Game-Labs Forum

Next Ultimate General Game, What would you like to see?

michaelsmithern

Well, I've played through countless hours ( about 10 or so) of Ultimate General: Gettysburg, this is also by far my favorite battle during the civil war, considering all the things that could have happened, and this game did an awesome job of showing what would or could of happened, but now that we have beaten it, and have got all the battles for each day, and are so good we can win on the first day as both union and confederates, that has us wondering, what is the next game or battle going to be. feel free to post your opinions below and hopefully Darth will take a look at them, but that also has me wondering, what about an Ultimate General where you don't play a specific battle but you go through a campaign making decisions and the AI tries to complete a map goal, like take over Richmond, and when the two army's collide the closest battlefield, whether it being Fredericksburg, or Shiloh, Antietam, etc. you fight there, and then you'll have more maneuverability when it comes to choosing your fights, but that would also require a system of getting more troops, so then maybe you ask for some recruitment, it doesn't tell you how many men you'll get but at certain dates it will recruit certain units, like the 20th Maine, or the Irish Brigade, and so on and so forth, but honestly i would be fine with just another battlefield type game, so like it's been said Second verse as same as the First. 

• Like 3

Well, I've played through countless hours ( about 10 or so) of Ultimate General: Gettysburg, this is also by far my favorite battle during the civil war, considering all the things that could have happened, and this game did an awesome job of showing what would or could of happened, but now that we have beaten it, and have got all the battles for each day, and are so good we can win on the first day as both union and confederates, that has us wondering, what is the next game or battle going to be. feel free to post your opinions below and hopefully Darth will take a look at them, but that also has me wondering, what about an Ultimate General where you don't play a specific battle but you go through a campaign making decisions and the AI tries to complete a map goal, like take over Richmond, and when the two army's collide the closest battlefield, whether it being Fredericksburg, or Shiloh, Antietam, etc. you fight there, and then you'll have more maneuverability when it comes to choosing your fights, but that would also require a system of getting more troops, so then maybe you ask for some recruitment, it doesn't tell you how many men you'll get but at certain dates it will recruit certain units, like the 20th Maine, or the Irish Brigade, and so on and so forth, but honestly i would be fine with just another battlefield type game, so like it's been said Second verse as same as the First. 

I am pleased  with this idea; up to a point.

A ground breaking, successful game should be expanded. More campaigns; perhaps even to expand the player's scope from the tactical [4 days at Gettysburg] to the strategic [American Civil War: 1861-1865]. The strategic game could run with surprise 'pop-up' battles. [Cold Harbor or Fredericksburg]

However, David Fair has taken great pains to explain to me that the American, 19th Century systems of military recruitment/training were semi-corrupt on the State level and entirely inefficient on the Federal level.

It took over a year to train recruits up to Division competency once they were incorporated into the Federal command from State militias. From the time those boys were recruited by their Governor in their hometowns; it could be over 2 years before they joined a battle!

In this war, even a Major General over the Army of the Potomac could be relieved of his command, because he was waiting for 300,000 more troops. Finally, Major General Grant went to war with the army that he had. Waiting for another Iron Brigade from Wisconsin and Indiana was not 'practicable'.

I agree with michaelsmithern; expanded versions of this game, in any variety of incarnations, is highly anticipated. More, bigger, faster games!

• Like 1

Something in the Western Theatre. Which leads me to think of either Shiloh, Stones River or Chickamauga as those three had the best odds of victory for either side. I would most like to see a game for Stone's River, it has a similar feel to Gettysburg what with the smashing rebel success in the first part, grinding stalemate and minor rebel gains in the second and a final futile charge in the last act complete with Breckenridge bemoaning the losses his beloved Orphan Brigade suffered.

Additionally it has a lot of unexplored what ifs that can in a way break new ground because to my knowledge aside from one scenario in Civil War Generals II no game has simulated the battle.

What if McCook had stayed in line with Wharton and Cleburne instead of resting and drifting away?

What if Cheatham wasn't drunk when he formed his lines to attack?

What if Sheridan had gotten the support he needed and held out even longer?

What would happen if Polk/Bragg had shifted forces to their left instead of assaulting the Round Forest?

Possibly the biggest one, How would Bragg have fought if Rosecrans had attacked his right before McCook/Cleburne moved to assault?

• Like 1

It is time to implement a campaign mode, and wipe Total War and their shitty policies off the face of the earth.

Era wise, I would like to see Three Kingdoms China. (I apolagize if I treat this game like total war, the douchebaggery of Total War has left a hole in my gaming roster.)

• Like 2

I'd love to see another ACW battle as it would be easy enough to get out as the battle mechanics and graphics are already there.  Maybe a selection of ACW battles as DLC.
From there 100 days campaign (waterloo) would be a good choice as you have multi-day battles over a limited geographical area, with lots of room for what if's and campaign choises.

30 years war would be very interesting, or the English Civil war, but with those most of the battles were 1 day affairs so you lose the campaign feeling you get with Gettysburg and would get from Waterloo.

I would personally like to see a Napoleonic-era UG but I know that is probably a boring choice because it's close to the ACW era and is kind of overplayed because of Total War... but I like how we get to see an early combined arms concept developed into a high art. It was half modern, half archaic. Gunpowder weapons were standard, firepower was the key to victory, but cold steel could be a viable weapon under the right circumstances. I like how many analogies there are to modern warfare. Maneuver warfare with heavy and light cavalry is analogous to modern armored tactics, with IFVs and MBTs. Horse artillery was like SPGs. Dragoons (or at least the French ones) were like mechanized infantry. And who doesn't love the "hoof-thundering, sabre-rattling glory" of the cavalry charge?

• Like 2

After experiencing the Total War-series I thought I'd never again have any interest in wargames in the post-renaissance to modern eras at all, but this game has managed to catch my attention. I haven't tried it, but it looks very fluid and fun. As a non-american I have no interest in the civil war at all, though, and I assume I'd soon loose interest in a game focusing on a single battle. What I'd wish for is the liberation of the engine from it's historical bonds and an escape into all out fantasy, but I suspect the developers aren't going to give me any trolls, goblins and fireball-hurling wizards, so I'd settle for something in a more exciting era, like the Thirty Years War or something, with campaigns stretching across decades and large areas, with multiple playable factions.

• Like 1

Something in the Western Theatre. Which leads me to think of either Shiloh, Stones River or Chickamauga as those three had the best odds of victory for either side. I would most like to see a game for Stone's River, it has a similar feel to Gettysburg what with the smashing rebel success in the first part, grinding stalemate and minor rebel gains in the second and a final futile charge in the last act complete with Breckenridge bemoaning the losses his beloved Orphan Brigade suffered.

Additionally it has a lot of unexplored what ifs that can in a way break new ground because to my knowledge aside from one scenario in Civil War Generals II no game has simulated the battle.

What if McCook had stayed in line with Wharton and Cleburne instead of resting and drifting away?

What if Cheatham wasn't drunk when he formed his lines to attack?

What if Sheridan had gotten the support he needed and held out even longer?

What would happen if Polk/Bragg had shifted forces to their left instead of assaulting the Round Forest?

Possibly the biggest one, How would Bragg have fought if Rosecrans had attacked his right before McCook/Cleburne moved to assault?

I like your idea, maybe it might just be made

One of the problems with simulating battles like Antietam is that it’s hard to build in balance to what was an imbalanced scenario, made even through human error and circumstances at the time.

Any gamer who’s given control of the Union army at Antietam and is able to launch a co-ordinated attack should in most instances account for the Confederate forces on the field. The preponderance of numbers is simply too great. It’s a similar situation with Chancellorsville – any gamer who found themselves in Joe Hooker’s shoes prior to the moment he lost confidence in Joe Hooker on May 1st, isn’t going to make the same mistake. In order to simulate the 11th Corps being routed you’d have to start the battle with federal forces being fired into and already starting to rout, as otherwise you’d have every union player right facing and preparing.

You need battles where forces are relatively evenly matched, and the players are given a fair bit of tactical flexibility – battles such as First and Second Bull Run, Stones River, as someone has mentioned – Chickamauga could be an option as well. Chattanooga perhaps? Lots of little scenarios and what-ifs that could be employed (Longstreet isn’t sent to Knoxville, Lookout Mountain is reinforced, etc ).

Personally I’d love to see Shiloh.

Either way though it’s a fantastic game, and very enjoyable, and I look forward to further offerings from the team. 

• Like 1

I would like to see: The Seven Days Battles......

The Seven Days Battles were a series of six major battles over the seven days from June 25 to July 1, 1862, near Richmond, Virginia during the American Civil War. Confederate General Robert E. Lee drove the invading Union Army of the Potomac, commanded by Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan, away from Richmond and into a retreat down the Virginia Peninsula. 

The series of battles is sometimes known erroneously as the Seven Days Campaign, but it was actually the culmination of the Peninsula Campaign, not a separate campaign in its own right.
The Seven Days began on Wednesday, June 25, 1862, with a Union attack in the minor Battle of Oak Grove. McClellan quickly lost the initiative as Lee began a series of attacks at Beaver Dam Creek(Mechanicsville) on June 26, Gaines's Mill on June 27. The minor actions at Garnett's and Golding's Farm on June 27 and 28, and the attack on the Union rear guard at Savage's Station on June 29. 

McClellan's Army of the Potomac continued its retreat toward the safety of Harrison's Landing on the James River. Lee's final opportunity to intercept the Union Army was at the Battle of Glendale on June 30.........
The armies that fought in the Seven Days Battles comprised almost 200,000 men, which offered the potential for the largest battles of the war.
However, the inexperience or caution of the generals involved usually prevented the appropriate concentration of forces and mass necessary for decisive tactical victories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Days_Battles

Seven Days Union order of battle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Days_Union_order_of_battle

Seven Days Confederate order of battle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Days_Confederate_order_of_battle

• Like 1

* NOT WATERLOO *

:lol:  sorry to shout but its been done to death! 

Big battles from the 18thC Austro-Turkish wars, War of the Spanish Succession, Great Northern War, Seven Years War, Napoleonic Wars, Seven Weeks War, Franco-Prussian War, or the Boer War would all be awesome

a campaign shell would be cool too

• Like 2

Antietam. Arguably the most interesting battle of the war

Yeah, but having the certain knowledge of the significant advantage in numbers that McClellan had, that would seem to be too easy for a Union player to win, and too hard for a Confederate player to win.

It's been done to death, but it's a well known and popular battle.  One of my favorite things about Ultimate General is that it's been priced low to sell high, as opposed to most things sold by Matrix games, where they use the excuse of niche to change AAA prices, thus ensuring it will only sell with die hard wargamers.

My hope it that UG becomes as popular as Total war, which means making a game that's also going to appeal to a wider range of gamers, and that means well known battles, at least to start with.  What I would like to see is new, lesser known battles, as DLC, so you could do some ACW single day battles using the same engine and graphics as Gettysburg, just a new map and unit names.

* NOT WATERLOO *

:lol:  sorry to shout but its been done to death! 

Big battles from the 18thC Austro-Turkish wars, War of the Spanish Succession, Great Northern War, Seven Years War, Napoleonic Wars, Seven Weeks War, Franco-Prussian War, or the Boer War would all be awesome

a campaign shell would be cool too