Game-Labs Forum

Italian/Austro-Hungarian Frigate 'Carolina' 1808

Sella

Yikes, apparently they never got the memo that carronade ports don't need to be eight miles wide.

Yeah, you only need 5 1/2 miles of width for carronades. Silly Austrians trying to do shipbuilding.

Is it me, or is this a really shallow draft frigate? the waterline looks like it's actually below the halfline mark on the design; you would think it would be deeper in the water to improve storage space, stability, etc. Austrian waters (in which there are little anyhow) aren't exactly shallow, are they?

Is it me, or is this a really shallow draft frigate? the waterline looks like it's actually below the halfline mark on the design; you would think it would be deeper in the water to improve storage space, stability, etc. Austrian waters (in which there are little anyhow) aren't exactly shallow, are they?

It could be, maybe because of her Venetian past. Venetians tended to built ships with relatively shallow draft which were very suitable for the Mediterrenean.

That could be her but not sure:

fa6e54dcb3e2df979382efb15de3883a.png

Maybe the date mentioned in the plans(1808) was the date of her launching and not the date acquired by the Austro-Hungarians. Hence the uncertainty. But still not 100% convinced.

Yeah, you only need 5 1/2 miles of width for carronades. Silly Austrians trying to do shipbuilding.

She's very sharp, but I don't trust my eye enough to call her shallow. Having deadrise like that makes the keel pretty deep, and we can't see where the hull ends on the body plan.

It's usually possible to achieve sufficient stability with a shallow draft design, and Austria would have no need of storage capacity for coastal defense in the Mediterranean. Unless you put a premium on weatherliness, shallow draft is a big plus, as it reduces wetted area and thus water resistance. That helps a lot with fair weather downwind performance.

She's very sharp, but I don't trust my eye enough to call her shallow. Having deadrise like that makes the keel pretty deep, and we can't see where the hull ends on the body plan.

It's usually possible to achieve sufficient stability with a shallow draft design, and Austria would have no need of storage capacity for coastal defense in the Mediterranean. Unless you put a premium on weatherliness, shallow draft is a big plus, as it reduces wetted area and thus water resistance. That helps a lot with fair weather downwind performance.

Updated the plans if you want to take another look :)

Carolina is a 34 gun, rated Corvetta Fregata, as far as I recall she is also the largest of that rating.

Her draft is shallowed to deal with the fact she was designed in Venice and built in the Venetian Arsenal during the Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy period, meant to operate in the shallow waters of the Adriatic and Agean seas. The design was by Andrea Salvini, there was also a ship called Bellona that was made to the same plans. The Large Corvette classes were used by Venice to respond to threats and discourage pirates from raiding trade and supply lanes, especially the Barbary states. She was armed with 22 x 12lb and 12x 24lb carronades (french weight)

She was designed and her keel was laid in 1807, completed in 1808 at the request of the Kingdom of italy. she saw service in corfu during the spring of 1808 and then in ancona from 1809, she battled an English sloop of war in 1810 and was taken out of service in 1811. She was later taken by Austria and became a part of the Austrian navy under the name Adria, had to be repaired in 1818 jury rigged with materials coming from the Frigate Corona. she was later demolished in 1832.

Hope this helps and answers a few questions :)

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 1

When it comes to Bellona, there isnt a huge resource of information out there but then again there isn't much about Carolina either. there is a page on threedecks, a painting in the Greenwich maritime museum and a sentence devoted to her in the HMS dover page on wikipedia.

Here are the resources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dover(38 gun troopship)

http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=3965

Title: Defeat of the French and Italian squadron, 13 March 1811 Artist: J.L. Few
Read more at http://prints.rmg.co.uk/art/504011/defeat-of-the-french-and-italian-squadron-13-march-1811#uLFz5mUBIHc80fyM.99

pz5772.jpg

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...