Game-Labs Forum

Context: Privateers were historically contracted (carrying a Letter of Marque) by a Nation to pursue and capture/destroy the ships of hostile nations. They were in a sense mercenaries of the seas, however they were still employed and thus required to fly the flag of a Nation (lest they be deemed Pirates).  

Idea: As part of the Orders section, the option for "Obtain Letter of Marque" is available from the Admiralty. This can only be purchased for a tidy sum at the Capital Port (perhaps at a price that is 50% of ship value). It can only be applied to ships up to Fifth Rate (even then perhaps only up to Frigate). The result of application of a Letter of Marque is threefold:

1. The owner of a Letter of Marque receives slightly less financial reward on capture of enemy ships (reflecting the Nation's cut of the return) but secures all cargoes for themselves. Sinkings generate even less financial reward.  

2. The owner of a Letter of Marque boosts "hostility" scores by X% at nearby Enemy ports when operating.

3. A modest XP boost to OW battles. 

To switch to a ship other than the one carrying the Letter of Marque results in a expiration of the Letter of Marque and a new one will be need to be purchased. (a warning notification would be needed to prevent accidental switching)

Purpose: Letters of Marque are a financial commitment by the Privateer. The price is not small and so the commitment must be there to pursue that path of a Privateer. By restricting the use of ship type while a Letter of Marque is active it should hopefully discourage spamming of "LoM" as a step before a port battle as it would be a financially impractical and the restriction to up to Fifth Rates would enable a group of dedicated Defenders to rally a fleet to engage Privateers. 

The modest XP boost would encourage lower level players to range out on the OW stage to rank up faster, while the hostility boost encourages National returns on the Diplomatic front. 

Doubtless there are some nuances I am missing or considerations but this is what I've got so far. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Current implemented Economy makes all captains more or less privateers in fact.

We earn money when we sink an enemy of our nation, we buy and repair our ships...

What might be needed is a naval officer career such as :

Captains.. 

There were several proposals on the Navy officer role and we would like to discuss it in depth here.  Just to keep expectations clear.  We are of course not saying or promising this will be done. It is just a discussion.

Proposed Navy roles

Naval officer

• Works for the Admiralty of their respective country.
  • Receives salary - does not make money by selling ships. 
  • Does not pick ships - ships are assigned by the Admiralty randomly according to rank and achievements. 
  • Cannot capture ships - ships are sent to Admiralty for admiralty points.
  • Does not hire crew - crews are supplied by the Admiralty with ships
  • Repairs are provided by Admiralty
  • Has to fulfill duties  - must fight, must accept battles
  • Top rated ships are assigned based on leaderboards
  • Upgrades/officers and unique content can be bought from the Admiralty store for points. Ships for the admiralty stores are supplied by crafters.
  • Can buy ships for himself if he has money (but those will be limited due to low salaries)
Basically a combat class that does not think about the cash and is always supplied for combat. Ideal for the player who is not interested

Privateer/Pirate
  • Works for himself buying a patent.
  • Patent costs money per month
  • Can capture ships for himself
  • Have to hire crew and pay salaries for the crew and officers
  • Have to repair ships
  • Can sail any ship if he can hire and support the crew
Crafter (support role but both officers and privateers can be crafters too)
  • Makes ships for the admiralty and privateers
  • The guy with money
Admiralty
  • Buys ships and upgrades from crafters
  • Supplies ships and upgrades to naval officers according to fame ratings
The drawback of this system is the lack of freedom.
Right now you can sail any ship you want and see and can buy or capture. In the defined roles scenarios most players won't be able

• Like 5

Current implemented Economy makes all captains more or less privateers in fact.

We earn money when we sink an enemy of our nation, we buy and repair our ships...

What might be needed is a naval officer career such as :

I'd like to be given a choice of ships but the maximum is governed by the "admirality"

For example: The admiralty offers me a 3rd rate but I prefer a Constitution

Wouldn't the nation take the largest cut against prizes if the captors were from a naval vessel, and being a privateer means that the nation does not get a cut, and that is partly why you have to buy an expensive letter of mark?  I don't know how much other nations paid, but during the American Revolutionary War, I've seen schooners and brigs go for as much as $20,000 bond in colonial currency.  50% price of ship probably isn't enough.  100% might be more like it.

I agree LeBoiteaux, giving the player a path selection (Naval Officer vs. Privateer) does seem a like a necessary step in differentiating the two. I feel like economic tinkering will be going on with every patch so we may see some shifts in economy that opens up options to come. 

You're quite right Prater, perhaps a gold boost instead of XP boost is best. There definitely needs to be a bit of balance (gold vs. XP) so that the Privateer path isn't saturated and overused. I was thinking of XP as a means of encouraging it as a path to new players however maybe (with the addition of a Naval Officer path) it can be a XP for Naval Officer and Gold for Privateer? 

Interesting food for thought. Thank you for the comments! 

• Like 1