Game-Labs Forum

Response to a review

Hello Captains

Steam reviews system gives players the opportunity to express their good feelings or frustration towards the games they played. Based on steam review policies if the review provides wrong information and misleads other users the developer can and should respond.

This is a reply to the following steam review

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991377081/recommended/311310/

Having found enough early access content for 760+ hours the reviewer decided to focus his review on developers instead of the game. In his review he posted multiple claims that are not true. We would like to address those statements in the reply. 

Statement 1: “constructive criticism is not welcome”.

Just a quick glance on game labs private forums and on steam forums shows that this statement is not true.

Game-labs constantly engage users in conversation and our developers are extremely active on the forums. We collect criticism and welcome it.

Here are some examples

Annoyances collection: http://steamcommunity.com/app/311310/discussions/1/458607699622162261/

Criticism collection: http://steamcommunity.com/app/311310/discussions/1/348292787748103360/

A lot of other similar topics exist both on steam and game-labs forums.

Multiple feedback collections topics are active and are constantly reviewed by developers. Just check any of the sections on our forums. We actively seek opinions on every game feature and try to improve them based on user feedback. The forums are full of critics and critical comments are the foundation of our open development methods.

Even more – we often ask our users to help us prioritize the work and help us focus the most important features for them.

Voting on the priorities: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/12471-development-priorities-2

Voting on ships we should make for players: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/8340-player-ship-selection-1st-half-2016-final-poll

The statement of blocking criticism is simply untrue.

Statement 2. Exclusive special ships for moderators and testers

The author claimed that there are some mystical premium ships planned for testers and moderators.

This is not true.

There are no special ships for moderators. Everyone who plays the early access edition is a tester. Every tester (every player who bought the game in the early access game) will receive the reward for helping us find and fix bugs and fine tune content.

The reviewer himself (his name is Captain Seven) is dishonest with review readers about availability of exclusive rare ships. For example he complained several times on forums that he hates the fact that he cannot get the unique ship (pre-order yacht) and it makes the game bad for him.

http://forum.game-la...e-3#entry285462

But based on his ship transactions he actually acquired the pre-order yacht from Captain Atreides this summer for in game currency.  

Yet he claims in public that exclusive ships cannot be acquired by in game means.

Statement 3: False steam reviews and developer bribery

Author twists our words and takes them out of context.

We never said we give rewards for the reviews. Like all artists we just asked to rate our game and we did not specify if we want reviews to be positive or negative.  It is your Steam user right to leave a negative review if you don't like the game. We just said that positive reviews will make us work even harder, because it is how motivation works.

WdQwNjM.jpg?2

Statement 4: Bans for trolling new players in help chat.

Author of the review also spoke about our chat bans warnings for players speculating about something on forums.

This is an incorrect statement.

He forgot to mention in his review that those warnings were only targeting veteran players who decided to troll new players in help chat in game (a special chat channel for help questions for new players). For example telling a rookie captain that clicking a certain button will make their ship safe from another player attack.

Imagine buying the age of sail game, joining the help chat to ask a question, and then losing a hard earned ship with cargo because an experienced veteran decided that it is funny to lie to a new player in the help chat.

He completely omitted this information and twisted the facts presenting it in a completely different way. Age of sail was a time of honorable behavior. We would like our help chat to be really helpful and we feel the need to protect the new player at least in help chat.

Statement 5: On the removal of the feature based on comments

In all his statements the reviewer uses private individual comments made on private forums. Game-labs as a company is very neutral on official steam community hub. On private forums our employees are active in conversations and can say things that could differ from the official company position. Developers play the game and are players just like you. You should not always take their comments as the company's official position. For example the passionate private comment on the removal of trading XP from priorities eventually became not true, because trading XP was added to one of the recent patches in form of delivery missions.

Speech control, double standards and deletion of positive comments on his review.

Many steam users tried to comment on some of the misrepresentations in the review, the reviewer deleted their comments. That is why you only see comments that praise his review and don't see comments that say he could be wrong. Steam is a street – its harsh, but fair. If statements he posted were true, such developer should not have the right to be on Steam and the game would not have a positive rating.

Hope this helps.

Good luck at seas Captains.

To the community: we will not take action on that review and will let community decide on what to do with it. You can be our guides as you always did before. 

• Like 44

This is a great game, and it has been refreshing to be able to discuss ideas with the development team - not something you get to do often with other teams.

I would however encourage a more "muscular" moderation of the forum discussions - as worthwhile feedback is one that encourages open minded discussion of ideas and diverging opinions, rather than personal attacks.  The latter however is all too often present in the discussion threads - and the tolerance of that behavior is cancerous.

• Like 2

Speech control, double standards and deletion of positive comments on his review.

Many steam users tried to comment on some of the misrepresentations in the review, the reviewer deleted their comments. That is why you only see comments that praise his review and don't see comments that say he could be wrong. ...

To the community: we will not take action on that review and will let community decide on what to do with it. You can be our guides as you always did before. 

Wow, I would not have thought this was even possible.  IMO this has ethical if not legal implications for Steam to allow this to occur, since it could, and probably will, cause unfair loss of sales.  Sure, any poor review can cause loss of sales, but if someone is allowed to delete any and all contradictory posts and leave only the negative ones, then that is a deliberately lopsided review on the platform you are selling the game.

What a dirtbag.

Guessing he was one of the trolls who got banned and after 700+ hours invested, he's pretty mad about that. So creating a fake "review" was his revenge.

Wonder what he did to get so many upvotes. Guessing he played a sympathy card on a social media site somewhere and got a bunch of social justice warriors to "like" his fake review.

This is a great game, and it has been refreshing to be able to discuss ideas with the development team - not something you get to do often with other teams.

I would however encourage a more "muscular" moderation of the forum discussions - as worthwhile feedback is one that encourages open minded discussion of ideas and diverging opinions, rather than personal attacks.  The latter however is all too often present in the discussion threads - and the tolerance of that behavior is cancerous.

You mean Nation News section? there is a bit more soft policy but with limits ofc

If this is his opinion, he is free to post it. The devs are free to post a comment on his review. But even To think his review must be corrected is disgusting.

If he got smth wrong Just put it right.

Edited by Brogsitter

If this is his opinion, he is free to post it. The devs are free to post a comment on his review. But even To think his review must be corrected is disgusting.

Saying the "game is bad" in the review is the opinion and must be respected

But 

Saying the game has special secret premium ships for mods is just a lie. You can't put it right. It must be reported by the community for removal.

• Like 2

You should not remove it. Just put it right in a comment.

If bet this reviewer is moaning about the missing BP for the agga and the ocean

I will leave a comment, once i am home. But please consider to make all the BP available through crafting.

PS : Posting from a mobile suxx

Edited by Brogsitter

Wow i checked the comments, it is 1 giant circlejerk of butthurt idiots.

Actually quite funny and sad that such people have acces to the internet.

Keep up the work Devs, you are doing pretty good so far.

Edited by Roelandus
  • Like 1

You should not remove it. Just put it right in a comment.

If bet this reviewer is moaning about the missing BP for the agga and the ocean

I will leave a comment, once i am home. But please consider to make all the BP available through crafting.

PS : Posting from a mobile suxx

the guy is removing any comments that do not agree with his review

Dear devs, I understand your frustration, but please try to spend less of your time and energy on such salty reviews. The guy spent 760 hrs in game, so this person is either masochist and just being in bad mood. Keep calm and keep up the good work!

• Like 4

I will be repeating this many times, Devs have to reward players. 80% of people don't want changes in their lives and same applies here. Players like to collect stupid things. People are impatient and they want cool things now because they paid money for it. You have to balance things out. If you still don't realize it, then you should definitely look into it and see how you can benefit from it. 

My suggestion,

-give away free ships to all players with every patch, so we can test them and be happy. (Wipe will happen anyway.)

-add tons of loot and link it to delivery missions for greater rewards. Fleet and be happy. (I have my 300 ton frigate and all I get is Fish)? really?

-add pvp marks for player kills and have an exchange for rare items and ships. Kill and be happy.

-leaderboards. Show people how good you are and be cool!

It will keep all us happy until the wipe. Stay neutral and rage will go on, trust me. It feels like you forgot about PvE crowd and things they like to do. If I was you I would use things listed ^ as my secret weapon and do an unexpected massive come back.  ;)

This game is awesome, but unfortunately it's a puzzle that shattered into many pieces. 

• Like 4

I think that kind of anoying reviews should be accepted, ignored and this kind of threads avoided. It is not helping you devs at all.

If you consider a review is offtopic, unfair and/or break any kind of rule you can report them IN STEAM and that should be all. I had had to do it myself several times.

I would prefer to look at it this way....

From the great movie "Hoosiers", 1986:

Look, mister, there's... two kinds of dumb, uh... guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don't matter, the second one you're kinda forced to deal with.

Steam is their living room.

• Like 1

The problem is the guy wrote a very long review that is top of reviews that many people will see first.  He got a lot of folks that don't even play the game to come over and up the review.   If you say anything negative or give actual facts to counter his review he will delete your comment.   Many of us a good while ago added counter points that proved his review mostly false in content and he removed all those comments.

Oh and I heard some where the guy only had all those hours on PvE and didn't even play on either of the PvP servers....lol

• Like 1

Saying the "game is bad" in the review is the opinion and must be respected

But 

Saying the game has special secret premium ships for mods is just a lie. You can't put it right. It must be reported by the community for removal.

There is one ship though that is a given out and that was the Yatch, but it's not like it's something super special.  It's what just a cutter pretty much with a different skin for the most part?   Hell I haven't seen one in ages for the most part.

I would prefer to look at it this way....

From the great movie "Hoosiers", 1986:

Look, mister, there's... two kinds of dumb, uh... guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don't matter, the second one you're kinda forced to deal with.

Steam is their living room.

Honestly I don't get what do you mean... Why you don't express yourself in a more plain way? Hhahhaa

There is one ship though that is a given out and that was the Yatch, but it's not like it's something super special.  It's what just a cutter pretty much with a different skin for the most part?   Hell I haven't seen one in ages for the most part.

that ship is real???? i have played for a year and never seen 1.

My suggestion,

-give away free ships to all players with every patch, so we can test them and be happy. (Wipe will happen anyway.)

-add tons of loot and link it to delivery missions for greater rewards. Fleet and be happy. (I have my 300 ton frigate and all I get is Fish)? really?

-add pvp marks for player kills and have an exchange for rare items and ships. Kill and be happy.

-leaderboards. Show people how good you are and be cool!

Iam really not shure if Irony or not :unsure: ....

Edited by Lonar