Game-Labs Forum

Tutorial/Guide Requests

Hey everyone. 

I know there is a lot of tutorials out there already and most can be found in the pinned topic in this section of the forum called: "The Big List of Naval Action Guides".

However, i'm sure everything isn't covered in the guides/tutorials out there. Furthermore i'm sure some of the old guides/tutorials are outdated by now. 

Because of this i thought i'd make this Topic. 

If there is something you think there should be a tutorial/guide you can request it in this Topic. Please use the following format: 

Request: 

1. Guide/Tutorial for Basic Manual Sailing.

2. Guide/Tutorial for Advanced Manual Sailing.

Format:

1. Text Based Guide/Tutorial.

2. Video Based Guide/Tutorial.

If you see a request for a Guide/Tutorial you would like to write just write in the comments something like: 

"I would like to make Guide/Tutorial for "Basic Manual Sailing" as requested by xxx_PlayerName_xxx." 

I will try to list all the Requests in the OP and also add if someone has volunteered to make a Tutorial/Guide for that Request. 

I'm doing this because i know how great our community is and i know the learning curve for this game can be rather steep.  I hope we can work together to make the newcomer experience in the game better. 

Cheers. 

Tommy Shelby. 

• Like 14

List of potential Guide/Tutorial makers: (Want your name added just send me a PM). 

- Tommy Shelby (Me) 

- SteelSandwich

- OlavDeng2

List of Requests:

1. User Interface Guide (Port and OW).
- OW guide: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/16840-tutorialguide-requests/?p=3222992. 

- Port Guide: Work in Progress.

2. Evasive Maneuver Guide (PvP - OW and Battle): 

3. Complete "Treatise" on Naval Action (See Doran Treatise): 

4. Port Battle Guide:
http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/16840-tutorialguide-requests/&do=findComment&comment=340999

Edited by TommyShelby
  • Like 2

Id like an advanced fishing guide, not only where to find what but also where to sell what fish and what fish to make fishmeat out of aswell as good ships/perk setups for fishing and how to avoid getting ganked while fishing and so on =)

edit, i made a little experience with droprate of sealed bottles.

i went out from gustavia, sailed east past codrington to the border of the map. at the east map border i turned north and sailed as far north as north goes, rounded sommerset and went west following the northern border of the map until i could see the coast of america, here i turned 180 and sailed back east, rounded sommerset again and sailed south past swedish waters all the way down to saint joseph town, turned north again up and rounded codrington and vent back to gustavia.

this was a fishing trip in a le gros ventre that took over 10 hours, i managed to round up over three thousand tons of fish and one sealed bottle, just one (1)

Edited by Lurken
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Pad Seayew said:

I'd love to see a tutorial on Evasive Maneuvers.  Just getting established on PvP and finding it extremely difficult to counter stern rakers and sail shredders.

Video preferred.

Indeed. A defensive guide including OW positioning, wind keeping, and crew/modules management through the engagement would be priceless for many.

• Like 2

hey guys,

i would really appreciate a tutorial on port battles.

I can't find any that would be up to date and to be honest I'm not quite sure how port battle mechanics work, together with screening, etc.

Because of that I avoid going to port battles because I'm worried that I will screw something up either with screening or in the port battle itself.

And I'm sure there are a lot of other noobs out there that need help with it too.

• Like 2

Updated with new Requests and Rediii's basic PB Guide. 

I'm still working on the Port Interface Guide, i'm doing it in text because i personally prefer that. I'll try to have it done soon but real life and fun is getting in the way! :)

As for the Complete Treatise requested by Aegir it is hard to make such a thing.
Would it entice everything from the very basics when you start up the game to the more complex mechanics of the game? 
Would it include Battle Tactics like in Doran's?

I think it is a great idea and i was working on a new version similar to the one Doran made. But with new patches etc. everything changed and suddenly the stuff i had been working on was outdated and i basically had to make a new version so i quit the project for the time being.
I will think about how to approach the subject, if i find a good solution then i might start working on that again. 

• 1 month later...

There has been a lot of projects with different approaches and on different media, from the usual YT vids down to great old style (e)paper manuals.

Time to get a team going and do it.

Rally a crew and get to work. What do you need ?

44 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Has anyone considered making an actual manual, not terribly in-depth, but enough to look like a game manual? I know we have a ton of forum threads, but maybe we can make a post with links to the thread topic...a one-stop-shop of sorts?

I actually did make a 70% or so of a full manual to every aspect of the game. But then a patch hit and everything changed so i basically had to redo it. 
And considering that i was at 23 pages and still not done, having to redo that was erhm, demoralizing. 

Once we get closer to release it will be worth it, and i think, much appreciated by the Developers. But untill then there is no point in making a "complete manual" in my opinion. 

When it comes to a list of all tutorials:

If you want guides/tutorials added to that list, PM @OlavDeng2:)

Edited by TommyShelby
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I realy think this would be more something for closer to release cause I got a feeling a lot of things will change several times before we even get close to that date.  Though hopefully by time we do we have some good info for new players that isn't just all user made.

Exactly - I've been helping with the wiki and NA is very much a moving target. Bad enough trying to keep the ship, mods and perk stats up to date without whole game mechanics being abandoned and reinvented. Recently added a new section based on the zone control PB system. Anyone sees any mistakes or think something's missing, PM me (or Olav) here in the forum.

Wiki

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Angus McGregor said:

Exactly - I've been helping with the wiki and NA is very much a moving target. Bad enough trying to keep the ship, mods and perk stats up to date without whole game mechanics being abandoned and reinvented. Recently added a new section based on the zone control PB system. Anyone sees any mistakes or think something's missing, PM me (or Olav) here in the forum.

Wiki

I'll check it out, I'm pretty much our clan resident forum whore and keeper of knowledge.   Being on lay off does have it's perks of being on line and up to date about every thing game related lol

That and this isn't my first Alpha test so I know how it is to work on things slowly as they change.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...