Game-Labs Forum

Next Ultimate General Game, What would you like to see?

michaelsmithern

Staying with the US civil war makes sense, but when they do go to Europe I would suggest rather than just Waterloo you could base a game around the the 4 days of campaigning, 15th to 18th June(maybe even on the 19th?) - Ligny, Quatre Bras, Wavre and Waterloo, it would suit the campaign style of UG far better than just Waterloo on the 18th. Indeed, it's as if UG was made for just such a campaign.

I would suggest the Peninsula war too. Some great battles there. The armies were always fairly even and Wellington always chose good, interesting ground.

BTW, it's a great game.

I'd like to watch the actual battles. Please someone tell me that this is possible. What I'd do just to zoom in and out, flying over the battlefield, 150 years after the fact to see how it unfolded.  

Maybe a crowd-source effort for the data collection? I'd jump to help out.

• Like 2

I'd like to watch the actual battles. Please someone tell me that this is possible. What I'd do just to zoom in and out, flying over the battlefield, 150 years after the fact to see how it unfolded.  

Maybe a crowd-source effort for the data collection? I'd jump to help out.

That should be pretty easy to with scripting. I like that idea.

• Like 1

Waterloo battle,with historical units and uniforms.

other option is a game with the historical united states civil war campaing with a strategic map,with historical events in campaign,historical generals and troops with battles Gettysburg game style,with realistic and historical manpower for every faction and only historical units in campaing,not invented regiments,brigades,all historical troops,activated for historical event in its historical date of recruitment in strategic map of the campaing.

• 2 weeks later...

The system is versatile enough to do any battle and with adjustments even a modern battle with tanks and planes.

I think a poll here would be good but, personally, I'd start from the ancient times, Rome (vs Samnites, then Carthage, then Gauls, etc) perhaps?

* NOT WATERLOO *

:lol:  sorry to shout but its been done to death! 

Big battles from the 18thC Austro-Turkish wars, War of the Spanish Succession, Great Northern War, Seven Years War, Napoleonic Wars, Seven Weeks War, Franco-Prussian War, or the Boer War would all be awesome

a campaign shell would be cool too

Oooh! Yes! Spanish Succession would be very welcome: Blenheim (Blindheim), Ramillies, et cetetra. I'd be up for that. :)

The system is versatile enough to do any battle and with adjustments even a modern battle with tanks and planes.

I think a poll here would be good but, personally, I'd start from the ancient times, Rome (vs Samnites, then Carthage, then Gauls, etc) perhaps?

Didn't Darth say in an interview for the game that he wanted to try to make a game based around Hellenic Era Greece? I would be really interested in that. Or perhaps even the Franco-Prussian war.

Though any historical period could be covered, I'd rather stay in this segment and use mostly the same combat model to cover the american revolution.

The DEVs could then sell DLC to support development by expanding these periods, so as we have Gettysburg here we could have Shiloh next and we could have the same with the revolution with Washington.

Considering the game is very cheap and DLC would be a lot cheaper, I'd say it's very well worth a shot.

I'm so sick of all the Waterloos and Antietams. Christ; sometimes it's like there were only six or seven battles fought in all of human history.

Couldn't we have something less well-known and beaten to death, for a change? A battle from one of the European succession-wars, or something like that?

• Like 1

I think you should do Sherman's march to the sea. The union has wide numerical superiority, but has to keep moving to feed itself. The confederates have to try to make them waste time at river crossings etc, while simultaneously striking at the cattle herd and supply wagon. The confederates should have the option of using a scorched earth strategy (which historically they declined to pursue). The union wins if they reach the ships waiting for them in Savannah with supplies. The confederates win if they can turn central georgia into a wasteland, and starve Sherman and his men.

* NOT WATERLOO *

:lol:  sorry to shout but its been done to death! 

That's cool, could you name your top three favourite Napoleonic games? I'm interested in trying them out. I already tried Napoleon's Last Battle (Smg engine) but the gameplay was too hectic  for me (charges and melees resolved in seconds etc.)

Using the resources already made, expanding the game's scope to a campaign engine (a simple, historically minded and realistically minded one), nothing like Total War (no building towns or micromanaging recruitment etc) but putting you in charge of say the AoNV or AotP for example and forging your own campaign within the scope of an army general, not a "national overlord who micromanages everything".

I would love to see the pike and shot era of the Thirty Years War (perhaps Battle of White Mountain or Battle of Breitenfeld) or the English Civil War represented in game.

However the armies are much smaller compared to the numbers of soldiers that took part in the fighting at Gettysburg.

• Like 1

I hope they add a  turn-based campaign map rather than just a single battle.

Can you imagine a campaign map from Empire TW or Napoleon TW but with Ultimate General Gettysburg battles ?  A game of the year that's for sure!  

• Like 3

I would like the Great Nothern War, where you can pick between two different factions, Sweden or the Grand Alliance

- Sweden

vs

- Russia

-Polish-Lithauian Commonwealth

-Denmark-Norway

-Prussia

-Hannover

Your goal would be to try inflict as much casualities upon the swedes as much you can, while Sweden proceeds its onslaught with its superior army that win over all the majors of Grand Alliance before finally, facing Russia at Poltava, with sick and frozen troops... getting defeated and routed. If you choose to play as Grand Alliance

If as Sweden, try make quick victories and actually win against all of the Grand Alliance as of in history. It will be difficult but with the soldier king and his "Caroline" line infantry that put emphasis of marching near the enemy, fire a single devastating volley and charge with steel.

Or if it is too much of a ultimate general as it spans over many countries and many battles, you could go with the campaign of Flanders, an exciting series of battles and tactics between the first coalation and the unproven and discouraged french republican army http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanders_Campaign

It all sets in a small county with multiple wins and losses on both sides, that in the end the french achieved victory despite facing alone multiple great powers.

It is interesting history as France just passed to Republican with execution of Sol Invictus Louis and new terror goverment, most of the old army was deserted in fear of being executed. So they had to put emphasis on levee-en-masse to counter the massive threat on France.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh! Yes! Spanish Succession would be very welcome: Blenheim (Blindheim), Ramillies, et cetetra. I'd be up for that. :)

One thing about WSS is that the troop types are limited, a bit like the ACW - there's really just foot, horse and guns, at least in the west. They don't even have squares yet. Plus irregular foot and horse units for volunteers, croats, hussars etc. A lot of Marlborough's victories in the low countries were very exciting, an attack following a fast concealed or overnight march over a surprising distance was his specialty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am sure it'd be rather difficult to code but I like how Gettysburg has worked out so I'd be interested in seeing a sort of campagin map for the civil war or perhaps several of the major battles and the outcomes of the previous battles can affect the objectives and reinforcments of the next perhaps? At the very least, just more civil war battles with the day by day battles

• Like 1