Game-Labs Forum

French frigate Aréthuse (1792) - 3D Model

T1ckL35

Arethuse definitely has a round frigate bow instead of the "square" bow with flat bulwark like some french frigates had. Not in itself unusual, most frigates did have a round bow, your last picture is correct.

What is unusual though is that most frigates of the period had the platform for the head below deck height like this,

HeadAcasta.png

Where on Arethuse from the detailed plans it looks almost like the head platform is up at the same level as the forecastle deck, supported by a pair of headrails that run from the catsheads (anchor supports) to the outstretched wings of the eagle figurehead. Unusual, but could be pretty.

Then again, there is a rail on the detailed plans running at the normal height where the head platform would be, so it's possible Arethuse had a more conventional bow and I'm just reading too much between the lines on the plan ;)

Thanks for the information and helpful image Alex - it is appreciated :)

I think the platform will sit along that upper rail, just seems more right while I am modelling (even though I wouldn't have a clue without you guys helping!)

Here is some blocking in. I'll add the platform next and see how it looks. Oh and those lower rails will bend in and conform to the hull line more.

hull-bow-26.png

Edited by T1ckL35
added sentence, wrong image

Decided to have a little break from the bow and started on the stern area. Still blocking some bits in around the edges.. the side windows are also too low/tall at the minute

hull-stern-28.png

Edited by T1ckL35
uploaded better picture
  • Like 3

ah, thanks guys - I couldn't quite make the writing out either so they confused me a little. Come to think of it, now you've said those I can read magazine in the middle of the left platform (between the curved lines) and breadroom just above it. The little box shapes to the left of those (from right to left read: something magazine, something light room and something something match room?

Decided to begin working on a 6 pounder cannon for the top deck whilst I try and figure out how the top of the stern deck area works. It *seems* like there might be another raised area judging by the upper deck plan (with doors?) and the elevated edge near the back in the side view. But then again maybe not - not having too much luck trying to figure it out based on the lack of reference material

hull-cannon-29.png

7 hours ago, T1ckL35 said:

Decided to begin working on a 6 pounder cannon for the top deck whilst I try and figure out how the top of the stern deck area works. It *seems* like there might be another raised area judging by the upper deck plan (with doors?) and the elevated edge near the back in the side view. But then again maybe not - not having too much luck trying to figure it out based on the lack of reference material

Yes, Arethuse has a second layer of stern cabins like this. Deck overhangs the partition a little, you can use the raised part of the hull as a guide.

Cabins.png

I'm building a different french frigate of about the same period, so if any pictures of parts would be useful as reference just let me know.

Hi Lieste - thanks for the detailed information, it is very interesting indeed. It has had me searching online for the terms and how they were used :)
Although I wont model it (for now at least) I'll probably end up looking for photos or pictures online to see how it all looked down below. Also interesting how they shed light into the areas of the ship where flame was a no go.

Thanks for the image Alex - that is perfect for clarifying what I was thinking but only guessing at. I'll definitely use that as a basis for getting that area blocked in now :)

Looks good. The deck is supposed to overhang a little to protect the paneling and doors, so you could extent that forward to the break in the hull sides. Maybe make the deck curvature more consistent to match the deck below (could get away with just fixing the front beam). Otherwise perfect :)

Sorry for the lack of updates - I've been combining all the parts into a single mesh to have a go at 3d printing the hull on a small scale.
Something along the lines of 1:900 or 1:1200 scale for use in games like 'Fire as She Bears' or 'Sails of Glory' or similar.

I'll try and get it done and printed and will post up some images if it works out ok

Edited by T1ckL35
  • Like 2

Well I found ambient occlusion in the viewport rendering options so decided to take some nicer pictures of the (nearly) completed solid object. Coming in around 6000 faces at the minute (3000 per side). I've thickened the edges around the decks, filled in the stern and lower deck and cut out some holes for masts - as can be seen in the third cross section picture. I'll probably do a simplified cannon for the upper decks and probably also do partly filled in gunports with a cannon front poking out or something.

hull-42.jpg

hull-41.png

hull-39.jpg

hull-40.jpg

Edited by T1ckL35
changing images to smaller jpgs to recover posting space

Yes you are right Lieste - and cutting the bottom of the boat in the solid model has brought it out even more in those pictures due to the lack of edge loops. I'll have a look at the vertical image slices again and see how to correct it. Looking back at the non merged model it doesn't look as pronounced but still needs some tweaking.

Yes, it appears to have creased the stern quite a bit when I cut it too. At least these problems mean I can tweak the main model a bit better. Thanks for pointing them out Lieste. Hopefully when I get around to the next ship then it'll be a bit less raw and I wont be struggling to figure out how to do things in the 3d program as much :)

Here's a simplified version of the hull with the (hopeful) aim of printing it out at about 50mm length for a board game size. I've simplified quite a bit of the smaller detail on the deck and the bow and removed the catheads as they would probably be too small to be printed. I've also added generic cannons on the main deck in the hope that they print ok:

hull-43-miniature.png

• Like 1