Game-Labs Forum

Stuck in Irons? Don't worry!

Did you ever get stuck in Irons and couldn't get anywhere? 

If so this is the perfect video for you. A simple "Tutorial" showing how to get out of irons in 3 different ships. 
Santissima, Trincomalee and Basic Cutter.

I chose Santissima because it is just about the hardest to do so in.
And Trincomalee because it's quite "standard" frigate type ship.
Basic Cutter was chosen so that people sailing the "fore and aft" vessels can use this tutorial as well!

I hope you like it. If there is something you think i could improve for the next time i make a video please let me know! 

This is the first tutorial type video and my goal was to make it simple, yet "powerful" if you can call it that.

I hope it works!

https://youtu.be/xCJOhiv4C3Q

• Like 19

usualy how i get out of the irons if i cant go anywhere i generaly angle my sails to where the wind is behind me and as i say "activate ship reverse" and turn the rudder the other way of the way that i want to go like say i want to go right ill turn the rudder left as im going backwards

• Like 2

all good the ship reverse idea as i call it works for most square riggers still havent figured out that in for nd aft riggers usualy flip though the wind to fast with them

If you go to the end of the video (5:10 minutes) i show how to do it in Basic Cutter as well (Fore and Aft) :) 

• Like 1

thx for the video and your work - and for my experience it is not working for exampe with the frigate - the funny thing is that when I stuck I can do nothing - game over.

And I never had such problems before - it is since the last patch 9.93 and realy worse sind 9.94. thus I use the frigate not so much since then.

with the trinco it is totaly RNG if it stuck or not - sometimes I go trough the wind without any problems even on low speed and sometimes i stuck like on a shallow.

thx for the video and your work - and for my experience it is not working for exampe with the frigate - the funny thing is that when I stuck I can do nothing - game over.

And I never had such problems before - it is since the last patch 9.93 and realy worse sind 9.94. thus I use the frigate not so much since then.

with the trinco it is totaly RNG if it stuck or not - sometimes I go trough the wind without any problems even on low speed and sometimes i stuck like on a shallow.

Do you use Manual Sails when tacking? 

If you do, and do it properly, then you should never get stuck in irons in any ship (Maybe in Santissima but other than that)! For OW PvP i never sail anything but the Trincomalee and i never got stuck in irons :)

But yes, since the acceleration/deceleration changes it has become harder to tack and get "Unstuck" when in irons. If you follow the instruction in the video (Remember to look in the bottom left corner to see exactly what i'm doing!) you can get out of irons in any ship - The Santissima is arguably the hardest ship to do it in and it takes the longest time out of all ships - BUT, it works! 

Essentially, you should never get stuck in irons if you use manual skipper to tack! 

If you are unsure how to tack properly then i'll link some videos of Jodgi doing 360 in several ships: (All credit goes to Jodgi!) 

- Frigate

- Constitution

- Indiaman

• Like 2

Nice!

I would have to get on tonight and double check because it's become instinctive, but I think a better way for the fore-and-aft is backwards from what you have it.  You want the yards to still be working against the wind as you turn out of it so that your backwards momentum is greater, which allows you to turn quicker.  Then once you are at a point you want to start going forwards instead of backwards, you hit f and t and turn your rudder the way you want to go.  Your way works, but I think this will be faster.

Kind of what I do here in the old sailing model, although I wasn't stuck in the wind, but I used the same principles to avoid the cerb's broadside:  https://youtu.be/Eh30BOZJx_c?t=4m32s

• Like 2

Nice!

I would have to get on tonight and double check because it's become instinctive, but I think a better way for the fore-and-aft is backwards from what you have it.  You want the yards to still be working against the wind as you turn out of it so that your backwards momentum is greater, which allows you to turn quicker.  Then once you are at a point you want to start going forwards instead of backwards, you hit f and t and turn your rudder the way you want to go.  Your way works, but I think this will be faster.

Kind of what I do here in the old sailing model, although I wasn't stuck in the wind, but I used the same principles to avoid the cerb's broadside:  https://youtu.be/Eh30BOZJx_c?t=4m32s

I tried that and the back end of the boat would be pushed the wrong way, making it take longer to get out of irons :/

But then again, i don't use fore-and-vessels much so maybe i just didn't do it properly! 

Hmm, maybe it has changed with the new sailing model.

Edit:  Testing on a Lynx, I think it is slightly faster to put the yards against the wind like I suggested above, but it doesn't really matter.  5 seconds faster, maybe a little more.  It mostly depends on at what angle you hit t and stop the reverse rudder and switch the yards over.  Cutter might be completely different.  I noticed if you try to get a better angle before you stop reverse rudder and undo t, it takes you a lot longer to get out of the wind.  Being off the wind a tiny bit is all you really need.  The bonus about your way is simplicity.  In my way there is more to remember and more to mess up, which could cost you in time.  Is that worth possibly gaining a few more seconds?  Probably not.

• Like 1

Do you use Manual Sails when tacking? 

If you do, and do it properly, then you should never get stuck in irons in any ship (Maybe in Santissima but other than that)! For OW PvP i never sail anything but the Trincomalee and i never got stuck in irons :)

But yes, since the acceleration/deceleration changes it has become harder to tack and get "Unstuck" when in irons. If you follow the instruction in the video (Remember to look in the bottom left corner to see exactly what i'm doing!) you can get out of irons in any ship - The Santissima is arguably the hardest ship to do it in and it takes the longest time out of all ships - BUT, it works! 

Essentially, you should never get stuck in irons if you use manual skipper to tack! 

If you are unsure how to tack properly then i'll link some videos of Jodgi doing 360 in several ships: (All credit goes to Jodgi!) 

- Frigate

- Constitution

- Indiaman

Sure I have used manual sail a lot - I mean I have over 800 hours of gameplay in NA - but since the last patches I have those problems  - but i dont care anymore - when it happens I surrender and all is good - I have not the time to deal with all that miracles after every patch and how to deal with it.

Sure I have used manual sail a lot - I mean I have over 800 hours of gameplay in NA - but since the last patches I have those problems  - but i dont care anymore - when it happens I surrender and all is good - I have not the time to deal with all that miracles after every patch and how to deal with it.

No miracles involved :) 

You must be doing something wrong when tacking if you really get stuck in irons with frigates. Not trying to offend you but i don't have any problems. Not even in my Ships of the Line. 

renomee - pelle boule - indiaman - rattle - consti - bellona - victory - bucentaure - even the santi  - they are all ok and no problem with turn when i stuck

trinco and frigate are hell - and sometimes i got no response from the keyboard/ship - means nothing happens - the ship stand still - no rudder - no sail movement - a sitting duck.

i have that problem only with this two ships, doesnt matter what kind of upgrades i have on it.

In Trincomalee i'm not having any issues. (It's pretty much the only ship i use in OW PvP). 

Frigate i haven't tried but i can't imagine it would be a problem to tack in it. 

The no response from keyboard/ship sounds like some weird ass latency and not an actual problem with the ships :) 

If you'd like i'll be happy to make a tacking video (I know there is quite a few on youtube already) showing it in both ships.