Game-Labs Forum

citing the book "The Sea Rover's practice: pirates tactics and techniques (author Benerson Little):

* "The Comte de Forbin correctly guessed that four English ships, although in appearance warships, were in behavior merchantmen".

* "Even telescopes could be deceived, and ultimately it was the commander's judgment that mattered most.  Jean Doublet was once suspicious of an unknown settee slowly rowing in a calm toward his small merchant vessel. Although there was peace among European nations and war only with the Saletins, he assumed the worst, that any vessel aproaching had to be considered a possible enemy- and this one had far too many men at the oars to be a merchantman. His own crew believed the vessel to be an Algerine, assuring Doublet that Saletins did not use the type of vessel approaching. A Spaniard in his crew dismised his concern, saying that like Don Quixote, Doublet saw an adventure in everything. But Doublet was not to be dissuaded. He made his ship clear for engaging, and as he feared, the vessel was a Salley rover. Although much weaker in force, Doublet aided by a brace of pistols, a lighted match, and a barrel of gunpowder, ordered his crew to fight, or die in flames where they stood. They fought".

That great book is plenty of other examples of how deceive was so important in the Age of Sails.

I think we need Disguise Perk. Must be a high one cost perk (like 6 or even 8 points). When enable, you can chose to sail with any flag (but can be attacked by any nation too).  As above quoted, behavior and commander's judgment mattered most. We need something like this.
  • Like 3

I think it's absolutely something to explore. I believe it has been mentioned before, but not really discussed in detail. There's a lot of potential for grief and whining though, by people getting attacked by apparent greens and loosing their ship or cargo. Already having disabled attacking allied smuggler players, probably due to abuse, any implementation of this idea risks being prone to the same kinds of abuses and more on top of that. But if it could be implemented in a good way, or even just tested, I would be interested. False flags were a part of the age of sail.

• Like 3

I think you have to define what the in game effect of the disguise would be.

For example:

Making a British player appear to be a French player could work.  But how would this work for tag circles. The ruse would end as soon as a cautious player test clicked an attack circle. Soon every player would learn to test attack every ship they meet at max range before it gets close.

Making a British player look like a French NPC would probably never work. The AI moves differently than player ships. Its an easy spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bach said:

I think you have to define what the in game effect of the disguise would be.

For example:

Making a British player appear to be a French player could work.  But how would this work for tag circles. The ruse would end as soon as a cautious player test clicked an attack circle. Soon every player would learn to test attack every ship they meet at max range before it gets close.

Making a British player look like a French NPC would probably never work. The AI moves differently than player ships. Its an easy spot.

Thats the point: if a player can replicate the AI behavior at OW, he can ilude the enemy. Always will be careless ppl anyway. you cant assume 100% of ppl will react the same way, that is the funny part of a ruse: human behavior.

Edited by Roche Brasiliano

1 hour ago, Jean Ribault said:

Maybe this works; for pirate only though.

and to smugglers of all nations too...by other hand, can be a usefull way to implement privatering in game, as a player can receive letter of marque to use other nation flag (just though).

Edited by Roche Brasiliano