Game-Labs Forum

The game comes across as very realistic, and each update seems to make it even more so.  There are some things that jar (and feel more out of place after each update), as they just don't fit, like "clans" instead of "Fleets", or being able to sail by a huge enemy AI fleet with impunity as it never attacks on its own initiative.

The way the pirates are now is the same, it just doesn't come across as quite being as realistic as the rest of the game.  I have some ideas for pirate benefits, as well as some liabilities that would, I think, (hope) still keep pirates as a faction that people will play, and also be a better fit to the game overall.

Benefit:

Pirate ships are faster than other player ships

Historical basis:

Pirates were fanatical about keeping their hulls cleaned, but they lacked shipyards to clean larger ships.

Tweak:

5th rate ships and below should keep this benefit, Fourth, and 3rd rate ships should have no benefit, and 2nd and first rate ships would have a minus speed benefit (this also being one reason pirates didn't have larger ships).

Benefit:

Pirates were better marksmen with guns than even naval marines

Historical basis:

Pirates had to make landfall and hunt game for food.  They had more practice then their military counterparts, and if they didn't become good shots, they went hungry.

Tweak: Pirates should have a plus with regards to handguns, and muskets

Benefit:

Pirates should have a benefit when boarding ships.

Historical basis:

Everything they did was to ensure ships they wanted to capture would surrender quickly.

tweak:  Pirates should have boarding bonuses for boarding ships, more so for merchant ships.

Liabilities:

Pirates didn't have shipyards, even if they did, they wouldn't have naval architects, carpenters, craftsmen, etc. to man the shipyards.

Pirates should be limited in the kinds of ships they can craft, offsetting this, they should be able to keep ANY ship they capture.

Liability:

Pirates didn't have access to brass or iron foundries or casting houses (as per shipyards)

Pirates should be limited in their ability to purchase canons above a certain size.

Also, pirate gunnery should have a negative modifier above a certain class of cannon as they were challenged to outfit their ships with cannons that were matched sets (another reason they didn't have larger ships like 3rd 2nd and 1st rates).  Pirates would be limited to 9 or 12 pound cannons, and large ships (3rd, 2nd and 1st rates) would have negative modifiers to accuracy and damage.

If the above were introduced, then pirates would have some significant advantages with regards to 5th rate and lower ships, but would be disadvantaged with 3rd rate and higher ships.  More of their ships would be captured ships and fewer would be crafted/purchased, so to be fair, there should be an additional tweak to hit points (or improved damage control...etc) to off set the loss in durability.  They would retain an advantage in boarding.  4th rate ships would be on average the same as all other nations.

An additional idea would be to allow them easier access to all ports, but have a slight chance of being discovered (in reality, getting caught historically would result in being hung or placed in a gibbet at the ports entrance so all could see the dying pirate, or his corpse)...in game, maybe would result in the loss of the players ship and cargo, or possibly a percentage of wealth in fines (bribes) to escape.

I think the above would make pirates a lot more realistic.  They gain advantages at the lower level ships, are on par with everyone at the middle levels, but have some disadvantages with larger ships, they lose ship crafting ability, and lose easy access to cannons, but gain the ability to retain all captured ships, including 1st rates.  Plus they would have boarding bonuses at all levels. 

One thing I don't have a suggestion on is fleet size.  Pirates only very seldom operated in fleets and then only small groups of ships (up to 3 ships, not very often more than 3).  Pirate captains generally didn't submit to another pirates authority, and also there wasn't a huge amount of trust when it came to splitting the spoils afterwards.  A large decrease in the amount of prize money and goods could be imposed if the pirates had more than a certain number of ships in a battle but, I can't think of an offset to that (and I did come up with offsets for everything else).

As the game is now, it seems pirates have advantages, and no disadvantages and are more like a separate nation than a loose confederation of outlaws. Assuming the game coding would allow the tweaks I'm suggesting, I think the above would make pirates be more like pirates, and still keep them as a viable faction.

• Like 2

Pirates should be a real outlaw faction with an ability to attack anyone or be attacked by anyone. But i really doubt that pirates need any special ships or "skills" - we have a realistic game, not a PotBS. 

The next patch will bring us some new interesting features - and Raiding is one of them. So if u wanna play as a real pirate, you'll be gifted with an ability to raid ports and hunt the traders.

But pirates should be a faction, not a nation. If pirates could attack anyone, except those who are their clan mates/group members and there would be no penalty for shooting the pirate, even if he's on your side in battle - we'll get a brand new interesting game play as a pirate, but without exploits like defense tagging pirate vs pirate. Pirates are criminals, completely outlaw and there should be no penalty for attacking or shooting them whoever u are.

• Like 1

Something everyone seems to forget when talking about pirates not having shipyards or access to cannons etc and that is pirates didnt walk around a town with a sign saying hey im a pirate, and they didnt sail the open sea LET ALONE into a port with a big black flag and sign saying hey im a pirate.

They would have access to shipyards, armor, weapons and anything the common merchant or privateer would have.

There was no mouse curser to put over someones head in real life to see his faction and if he didn't have a national flag well bummer.

Many misconcepts ( which are simply the opposite of the reported history ) but overall the very same suggestions as always.

You forget one of the most important things to sea rovers - crew.

In game a pirate shouldn't simply push a button and refill crew, therefore loss of crew is catastrophic, hence why many if not all sea rovers did not attack prepared enemies as they would stood no chance. No idea where the boarding bonus would come from unless it would versus trader classes.

One of the times they had to face a force of ready marines and dragoons they were pushed back with roughly fifty casualties to a mere half a dozen to the spanish.

Another thing is that during their navy and maritime time they did so many menial tasks aboard that going on the account to spend their time doing the same was not a reality.

• Like 1

As the game is now, it seems pirates have advantages, and no disadvantages and are more like a separate nation than a loose confederation of outlaws. Assuming the game coding would allow the tweaks I'm suggesting, I think the above would make pirates be more like pirates, and still keep them as a viable faction.

Please do tell us what this advantage is exactly?   Cause as of right now Pirates are exactly like any other nation except for one thing.  THEY ARE AT WAR WITH EVERY ONE......which means they have no alliance.  This is a disadvantage not an advantage.  Other than that they have all the same stuff as nationals have.  Even the Nationals have there own special perk of faster reload than the Pirates speed and that isn't really a big deal now as it's the same as the ship class perks, but cost 1 more, but you don't have to reset to use it on more than one type of ship.

So once again what are these advantages?   Remember we are trying to get the National mechanics worked out first and than the devs will work on Pirate stuff.  Until than can you guys give it a rest and just TEST THE DANG GAME like the rest of us?

Oh and remember historically most folks we would call pirates where actually Privateers for one nation, it was the other nations that called them Pirates cause of there actions.   Many of these Privateers where former Navy for one nation or another.  So would run there ships prob much like they did when they had a commission.

Edited by Sir Texas SIr

Have the devs even said they are going to rework the pirates? Would be nice if they shared their ideas on a thread.

I think at one time they said so and even mentioned it in one of the update plans but i have never seen what that rework will be how it will be put in or if it is still comming.

This last update REALLY makes it look like pirates are going to be a nation.

I think at one time they said so and even mentioned it in one of the update plans but i have never seen what that rework will be how it will be put in or if it is still comming.

This last update REALLY makes it look like pirates are going to be a nation.

What I am thinking too.. just with no allies..and all enemies.

It is an advantage IMO.

I could raid any trader I wanted, anywhere.

If that's not a plus I have no idea what kind of pyracy you are playing :)

Kinda nice not being locked into not being able to attack some one cause of some silly votes by other players.   FREEDOM........

Yeah this could be thier idea of "hard core" mode. MEh ide rather play a nation and be a privateer clan.

It would be nice if Pirates where actually hat.  Privateers that can work for one nation or another at any given time but not limited to any of them.  So say clan A has Letters to work with the Brits.  While Clan B is working with the Spanish.  Than you got DOOM and his guys just saying screw it and killing every one.   Clan vs Clan within pirates can fight each other.   Than say a week or two later Clan A and B are now on the French side killing Spanish and Brits.   While DOOM and his guys are still just being those annoying thorns in every ones side.

But..problem with that is you can't attack everything..why I changed.. I was limited to fighting only pirates..

Your alliances take away a lot of fights.

FREEDOM......

All honestly we are getting a lot of people switching over to Pirates on PvP2 cause none of the nations are fighting each other.  US and Brits the two largest nations have been allied with each other for so long it's silly.  I mean some folks like the Dutch/French/Swede Fight the Danes and the Brits fought them some too, but there really isn't any true Nation vs Nation going on.  It's mainly every one trying to kill the Pirates and they are doing a very poor job of it.   Remember Brit the second largest Nation was brought down to one port just in the last month by one clan of Pirates for the most part.   

Though until they get these National mechanics worked out Pirates are a Nation that is at war with every one and gets no alliance.  Hopefully when they are happy with these mechanics they will work on some for the Pirates to be different.  Until than lets all be good happy play testers and test the game.

Kinda nice not being locked into not being able to attack some one cause of some silly votes by other players. FREEDOM........

It would be nice if Pirates where actually hat. Privateers that can work for one nation or another at any given time but not limited to any of them. So say clan A has Letters to work with the Brits. While Clan B is working with the Spanish. Than you got DOOM and his guys just saying screw it and killing every one. Clan vs Clan within pirates can fight each other. Than say a week or two later Clan A and B are now on the French side killing Spanish and Brits. While DOOM and his guys are still just being those annoying thorns in every ones side.

FREEDOM......

All honestly we are getting a lot of people switching over to Pirates on PvP2 cause none of the nations are fighting each other. US and Brits the two largest nations have been allied with each other for so long it's silly. I mean some folks like the Dutch/French/Swede Fight the Danes and the Brits fought them some too, but there really isn't any true Nation vs Nation going on. It's mainly every one trying to kill the Pirates and they are doing a very poor job of it. Remember Brit the second largest Nation was brought down to one port just in the last month by one clan of Pirates for the most part.

Though until they get these National mechanics worked out Pirates are a Nation that is at war with every one and gets no alliance. Hopefully when they are happy with these mechanics they will work on some for the Pirates to be different. Until than lets all be good happy play testers and test the game.

Lmao, at times i am pretty sure we have been thorns in everyones side , including pirates....mostly pirates at times hahahaha.

But yeah that would.be cool. IVe suggested a "nuetral faction" many times amd it would buy flags of nations it wamted.to help and attack the others and be kos.

i mentioned in the dev patch thread the following idea.....

"I would Love to See some ideas for the pirate gameplay. Something like that.

1. the Pirates are no Nation anymore and have no cities.

2. you will be known as single pirate or as member of a Clan.

3. as a pirate you can enter in every city. But only in cities from a Nation who is friendly to you.

4. a nation is not friendly when you or your clan gain to many hostility points by hunting or capping ships from this Nation.

5. if you are hostile to a nation you can achieve a better realationship by activities against the Nations Enemy. For example if britain hates you and is at war with france and you kill French ships, your hostility Level will reduce slowly for britain.

6. pirate clans can establish a hideout. They can found in on the map by themself. Its like the clanwarehouse. You can refit and repair but you cant craft ships.

7. if a Nation find the hideout then they can attack and destroy it.

8. mortimer town will change to a free town (for the purpose nobody lost his stuff)

9. pirates can craft in every City they can enter.

10. a Nation can decide by vote to give all pirates amnesty or declare all pirates to enemys. So it is dangerous to have all your stuff in a nations City.

11. in the OW your hostile Status will be shown to a nations player so he can decide to Attack or not. But he can attack even if you are friendly.

Ps: or maybe Pirates can not craft but capping ships with Full dur!"

"Admin you mentioned that youre worried about that many pirate player Are happy about the actual Situation. My idea is you can split the faction into 2 and we can choose on which side we want to go ahead. the one side will remain as the so called republic of nassau and we can call them Buccaneers or something instead of pirates and the other side will continue as "real" pirates.

You can avoid the problem about the possibility of the "real" Pirates by attackin eachother and then hiding in battle by not closing this battle. If 2 outlaws choose to fight against eachother everybody should be able to join so Nobody can hide"

• Like 1

I would love to see what pvp2 would look like with out US and British allied.. they do it for safety.

Which I don't get they are the two largest nations.   They just don't under stand it was about 15-20 BLACK players (Throw in some other Pirates too) that took most of US ports and than took Brits down to one port.  It's because well organized and active clans can do a lot in a game even when way out number.  Though it's looking like with this next vote cycle some of the old alliances are being broken and it won't be just every one at war with the Danes and Spain (of course pirates).  Which might make things lighten up a bit.  We really need to see more Nation vs Nation action in game and not just every one against pirates.

We figure if we stop the port battles and such maybe the nations will get board of each other and fight each other, instead it just caused more folks to roll pirate so they have some one to fight with.

Lmao, at times i am pretty sure we have been thorns in everyones side , including pirates....mostly pirates at times hahahaha.

But yeah that would.be cool. IVe suggested a "nuetral faction" many times amd it would buy flags of nations it wamted.to help and attack the others and be kos.

To be honest we have talked a lot if there was ever outlaw we would stop the nation stuff and go more like true pirates with the raid system and such. It's just until we have such a system we need to play as Nations to keep things going, but hay I'm pretty sure we are still the most hated clan on the server.  Though I kinda been missing the Dutch calling me a hacker.  Haven't fought with those guys in a good while.

Here is my suggestion, which many will not like. I have not thought it completely through so it will probably need tweaking.

Pirates can raid ports for resources but not capture ports. The only ports pirates can own are free ports, which is a hinderance to crafting as there are no regional bonuses. If they want a ship with regional bonuses, they need to capture it. However, maybe let pirates have Kidds area so they can build a pirate refit. They can dock warships at free ports.

Now as nationals are for conquest, they can only have trade ships in their dockyard at free ports. They will need to fight on fronts. If they want to earn hostility at an area not near them or an ally, they will have to sail there.

Edit

Another suggestion would be, no one can dock warships at free towns, but maybe have more armed trade ships and maybe some which are pirate only?

Edited by Anne Wildcat
  • Like 2

Kinda nice not being locked into not being able to attack some one cause of some silly votes by other players.   FREEDOM........

Never had issues with attacking anyone I wished. Only issues I had was to be joint force against a common enemy due to a triplet War status between the battle participant and that's not even worth mentioning.

What does that has to do with pyracy aka. robbers at sea ? We are looking with different lenses to the same subject :)

Be the Tortuga brotherhood or the Nassau republic the black nation apparently is here to stay as such. *shrugs*

Comes down to the player to self-impose a proper pirate playstyle with all the limitations needed to properly RP, which is excellent as the game provides room for it being a nice sandbox.

They do it because 60% of the server is pirate and its the only way to beat the pirates back.

Hahahaa dude!! Its so not. ALTHOUGH i do wish people would quit joining it its hardly 60% unless you have some statistics youre hiding. You guys are being smacked sround by about 30 guys. 30 guys at most even. The pirates are not a large faction we are 3rd in population.

Hahahaa dude!! Its so not. ALTHOUGH i do wish people would quit joining it its hardly 60% unless you have some statistics youre hiding. You guys are being smacked sround by about 30 guys. 30 guys at most even. The pirates are not a large faction we are 3rd in population.

I remember somewhere the devs saying it, but it was a while ago.

I remember somewhere the devs saying it, but it was a while ago.

I doubt that but maybe they was referring to one server or the other. I knowon pvp2 there is constant complaining of the pirates having so many people and as a pirate i can see thats not true. Uless they are invisible.

It would be nice if Pirates where actually hat.  Privateers that can work for one nation or another at any given time but not limited to any of them.  So say clan A has Letters to work with the Brits.  While Clan B is working with the Spanish.  Than you got DOOM and his guys just saying screw it and killing every one.   Clan vs Clan within pirates can fight each other.   Than say a week or two later Clan A and B are now on the French side killing Spanish and Brits.   While DOOM and his guys are still just being those annoying thorns in every ones side.

FREEDOM......

All honestly we are getting a lot of people switching over to Pirates on PvP2 cause none of the nations are fighting each other.  US and Brits the two largest nations have been allied with each other for so long it's silly.  I mean some folks like the Dutch/French/Swede Fight the Danes and the Brits fought them some too, but there really isn't any true Nation vs Nation going on.  It's mainly every one trying to kill the Pirates and they are doing a very poor job of it.   Remember Brit the second largest Nation was brought down to one port just in the last month by one clan of Pirates for the most part.   

Though until they get these National mechanics worked out Pirates are a Nation that is at war with every one and gets no alliance.  Hopefully when they are happy with these mechanics they will work on some for the Pirates to be different.  Until than lets all be good happy play testers and test the game.

Privateers were not pirates, not really.  They were granted a letter of Marque that provided them the ability to engage and disrupt commerce of enemy nations.  But the key fact here is that Privateers were officially sanctioned by their nation.  They weren't pirates that one day decided to be privateers.  It usually went the other way, Privateers that wanted more money and so started attacking off-limits shipping.  In reality, all the "Nation" players are privateers because we are our own owners and captains.  The nation doesn't tell us what to do, the nation doesn't provide ships for specific purposes.