Game-Labs Forum

Ship Building, Resource Pooling, and more

I was thinking about this game and something to increase the level of action in it. 

What I have noticed:

The Game is Fun!

The game is an insane amount of fun. In battles, especially against other players, the excitement, or horror is there. The tension flows with tides of battle, and peaks in both frustration and glorious success. Even before the battle starts, as you spot your enemy, or prey, you feel the action of Naval Action. Even after a hard won battle, another battle may be waiting outside of the battle which just adds to the excitement of the game.

The Ship Building

1. Every game, especially ones on grand scales, always feels like its missing something. BUT that is natural. No game will satisfy the infinite amount of wants an individual will have for any game they purchase. The ships in Naval Action are that missing feel for me. The amount of time it takes to craft, for the risk I put on it, just does not justify the means to build a ship I would want to sail. Now I know this is hard to understand so I'll list my suggestions:
  • Ships feel very macro when I build them, and for that reason I do not really use my hours. I rather just buy them.
    • I would gather a bunch of resources, throw it in a port, and spam my hours on a (lets be honest) clunky interface. My time is better spent buying a ship, or placing an order for it.
  • If I wanted to build my own ship, I would want:
    • To personally oversee and direct the construction of it. 
    • Where the port holes are.
    • Where the crew quarters are.
    • Where to double reinforce.
    • Manual placement of my modules
    • All of this in an animated scene, dynamic to my above actions. I want to see my hull being laid down over days for example.... slow like.
    • I would also like to hire contracts, but more on this later.

*More of an aside, but directly related.

The Resource Gathering

The AI traders are far too neglected as a resource unit. AI traders to me, are the most underdeveloped part of the game. Large AI fleets have a purpose, albeit niche, but what purpose do AI traders serve to the benefit of the nation in general? There needs to be some function to coordinate that resource as a nation, and I think voting might be the answer.

1. Admiralty of The Navy
  • As Admiralty of The Navy you are eligible to vote for 3 regions in which trader vessels will direct their focuses. 
  • As Admiralty of the Navy you and the other admirals will direct the efforts of the navy's resources and harness the full strength of your nation. 
    • Must be Rear Admiral.
    • Must be level 25 crafting.
    • Must have all ports unlocked.
    • Must have minimum 1 Ship Yard in any port.
  • A separate panel to directly hire any amount of trader vessels of the available AI fleet to deliver directly to you at the port of purchase. Requires empty delivery slot. Requires available contract slot. Max weight 1000. Max Return Interval 2 days. Minimum fee per day 85,000, and resource fees and insurance if desired.

1. Direct Voting
  • The above without regard to craft level or experience level.

1. Contraction of AI Trader Vessels Only
  • A separate panel to directly hire any amount of trader vessels of the available AI fleet to deliver directly to you at the port of purchase. Requires empty delivery slot. Requires available contract slot. Max weight 1000. Max Return Interval 2 days. Minimum fee per day 85,000, and resource fees and insurance if desired. Trader vessels become available immeidately after they are released from contract. Pay up front, or later but risk compounding penalties.
  • Votes direct the availability and are similar to politics voting. A percentage of the population of AI traders will be supplied to the corresponding ratio of votes any region may have received, to total votes.

Will update later tomorrow. Also, when switching from bullet point to numerals there was no support to change the actual number from 1 to a 2, etc.

Edited by Crayon
Added stuff.

1 hour ago, Crayon said:

I was thinking about this game and something to increase the level of action in it. 

What I have noticed:

The Game is Fun!

The game is an insane amount of fun. In battles, especially against other players, the excitement, or horror is there. The tension flows with tides of battle, and peaks in both frustration and glorious success. Even before the battle starts, as you spot your enemy, or prey, you feel the action of Naval Action. Even after a hard won battle, another battle may be waiting outside of the battle which just adds to the excitement of the game.

The Ship Building

1. Every game, especially ones on grand scales, always feels like its missing something. BUT that is natural. No game will satisfy the infinite amount of wants an individual will have for any game they purchase. The ships in Naval Action are that missing feel for me. The amount of time it takes to craft, for the risk I put on it, just does not justify the means to build a ship I would want to sail. Now I know this is hard to understand so I'll list my suggestions:
  • Ships feel very macro when I build them, and for that reason I do not really use my hours. I rather just buy them.
    • I would gather a bunch of resources, throw it in a port, and spam my hours on a (lets be honest) clunky interface. My time is better spent buying a ship, or placing an order for it.
  • If I wanted to build my own ship, I would want:
    • To personally oversee and direct the construction of it. 
    • Where the port holes are.
    • Where the crew quarters are.
    • Where to double reinforce.
    • Manual placement of my modules
    • All of this in an animated scene, dynamic to my above actions. I want to see my hull being laid down over days for example.... slow like.
    • I would also like to hire contracts, but more on this later.

*More of an aside, but directly related.

The Resource Gathering

The AI traders are far too neglected as a resource unit. AI traders to me, are the most underdeveloped part of the game. Large AI fleets have a purpose, albeit niche, but what purpose do AI traders serve to the benefit of the nation in general? There needs to be some function to coordinate that resource as a nation, and I think voting might be the answer.

1. Admiralty of The Navy
  • As Admiralty of The Navy you are eligible to vote for 3 regions in which trader vessels will direct their focuses. 
  • As Admiralty of the Navy you and the other admirals will direct the efforts of the navy's resources and harness the full strength of your nation. 
    • Must be Rear Admiral.
    • Must be level 25 crafting.
    • Must have all ports unlocked.
    • Must have minimum 1 Ship Yard in any port.
  • A separate panel to directly hire any amount of trader vessels of the available AI fleet to deliver directly to you at the port of purchase. Requires empty delivery slot. Requires available contract slot. Max weight 1000. Max Return Interval 2 days. Minimum fee per day 85,000, and resource fees and insurance if desired.

1. Direct Voting
  • The above without regard to craft level or experience level.

1. Contraction of AI Trader Vessels Only
  • A separate panel to directly hire any amount of trader vessels of the available AI fleet to deliver directly to you at the port of purchase. Requires empty delivery slot. Requires available contract slot. Max weight 1000. Max Return Interval 2 days. Minimum fee per day 85,000, and resource fees and insurance if desired. Trader vessels become available immeidately after they are released from contract. Pay up front, or later but risk compounding penalties.
  • Votes direct the availability and are similar to politics voting. A percentage of the population of AI traders will be supplied to the corresponding ratio of votes any region may have received, to total votes.

Will update later tomorrow. Also, when switching from bullet point to numerals there was no support to change the actual number from 1 to a 2, etc.

My bold emphasis above.

Shipyards are no longer in the game.  They were eliminated (in I believe) the last patch.