Game-Labs Forum

Battle Timer / Entering exiting battle / PVP OW

Hello everyone, 

Small introduction for the many of you who do not know me. I have been around monitoring the forums and playing since sea trials (not playing much at the begining). I am back after a long year of break from the game, with regrets but I am happy to be back and to see the marevlous changes and evolution around the caribean area ! 

I still have some issues with the game, the more I go towards being a PVP exclusive player

Presenting here a long suggestion , and explaing why, about PVP in OW, to try an option to fix the lack of fair fight, lack of fight, and the long waiting time outside instance. 

First of all, I beg the dev to not take this suggestion as a personal attack on their hard and fabulous work, I am in love with the game, and thankful it exists, but I really fear some problems related to PVP will kill it, for me included. 

Please keep being constructive in coments, if this system seem good or bad, I feel the issue I will present are VERY important for the sake of the game, and these issues need solving , the sooner , the better

1. What Problem Do I see in actual battle instance entering and exiting ? 

• A. Entry timer of 2 minutes limits the amount of good fight we can have, reinforcement of an inferior fleet cannot often enter the battle, and wait outside as a revenge fleet
  • B. Sometime player trapped outside an instance, are ganked by the enemy reinforcement. 
  • C This lead to the strange situation where in the OW several fleet sometime equals , fight in different instances, AT the EXACT SAME OW SPOT, very often all battle turning into small ganks, rather than true confrontation. 
  • D. So instead of one huge and fun fight, we have at the exact same place 3 or 4 uninteresting fight, with the victorious side camping in battle screen, revenge fleet waiting outside doing nothing 
  • E. Most of this issue are linked to the time compression, and disconnection between OW and battle instance 

Conclusion : the actual system lead to several players, on a PVP server, wanting to do PVP, but just waiting for hours , this is turning the game into Naval Inaction sadly

2. Critical issues and necessary limitation : 

• A. Always leave the option to a player exiting a battle to safely disconnect, Not realistic, but turning the game into a time sink will make some people flee. Realisticaly, player inside a battle should see hours ago the revenge fleet coming, sadly the instance system prevent it. 
  • B. Always inform people outside the battle if people inside have disconnected.
  • C. Do not allow a player joining a fight to be tagged outside, close, when he is joining, this is just dividing fights in small uninteresting gank. 
  • D. Force player to enter the fight if they are close enough to the battle, you want to fight, join the fight. 
  • E.  Create a slow zone in OW next to battles, so players inside the instance do not have the feeling of reinforcement teleporting into the middle of the battle. 

3. My proposition : 

• A. Make battle circle in OW 3 or 4 time larger than they are now. Inside the circle, no tagging, no attacking, teleporting is allowed. Circle is a safe zone
  • B. Player leaving a fight spawn in the circle, allowing them to teleport to capital if they have a teleport ready, ... if not, they should have been more cautious :). Palyer escaping a battle cannot enter it anymore after. 
  • C. Any player entering the battle circle will be draged into instance, with a timer. If he exit the circle before timer end, he will not join. Make a warning message BEFORE a player enter the circle, so he is warned he will be draged.  Before draging start, a small timer is set (30 seconds) , This timer do not reset !!!! (important) so a player sailing at the verge of the circle to troll , will be draged anyway after 30 seconds in the circle, continuous or NOT! 
  • D. The entry time (matchmaker ? ) will be modified by the Battle rating ratio inside. The stronger is your side, the longer you will wait, the weaker is your side, the quicker you will be in. Time must stay "balanced" max timer being 5 minutes for example, quickest 1 minute. The later you come, the farest from battle you will spawn, within the limits of the OW circle
  • E. Inside the circle players are FORCED INTO BATTLE SAILS, This is to scale down their speed to battle speed, so they cannot spawn (I call it Warping) close from the battle center. IF technically possible (up to the dev) , inside the battle, mark the spot with a fake sails (red or white depending if friend or foe) on the horizon, marking the spot where the joining player will spawn
  • F. Make the spot of a PVP battle better indicated, with huge smoke below the crossed sword, and muzzle flash into itG. Battle stays open forever, until the last 15 minutes.  
  • H. Battle marker stay for 3 minutes after everyone escaped, brefore disappearing, allowing escaped player to spawn in OW, in their safe zone battle circle, see what is outside, BE SEEN by player waiting in front, and teleport safely if they want to ... or not ;)

Of course, player are forced to exit battle screen after 5 minutes, dragged into OW after, even if they disconnected

EDIT : A good option, again if doable techically would be to move the battle circle in OW, following loosly the "hot spot" of the fight inside the instance

4. What this Proposal might be solving , if doable technically : 

• A. Creating Huge Battle hot spot, with actual PVP rather than the actual boring hide and run, where speed is more critical than anything else
  • B. Blockades : Battle in front of a port, will force player inside the battle when they undock (they can still re enter dock when they see this, and so not draged into battle instance). 
  • C.  Solve the long waiting time outside a battle, or in battle screen. 
  • D. A ganked player can actually hope for reinforcement, and so will be probably more combative to slow down opponents. 
  • E. Partially solve the "spying issue" some nations have .... because right now knowing what is waiting outside an instance is SO CRITICAL that some players feel forced into unfair spying technics (with players switching nations to spy the other one) , to scout their way before leaving a battle. 
  • F. Solve the "hidden fleet" , waiting in battle screen to spawn several hours after near an enemy port or capital, very annoying and urealistic feature

Conclusion : 

What do you think, players and Devs about it, I would like to have some feedback from devs if they want to or think the idea is interesting (it took me long time of discussing with friends, gamers from the game and some from other games to come up with this proposal)

Thank you for your attention , See you all soon on the seas, and hopefully not below :)

Edited by Sire Trinkof
  • Like 1

I'm globally very intersted in those suggestions, but what about positionning from OW in your system ? Would it be even possible ?

I'm also very enthusiast about blockades, It should be a bit annoying and would encourage players to participate to the battle instead of just wandering or fleeing.

So far the Yeah's have it on http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14789-faul-battle-entry-timer-be-gone-with-thou/

But that one might be too complex, and complex means hard to implement and a short road to support.

Whose proposal is also on the Yeahs?

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15662-battle-screen-markers-timeouts-patch-proposal/

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14768-port-battle-blockade/

Entry timer based on BR rating difference is somewhere as well.

I think slowing OW hasn't been discussed before, but I could be wrong. But once an area gets populated it might stagnate OW completely.

A battle might stretch very far. We once had a battle at Bonacca stretching all the way down to Black River (different squads duking it off).

So keeping it in sync with Open World looks like a bugger to me.

Dont we then have the problem we had before you get massive gank fleets sailing around, its still a gank just a bigger gank, its very tricky and I like a lot of these suggestions but I have one simple proposal, if one side outnumbers another then the battle is open to reinforcements until the BR is balanced or close to being balanced then it closes, 2 min is too short a time and just promotes a small fast gank squad mentality, if the gank squad jump a single player and for arguments said BR was 600 vs 200 in a 3 vs 1 scenario, the battle stays open only to the outnumbered side until the BR is 600 vs 600 or near enough then its closed.

• Like 1

Dont we then have the problem we had before you get massive gank fleets sailing around, its still a gank just a bigger gank, its very tricky and I like a lot of these suggestions but I have one simple proposal, if one side outnumbers another then the battle is open to reinforcements until the BR is balanced or close to being balanced then it closes, 2 min is too short a time and just promotes a small fast gank squad mentality, if the gank squad jump a single player and for arguments said BR was 600 vs 200 in a 3 vs 1 scenario, the battle stays open only to the outnumbered side until the BR is 600 vs 600 or near enough then its closed.

We still have gank, nothing solved this .... actual system is just preventing good fight to happen :(

I think slowing OW hasn't been discussed before, but I could be wrong. But once an area gets populated it might stagnate OW completely.

No OW speed slowing, just when your are about to enter the battle, to prevent you to spawn directly in front of the enemy, in canon range. This is to make sure joining people will be far away .... as reinforcement, not : " I get out of my Faster than light speed in front of you!"

EDIT : and as for spawning far away if the battle moved a lot, like I proposed : 

1. move the battle location slowly following the fight

OR , make player spawn, depending on the time, at a set distance to an ally ship (far but still) 

Edited by Sire Trinkof

Hello everyone, 

Small introduction for the many of you who do not know me. I have been around monitoring the forums and playing since sea trials (not playing much at the begining). I am back after a long year of break from the game, with regrets but I am happy to be back and to see the marevlous changes and evolution around the caribean area ! 

I still have some issues with the game, the more I go towards being a PVP exclusive player

Presenting here a long suggestion , and explaing why, about PVP in OW, to try an option to fix the lack of fair fight, lack of fight, and the long waiting time outside instance. 

First of all, I beg the dev to not take this suggestion as a personal attack on their hard and fabulous work, I am in love with the game, and thankful it exists, but I really fear some problems related to PVP will kill it, for me included. 

Please keep being constructive in coments, if this system seem good or bad, I feel the issue I will present are VERY important for the sake of the game, and these issues need solving , the sooner , the better

1. What Problem Do I see in actual battle instance entering and exiting ? 

• A. Entry timer of 2 minutes limits the amount of good fight we can have, reinforcement of an inferior fleet cannot often enter the battle, and wait outside as a revenge fleet
  • B. Sometime player trapped outside an instance, are ganked by the enemy reinforcement. 
  • C This lead to the strange situation where in the OW several fleet sometime equals , fight in different instances, AT the EXACT SAME OW SPOT, very often all battle turning into small ganks, rather than true confrontation. 
  • D. So instead of one huge and fun fight, we have at the exact same place 3 or 4 uninteresting fight, with the victorious side camping in battle screen, revenge fleet waiting outside doing nothing 
  • E. Most of this issue are linked to the time compression, and disconnection between OW and battle instance 

Conclusion : the actual system lead to several players, on a PVP server, wanting to do PVP, but just waiting for hours , this is turning the game into Naval Inaction sadly

2. Critical issues and necessary limitation : 

• A. Always leave the option to a player exiting a battle to safely disconnect, Not realistic, but turning the game into a time sink will make some people flee. Realisticaly, player inside a battle should see hours ago the revenge fleet coming, sadly the instance system prevent it. 
  • B. Always inform people outside the battle if people inside have disconnected.
  • C. Do not allow a player joining a fight to be tagged outside, close, when he is joining, this is just dividing fights in small uninteresting gank. 
  • D. Force player to enter the fight if they are close enough to the battle, you want to fight, join the fight. 
  • E.  Create a slow zone in OW next to battles, so players inside the instance do not have the feeling of reinforcement teleporting into the middle of the battle. 

3. My proposition : 

• A. Make battle circle in OW 3 or 4 time larger than they are now. Inside the circle, no tagging, no attacking, teleporting is allowed. Circle is a safe zone
  • B. Player leaving a fight spawn in the circle, allowing them to teleport to capital if they have a teleport ready, ... if not, they should have been more cautious :). Palyer escaping a battle cannot enter it anymore after. 
  • C. Any player entering the battle circle will be draged into instance, with a timer. If he exit the circle before timer end, he will not join. Make a warning message BEFORE a player enter the circle, so he is warned he will be draged.  Before draging start, a small timer is set (30 seconds) , This timer do not reset !!!! (important) so a player sailing at the verge of the circle to troll , will be draged anyway after 30 seconds in the circle, continuous or NOT! 
  • D. The entry time (matchmaker ? ) will be modified by the Battle rating ratio inside. The stronger is your side, the longer you will wait, the weaker is your side, the quicker you will be in. Time must stay "balanced" max timer being 5 minutes for example, quickest 1 minute. The later you come, the farest from battle you will spawn, within the limits of the OW circle
  • E. Inside the circle players are FORCED INTO BATTLE SAILS, This is to scale down their speed to battle speed, so they cannot spawn (I call it Warping) close from the battle center. IF technically possible (up to the dev) , inside the battle, mark the spot with a fake sails (red or white depending if friend or foe) on the horizon, marking the spot where the joining player will spawn
  • F. Make the spot of a PVP battle better indicated, with huge smoke below the crossed sword, and muzzle flash into itG. Battle stays open forever, until the last 15 minutes.  
  • H. Battle marker stay for 3 minutes after everyone escaped, brefore disappearing, allowing escaped player to spawn in OW, in their safe zone battle circle, see what is outside, BE SEEN by player waiting in front, and teleport safely if they want to ... or not ;)

Of course, player are forced to exit battle screen after 5 minutes, dragged into OW after, even if they disconnected

EDIT : A good option, again if doable techically would be to move the battle circle in OW, following loosly the "hot spot" of the fight inside the instance

4. What this Proposal might be solving , if doable technically : 

• A. Creating Huge Battle hot spot, with actual PVP rather than the actual boring hide and run, where speed is more critical than anything else
  • B. Blockades : Battle in front of a port, will force player inside the battle when they undock (they can still re enter dock when they see this, and so not draged into battle instance). 
  • C.  Solve the long waiting time outside a battle, or in battle screen. 
  • D. A ganked player can actually hope for reinforcement, and so will be probably more combative to slow down opponents. 
  • E. Partially solve the "spying issue" some nations have .... because right now knowing what is waiting outside an instance is SO CRITICAL that some players feel forced into unfair spying technics (with players switching nations to spy the other one) , to scout their way before leaving a battle. 
  • F. Solve the "hidden fleet" , waiting in battle screen to spawn several hours after near an enemy port or capital, very annoying and urealistic feature

Conclusion : 

What do you think, players and Devs about it, I would like to have some feedback from devs if they want to or think the idea is interesting (it took me long time of discussing with friends, gamers from the game and some from other games to come up with this proposal)

Thank you for your attention , See you all soon on the seas, and hopefully not below :)

i totaly agree!

Honestly, I'm so tired of hearing about this topic and pretty much everything related to it. 2 minute timer is THE BEST thing they have introduced to this game. How in the world people can think it's a good option to allow players to potentially teleport from one post to another....make ready and depart a port....sail 50 miles...and enter a battle is beyond me. You simply cannot have an open world that uses time compression with a battle instance that uses real time and expect to keep that instance open for longer periods of time. You realize in 5 minutes, for example, I could read a call for help in nation chat and transfer literally hundreds of miles across the map, grab a ship, leave port and engage the enemy...and you guys are ok with that?

Secondly, people whining about their group getting separated on the ow well guess what, it's YOUR fault. Learn to play....when I sail with a teammate I have never once had this problem....not a single time. Why? Because I realize it is our responsibility to pay attention and stay close....stop blaming game mechanics for what equates to lazy play. Really exhausting when people complain about their own laziness and lack of effort and blame the game.

Thirdly, the whole BR screen complaint is tiring as well. You had your chance in the instance to keep the enemy tagged...you failed...move on. Essentially what some people want is a 100% chance at their revenge gank....if you manage to escape I want to be able to tag you again and see if it works....if it fails I want to get another chance and on and on till we succeed. Yea cool story but it doesn't work that way and shouldn't. It's completely ok when when an enemy shows up in territorial waters and his presence is broadcast across the entire nation instantly with coordinates. Then we got people talking in nation chat or teamspeak, people transferring instantly across the map, and sailing out to chase down the intruder....except they fail and now the 10v1 is annoyed they didn't get their chance to sink him. Too bad people. I understand the frustration but it has to be this way due to various technologies and game mechanics. Every night I hear people in nation chat give out co-ordinates, ship types, player names, direction of sail, and on and on about players around MT....if they had the opportunity to engage these players and then pile in they would and it would make the game shit.

People just cry about everything....it's exhausting. Today I was sailing with a friend and we were attacked BR 680 to 340....or something like that....we had 2 frigs versus a connie, trinc, and belle....definitely a bit outgunned and outmanned. Some would even call it a gank I suppose...Well we won. It's not to brag, it's to say that just because you are the underdog in a fight does not mean you are going to lose people. It was a fun fight and if the enemy could have kept reinforcing it to make it a 8v2 would that have made it a better gaming experience for everyone? No, it would not have. The 8 would have gained nothing besides having a roll your face across the keyboard win and the 2 would have had zero opportunity to do anything. 

Too many people even talk about it in chat. Trying to sound like they are Sun Tzu reincarnated and espousing that you should only engage in fight when you have overwhelming odds of victory. The number of historical actions where a smaller force fought a numerically superior force is countless. Stop trying to justify the we only fight if we will win 100% of the time mentality people. I fight a lot, I lose sometimes too....it happens and it's ok. I have so much respect for some of the opponents I have fought, weather it was a win or loss, who simply engaged in a relative fair fight and were honorable about it. Most of the truly exceptional players I have fought have been honorable....they don't talk trash because they don't need to. Their actions speak for themselves. I respect that in those players. If you need to resort to some gimmicky game mechanic like port camping, BR screen camping, load screen camping or whatever to pull off a gank of 5v1 then whatever.....truth is you are not very good and nobody respects you. 

Lastly, I should probably post this reply to the other 10 posts about this subject but I'm too lazy. In short....if the enemy has 2 ships and you REALLY want to fight them then sail out there with 2 similar ships and fight them people. I'm guessing they are looking for pvp in the first place so go take them up on it. I'm guessing what the real problem is, however, is you don't want to fight them on equal terms...no....you want that no risk opportunity to feel good about yourself. And hey that's fine too go try to gank them gents....however, don't be mad if you don't succeed and they hide in a BR screen denying you of your 100% win chance. You had your opportunity to get them and it failed....move on.

• Like 3

Honestly, I'm so tired of hearing about this topic and pretty much everything related to it. 2 minute timer is THE BEST thing they have introduced to this game. How in the world people can think it's a good option to allow players to potentially teleport from one post to another....make ready and depart a port....sail 50 miles...and enter a battle is beyond me. You simply cannot have an open world that uses time compression with a battle instance that uses real time and expect to keep that instance open for longer periods of time. You realize in 5 minutes, for example, I could read a call for help in nation chat and transfer literally hundreds of miles across the map, grab a ship, leave port and engage the enemy...and you guys are ok with that?

Secondly, people whining about their group getting separated on the ow well guess what, it's YOUR fault. Learn to play....when I sail with a teammate I have never once had this problem....not a single time. Why? Because I realize it is our responsibility to pay attention and stay close....stop blaming game mechanics for what equates to lazy play. Really exhausting when people complain about their own laziness and lack of effort and blame the game.

Thirdly, the whole BR screen complaint is tiring as well. You had your chance in the instance to keep the enemy tagged...you failed...move on. Essentially what some people want is a 100% chance at their revenge gank....if you manage to escape I want to be able to tag you again and see if it works....if it fails I want to get another chance and on and on till we succeed. Yea cool story but it doesn't work that way and shouldn't. It's completely ok when when an enemy shows up in territorial waters and his presence is broadcast across the entire nation instantly with coordinates. Then we got people talking in nation chat or teamspeak, people transferring instantly across the map, and sailing out to chase down the intruder....except they fail and now the 10v1 is annoyed they didn't get their chance to sink him. Too bad people. I understand the frustration but it has to be this way due to various technologies and game mechanics. Every night I hear people in nation chat give out co-ordinates, ship types, player names, direction of sail, and on and on about players around MT....if they had the opportunity to engage these players and then pile in they would and it would make the game shit.

People just cry about everything....it's exhausting. Today I was sailing with a friend and we were attacked BR 680 to 340....or something like that....we had 2 frigs versus a connie, trinc, and belle....definitely a bit outgunned and outmanned. Some would even call it a gank I suppose...Well we won. It's not to brag, it's to say that just because you are the underdog in a fight does not mean you are going to lose people. It was a fun fight and if the enemy could have kept reinforcing it to make it a 8v2 would that have made it a better gaming experience for everyone? No, it would not have. The 8 would have gained nothing besides having a roll your face across the keyboard win and the 2 would have had zero opportunity to do anything. 

Too many people even talk about it in chat. Trying to sound like they are Sun Tzu reincarnated and espousing that you should only engage in fight when you have overwhelming odds of victory. The number of historical actions where a smaller force fought a numerically superior force is countless. Stop trying to justify the we only fight if we will win 100% of the time mentality people. I fight a lot, I lose sometimes too....it happens and it's ok. I have so much respect for some of the opponents I have fought, weather it was a win or loss, who simply engaged in a relative fair fight and were honorable about it. Most of the truly exceptional players I have fought have been honorable....they don't talk trash because they don't need to. Their actions speak for themselves. I respect that in those players. If you need to resort to some gimmicky game mechanic like port camping, BR screen camping, load screen camping or whatever to pull off a gank of 5v1 then whatever.....truth is you are not very good and nobody respects you. 

Lastly, I should probably post this reply to the other 10 posts about this subject but I'm too lazy. In short....if the enemy has 2 ships and you REALLY want to fight them then sail out there with 2 similar ships and fight them people. I'm guessing they are looking for pvp in the first place so go take them up on it. I'm guessing what the real problem is, however, is you don't want to fight them on equal terms...no....you want that no risk opportunity to feel good about yourself. And hey that's fine too go try to gank them gents....however, don't be mad if you don't succeed and they hide in a BR screen denying you of your 100% win chance. You had your opportunity to get them and it failed....move on.

Well ... did you even read what is written ? :P 

I did not complained, nor whinning,  nor asked for risk free engagement .... 

Yeah, with the time compression in OW, we really need the timer.

We should try to cut back on the teleports. It's sort of turning off global tactics, in a way. Maybe get rid of the coordinate system? Not sure about that one. I remember we got around okay before it was in the game. Then again, we always made sure to sail together, if the situation called for it. Then again, that come right back to the teleport issue. With unlimited teleports, there is no such thing as "safe waters". If it was cut back, we could actually have an idea of where we could go without being rekt by some teleport fleet. Then, if you go near enemy ports, it might be a good idea to get a few buddies!

Maybe cut teleporting to and from free towns entirely for Nationals? Then we have just as much mobility, but aren't always looking over our shoulder after exiting a free port deep in our own territory.