Game-Labs Forum

Unknown 74gun Ship of the line

Mirones

It looks like she's a German ship. The livery used is certainly not a conventional English color scheme, and the stern offers a clue as well. The flags over the Great Cabin almost seem to have an eagle in them? Could be Prussian Eagle, or just an overall symbol of the HRE. The figurehead contradicts this, however, as the guy looks like he's in English naval dress, and just looks English with that face.

Usually searching Google for similar images helps, but may have to dig deeper here! :P

I'm still looking, but hitting dead-ends everywhere.  My belief is the key to making an educated guess as to which ship this is is going to be dependent on identifying the figurehead.  If the figurehead is a representation of a real figure, then that will go a long way to putting a title on this ship.

The plans in the museum peg it as circa 1790 as well.

Edited by Haratik

It looks like she's a German ship. The livery used is certainly not a conventional English color scheme, and the stern offers a clue as well. The flags over the Great Cabin almost seem to have an eagle in them? Could be Prussian Eagle, or just an overall symbol of the HRE. The figurehead contradicts this, however, as the guy looks like he's in English naval dress, and just looks English with that face.

Well the Russian Empire used the Eagle also, so it could be Russian would make more sense since no German State in that time Periode had a big Warfleet.

A Google search gave me a picture of that figure head in another thread in the forum maybe the poster knows more -> http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/883-ship-figureheads/

Edited by Lonar

I'm 99% sure that's a british 74, probably one of the Bellona variant classes. Appears to have been built visually rather than from plans hence some inaccuracies in hullform, but the details are all british style.

I'm curious as to what ship she is, regardless of nationality, and who is the figurehead a representation of?