Game-Labs Forum

Events explained in detail

Hello captains

We would like to share some more information on the forthcoming updated events and gather your thoughts for final tuning. Previous events despite being open for all were not inclusive and allowed prizes for the select few. We wanted to retain the challenge component but fix the problem that the majority did not even have a chance to have fun in those events. 

PVP events.

PvP events will run 3 times a day in 2 pre-selected location in the Caribbean (alternating between shallow and deep water). The event is basically a zone where all captains can arrive in the ship they want and pvp against others. Zone will be clearly indicated on the map when it starts and server announcement will be published. Initial times for the events will be set for EU, Far east and US prime times. Sinking other players grants player points. By the end of the event top 10 victors will receive a special reward in form of the deadman's chest alternative granting ship customizations, blueprints upgrades and ship redeemables. Victory points will depend on the class of the vessel you sink. Player AI fleets will be disabled in that zone and will not arrive to battle when it starts. 

The only concern we have is the potential for the arranged battles (where players will give each other points for victory by alternating sinking and winning). But initially we are ok with that risk because due to small size of the zone trying to use under-crewed ships might just grant more victories to people who actively hunt for enemies.

PvE challenges

Two types of challenges will be added available from the lobby

• Ironman pve challenge: Player will be tested against constant stream of NPC reinforcements in the instance. 
  • Time trial pve challenge. Player will be tested on how fast he can sink 1-2 NPC enemies.

Event will run 24/7 and can be repeated multiple times until you are satisfied with the results. The leaderboards will be reset after the event ends giving everyone the chance to try to get the prize. 

If popular - challenges can be expanded in the future allowing the player to challenge himself in various ship to ship actions from demasting to boarding or sinking a first rate in a cutter.

Prizes

In the first iterations of the events top 10 captains on the leaderboards will be provided with a prize. Leaderboards will be reset when individual event ends. Because events will run all the time and pvp events are split into timezones everyone will have a chance, as time spent on the events will not matter and only player skill will decide the result. in the future tiered leaderboards can be implemented - but for the current online one will be enough (we think).

Lets see how it goes. And lets discuss

• Like 23

5 minutes ago, admin said:

Previous events despite being open for all were not inclusive and allowed prizes for the select few.

By the end of the event top 10 victors will receive a special reward.

Previous events allowed prizes for the select few so now only 10 will have rewards... Genius...

Is something made to counter the PvP kills of the alts ? Because now a player with 2 accounts will just have to capture his alt in a big ship to get high ranking in the leaderboard... Genius too...

• Like 4

PvP challenge sounds fun but we will have to see how 3 each day will affect the regular open word PvP.

And I am not sure if there should be PvE events on PvP servers (I guess these challenges apply to both PvP and PvE servers?). Because I do not think that rewarding players for playing with nothing but AI ships is something for a PvP server.

Edited by Sir Isaac Redwood
  • Like 1

Maybe allow some form of pvp currency from pvp kills in those zones during events which can then be traded for deadman's chests or something? That way everybody can get them if they work hard and/or long enough on it, so more people will be willing to try and participate even if they don't have top rank exceptional upgraded 1st rates.

• Like 5

Why don't just use a lobby for this instead of OW? What are the players there supposed to do? Wait around for an opponent?

Just make a lobby with a challenge and answer system so players can match each other appropriately.

Having it in the OW simply breaks roleplay and immersion to me.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Diodo said:

Why don't just use a lobby for this instead of OW? What are the players there supposed to do? Wait around for an opponent?

Just make a lobby with a challenge and answer system so players can match each other appropriately.

I think it has multiple reasons, and the fact it is in OW will make sure it has a select group of participants, it will prevent people from using their vic or santi in a 1vs1 fight as they need to sail out there otherwise. Can't rejoin immediatly after a loss (I assume) also preventing people from just surrendering every fight till they get one that they can win easily. Maybe creating some PvP around the area. 

I think any addition you do to the game, that doesn't immediatly influence RvR is just a good addition for this game. It gives people something to do when not much is going down, or when they want to do something different for once.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Major General La Fayette said:

Previous events allowed prizes for the select few so now only 10 will have rewards... Genius...

Is something made to counter the PvP kills of the alts ? Because now a player with 2 accounts will just have to capture his alt in a big ship to get high ranking in the leaderboard... Genius too...

Join their battle and get that kill for you. Or propose the counter maybe instead of empty comments about nothing :)

2 minutes ago, Thomas Boyle said:

Online drops everyday and you are going to give rewards for only 10 people. Not bad.

Thats the purpose of the leaderboard is not it? To reward the best based on skill and their action. 
Events run 3 times per day maybe you can get there too if you are skilled enough. 

Unlike previous events which rewarded first come first served. These ones have clear rules and everyone can participate.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Diodo said:

Why it breaks your immersion. Admiralty sent you to a certain location to patrol an area. Accidentally enemy alliance admiralty also sent their captains to that location. Lobby is worse in this regard.  

If no-one comes to such designated pvp areas with good rewards then we all can finally agree that this game is PVE and nothing can make people to come out and fight ;). This will also answer the question why people don't pvp. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, admin said:

Why it breaks your immersion. Admiralty sent you to a certain location to patrol an area. Accidentally enemy alliance admiralty also sent their captains to that location. Lobby is worse in this regard.  

If no-one comes to such designated pvp areas with good rewards then we all can finally agree that this game is PVE and nothing can make people to come out and fight ;)

PVP was never a problem before! changes to the game have rendered PVP not worthwhile. So now people wont engage outwith the PVP areas because of less reward.

Edited by Bountyhunter
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bountyhunter said:

PVP was never a problem before! changes to the game have rendered PVP not worthwhile.

all OW features are proposed by players - we are the conduit during the test.. it will of course change on release. But in early access we must experiment to see whats good and whats bad. Some of the recent changes in the economy were obviously not good. But they were proposed by players and were tested by players. You are just witnessing the pure open development method. 

Just now, admin said:

all OW features are proposed by players - we are the conduit during the test.. it will of course change on release. But in early access we must experiment to see whats good and whats bad. Some of the recent changes in the economy were obviously not good. But they were proposed by players and were tested by players. You are just witnessing the pure open development method. 

So why make the statement if this doesnt work we can agree the game is PVE then? your contradicting yourself.

Will there be anything put in place to stop gank groups of 25 appearing and killing everything?  Maybe only give points if the BR is 'close'?  I know a lot of ppl are against artificial limits on battles on the OW, but if we're aiming to give prizes to the most skilled players in each time zone something like this will probably be needed ^^

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fellvred said:

Will there be anything put in place to stop gank groups of 25 appearing and killing everything?  Maybe only give points if the BR is 'close'?  I know a lot of ppl are against artificial limits on battles on the OW, but if we're aiming to give prizes to the most skilled players in each time zone something like this will probably be needed ^^

Only kills will count to the headboards. Assists won't.

Thus we believe that 25 player will just waste time if no other 25 player groups are around and will have to split up to increase their chances. Small groups and solo players will get most out of it. 

But if 30-50 players will arrive for each 3 sides (pirates, and alliances) then everyone will have a lot of fun. 

Just now, Thomas Boyle said:

How about OW NPC-fleets annoying us and breaking down PvP? So much time has passed you did nothing...

//

Did nothing is an overstatement. We are working on land in port battles and cannot switch. 

• Like 1

Dear Mr. Admin,

I like the concept.

It is now up to us the players,  to test it it out, see what works, and what does not work. And if there are exploits, to discover and expose them for further fine tuning.

Edited by Chijohnaok
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Only kills will count to the headboards. Assists won't.

Thus we believe that 25 player will just waste time if no other 25 player groups are around and will have to split up to increase their chances. Small groups and solo players will get most out of it. 

Will be interested to see how it goes but I can still see it devolving into ganks. If an average player turns up solo and most people are in groups of 3/4 there will be zero chance to kill anything so they will have to group up - exactly the same if the group of 3 finds groups of 8-10, and on and on... :)

Perhaps ALL battles in the area can be left open so groups won't be quite so important and we can have some truly epic battles on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Sorry but this pvp event and leaderboard idea is just plain wrong. 

Pvp events should be the conquest mechanic, this should replace hostility missions.  But small pvp zone on ow at set times, i have no words for this: this is just terribad idea just showing something is actually wrong and you took the worst idea to desperatly force pvp. It will fail.

And if you think this will not lead to gank fleets denying access to the zone to lone pvper's. And if you think that someone not willing to risk a large ship on the ow will move it where everyone is and risk it  on a zone 10x more dangerous with 10x more ennemies. If you think this will not lead to sailing next to ennemies with no tag cause " why not wait until we are in the zone for pvp: oh too bad he have plenty of friends there ready to gank me"

10 trophies is a joke.

Point for kill only ? How about surrenders ? Capture ?

Better create a separate pvp arena server and let the ow pvp ones slowly become pure pve/ empty serv.

29 minutes ago, admin said:

If no-one comes to such designated pvp areas with good rewards then we all can finally agree that this game is PVE and nothing can make people to come out and fight ;). This will also answer the question why people don't pvp. 

So are we going to be require to purchase another OP and sail safely to the Bahamas and stock it with ships just to be able to participate? If so, that means we lose production from an OP :(

Probably will not take part in PVP events as I prefer to find PVP on the OW.  Just seems too arena-ish. It's nice though that people can't use their fleets in the events. Is there still going to be a store for points gained through PVP battles elsewhere?

I can also see the pull circles being problematic, pulling in people who don't want in.

Edited by Anne Wildcat
  • Like 4

I like the return of events!

I'm not sure about the top 10 player thing though. If you have 10 players who got 2 kills and 30 players who got 1 kill these 30 will get nothing even though they sank more ships. Maybe you should get a prize for every 5 or 10 event kills overall?

In your design I think assists and deaths should count too. Leaderboards should go least deaths > most kills > most assists. This way, if you know a player stacked up a lot of kills he will become a higher priority target for the rest to push him off the leaderboard. Said player can now choose to either leave the area and secure his score or stay and rack up more kills.

48 minutes ago, admin said:

Did nothing is an overstatement. We are working on land in port battles and cannot switch. 

How about turning off all AI fleets on the OS? They add nothing to the game.  If players want to fight AI, they can pull missions; if they want protection, they can hug coasts / forts or work with other players. Just leave some AI traders for downtime farming.

• Like 5