Game-Labs Forum

Paint schemes requests

admin

1280px-Thomas_Birch_-_Engagement_between

HMS Macedonian (left) vs. USS United States (right), contemporary painting by Thomas Birch. Note: United States appears to be black with thin red stripes above and below gunports.

garnett-launch-constitution.jpg

USS Constitution as launched in 1797 from Hart's Yard, Boston. Recent painting by Paul Garnett.

Constitution1803.jpg

USS Constitution, 1803 painting by Michel Corne.

KN-2781.jpg

USS Constitution vs. HMS Guerriere, also by Michel Corne.

Corne produced two sets of paintings depicting this battle. Here are some detail views from the other set:

L1080745.JPG

L1080750.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot serve you with any historical paint shemes, but I "designed" some which might be "believeable" for the time.

Perhaps you like them.

The two RATTLES are meant to be especially PIRATE RATTLESNAKE - maybe they could be designed with

different cannons, or maybe they have a boarding or pulling bonus, especially for PIRATES?

post-23287-0-98932200-1473937721_thumb.jpg

post-23287-0-09188600-1473937727_thumb.jpg

post-23287-0-09335800-1473937770_thumb.jpg

post-23287-0-96772100-1473937774_thumb.jpg

post-23287-0-21208500-1473937779_thumb.jpg

post-23287-0-28432800-1473937783_thumb.jpg

post-23287-0-35108400-1473937787_thumb.jpg

post-23287-0-91911100-1473937798_thumb.jpg

post-23287-0-87781100-1473937801_thumb.jpg

post-23287-0-60518100-1473937806_thumb.jpg

post-23287-0-46973400-1473937810_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

this thread is about paint schemes.

Admin gave a clear advise on how to present your ideas.

This is not a discussion thread.

If you dont have anything to contribute to the thread - leafe it out of here!

as a reminder:

Format

1. Clear and good resolution painting or drawing or part of a drawing (showing the ship itself). 
  2. Proposed ships that it can fit on.

Flood and off topic will be removed

Rote Segel gab es

Obwohl kein Bildbeitrag, ist dies doch ein Beitrag zu historischen Farben an diesen Schiffen.

Ich habe den Grund gefunden, warum Segel braun oder tiefrot gefärbt wurden.

Es hatte den ganz praktischen Grund, das Segeltuch, welches häufig feucht aufgerollt werden mußte,

gegen Fäulnis zu schützen. Die Methode nannte sich "Lohen" und wurde schon im 16. Jahrhundert

angewandt.

In meiner Quelle geht es zwar um Fischerboote - die Methode dürfte aber allen Schiffbauern oder

Segelmachern bekannt gewesen sein.

Hier ist der Link zu meinem Thread:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15928-was-ich-gern-in-naval-action-sehen-w%C3%BCrde/page-5#entry313819

translation by Bungee:

Red sails are historical:

Altho not a suggestion to this thread this is indeed a interesting thing to notice.

I found the reason to why sails were painted brown or red.

Its quite practical: To prevent the sails to rot away. The method was called "Lohen" and was used in the 16th century already.

My source talks about fishing smacks - however that method should be known by everybody.

Edited by BungeeLemming

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/16511-colored-sails/

Thread about Colored sails, and if they were possible and how common they are, in short:

Red to Yellow were common to smaller vessels, but the Yellow was also common on bigger squarerigged ships. Tanned sails were use to protect the sails from the rain and seawater and makes them sturdier. Military UK tested tanned sails, but didnt liked the process, so it ended up in a handful of tanned ships with Yellow sails. Spain, and France tanned the sails on their smaller military vessels, but frigates anmd higher werent tanned.

However most Private shipowners were tanning hteir sails, since its a investment and alows the sails to last longer. Its hard to find historicdrawn paintings, since artist of that timeperiod only drawn the fights of the ships.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a thought. Why not allow players to customize colors of their ships? It's just a diffuse map change, you leave out the normals and roughness etcetera. Divide the ship into hull and rigging, hull divided further to, let's say, 3 to 5 color sections (one could be decorative details which require a bit more tampering with the material but is doable nonetheless). The amount of color sections would vary depending on the size of the ship (give santy 6th section or something). Section 1 would be below the waterline, section 2 would be first line of stripes etcetera. If you limit the palette to the historical colors, it will limit the players but allow them to customize their vessel. So there won't be bright pink Victiories. It will help with the diversity out there.

Rigging painting could be 2 - 3 sections. Sails, Masts, Ropes. Same principle as with the hull. You could further limit color pallete to 4-5 colors, for example black, dark wood, bright wood, another bright wood, white?

An idea for the realism - limiting the palette to the nation, with most colors as a pirate/neutral? Just a quick idea. So you can have your own, personal color scheme, but with some degree of historical accuracy.

It would be cool to add weathering to the ships, especially in the waterline, if a ship lasts long enough out there. [Or maybe even permanent battle damage, if amount of battles is considerably high? I mean, fresh wood colored planks on the hull, patched sails etcetera. Seeing a ship that has considerable amount of those would say something about it's owner, project his skill and therefore affect morale of the opponent.]  It could as well affect top speed, if you have too much shellfish down below. It would be a cool mechanic, but it's optional. I like to tamper with the look of my stuff, just that. Make it personalized, custom fitted to my wiliing.

Maybe some special colors for them bloody pyrates? I love pyrates. Pyrates are fun!

Edited by Moriss_BoB
  • Like 1

I like the idea of full colour customization! Except for the rigging, which was pretty standardized as tarred/not tarred to discern between standing & running rigging. I doubt ppl would like being limited by nationality, but having several preset historical schemes for each nation available to the player and used by AI would be a good compromise I think.