Game-Labs Forum

Privateer function (Pirates)

This is a suggestion I've formed based on some input from some other pirates.

Perhaps it would be possible at some point to introduce a privateer function for the pirates.

The way it could work is that one nation could offer a contract to a pirate clan or just to individual pirates to assist them in battle for a reward of some description for a certain period of time. There would have to be a limit on the number of pirates they could hire, say 10-15 at a time to avoid the system being exploited. It would be good to have a function of this description as it would give the pirates some utility, rather than just have them sail around and annoy everyone, and it would allow pirates to participate in more high reward battles such as port battles and fleet actions. This system would also be useful for nations that are struggling to pull in new recruits or are being overwhelmed by well coordinated alliances, they could put out a contract and have 15 extra ships to help them.  

• Like 1

True, but with the new diplomacy setup and the state of the pirate faction, as well as the changes soon to be made, there will be no incentive to form these contracts,

I understand that mechanics without the need of "human socialization" could help a lot.

Incentives there's aplenty and not limited to sailing alongside corsairs from nations.

- nation players can pay in coin or in resources and the pirate sails with them, close-by and support each other.

The only limitation there is: nationals can only join Pirates side in a battle IF their nation is at WAR status ( not enemy status ) with the nation fighting the pirates.

Regarding PBs... complex mechanics for slot assignment / port attack assignment give that Pirates are always Enemy/at War with all nations, as it should be.

What is the drawback that balances it out?

If a pirate player can essentially play Brit, France, Spain etc.... When he/she wants too then why would anyone play any other nation? Has to be a penalty of some kind that balances the benefit.

• Like 1

If a pirate player can essentially play Brit, France, Spain etc.... When he/she wants too then why would anyone play any other nation? Has to be a penalty of some kind that balances the benefit.

The benefit of having alliances between any National at any time was taken away. :)

All Factions should be equally capable of defining their own Friends and Enemies, be it Pirate Clans or Nations.

The benefit of having alliances between any National at any time was taken away. :)All Factions should be equally capable of defining their own Friends and Enemies, be it Pirate Clans or Nations.

Pirates don't have the ability to declare alliances. This stops us from grouping, PB and sailing warships into allied ports.

The proposal above not only replaces this ability but allows individual pirates or claim to change alliances at will. This is something even the Nationals can not do. I'm still only seeing advantage here for people to play pirates and cross team or hop teams freely at their whim. Now if pirates were a small nation this wouldn't be a big deal. But they tend to be a large nation and under this rule set I think they would become even larger as available PvP would be higher for pirate players than national players.

iam a pyrate, and just got paid for 500k gold to anoy jamaika for the next 5 days

This is a suggestion I've formed based on some input from some other pirates.

Perhaps it would be possible at some point to introduce a privateer function for the pirates.

The way it could work is that one nation could offer a contract to a pirate clan or just to individual pirates to assist them in battle for a reward of some description for a certain period of time. There would have to be a limit on the number of pirates they could hire, say 10-15 at a time to avoid the system being exploited. It would be good to have a function of this description as it would give the pirates some utility, rather than just have them sail around and annoy everyone, and it would allow pirates to participate in more high reward battles such as port battles and fleet actions. This system would also be useful for nations that are struggling to pull in new recruits or are being overwhelmed by well coordinated alliances, they could put out a contract and have 15 extra ships to help them.  

i dont see any way to be exploited, if oyu have the money you should be able to buy asmany pyrate as you want, also want pyrate should see who he is fighting for, and who is his  enemy if he takes that contract, well everyone is an enemy for a pyrate.

I'm pretty sure there's a rather long list of penalties most people would like to apply to pirates. Thinking up benefits is the real challenge.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure there's a rather long list of penalties most people would like to apply to pirates. Thinking up benefits is the real challenge.

modified ship loads?, bigger guns, or internal boarding modifier, higher crew capacity. wasnt to hard for me, i would trade the ability of building SOLs for a modified 5thrate at anytime

Not sure why pirates would get to use special laws of physics for bigger guns, or why hedonistic marauders with proportional shares would want to make ships even more cramped than they were in the navy, thereby reducing their own profits. Or even why pirates would be good at boarding, since their motivation was to win without a fight. If anything, it was the naval officers who stood to gain the most from bloody combat as opposed to easy victory, since their bravery would see them promoted. Pirate crews had to bribe the first man over the side of a merchantmen with a special share.

Not sure why pirates would get to use special laws of physics for bigger guns, or why hedonistic marauders with proportional shares would want to make ships even more cramped than they were in the navy, thereby reducing their own profits. Or even why pirates would be good at boarding, since their motivation was to win without a fight. If anything, it was the naval officers who stood to gain the most from bloody combat as opposed to easy victory, since their bravery would see them promoted. Pirate crews had to bribe the first man over the side of a merchantmen with a special share.

modified Ships should have drawbacks to, like upgun oyur gundeck, but disarm your weatherdeck, or upgun your weatherdeck and your roll will incrase alot. If the upgunned ship is heavier then your draft is bigger so oyu get slowed down, and your turningrate would slow down. Also there were severel tactic in the piracy time

Firing a ship into submission and hterefor make it surrender without Boarding. This is my most used tactic, and it works pretty well since we have officers that can die i shot a Bucentaure into submission, and she or he surrenderd.

Slowing the ship down to board, i dont like boarding the current systeme is boring, but with the new systeme comming i wonder how nice it will be.

I can think of one very important one.

- Ability for common loot screen, so the prize can be shared if two or more are present.

And another.

- Added option to return ship to owner on the right click menu.

• Like 1