Game-Labs Forum

Press Gang Bug?

Fripwud

I lost almost all crew in a hard bording vs a Sanissima and lost afterwards my ship vs 2 pirates in pvp.

So I tryed to get my crew up again with boarding NPCs in solo missions. I went out with ~280 crew (which I got for free?) on my Constitution and boarded 2 Renomees.

After 1st Renomee I got up to 394 crew, after the 2nd I was up to full 450 crew on my Conny. But in Battle screen I was back to 286 crew. 

I tryed the same procedure multiple times, always with same outcome - so is this a (new) bug?

PS: one more try as follows:

I bought crew in port to 300 and went out once more. I boareded 2 ships and hat ~380 crew afterwards (and put 2 men on each of the NPC ships).

After sending both ships to outposts in battlescreen I had exactly 304 crew. So it seems, that you cant get more crew through boarding than you had when leaving the port on the first place. I am almost sure, that this mechanic worked different a few days ago.

Can anyone else share his/her experiences with press gang perk lately?

I might be wrong but doesn't the perk work pressing crew to your commanded ship only ? If so it works only to fill in lost crew and not win new crew.

Yah it's not meant to replace crew you didn't have on the ship at start of battle. It's to replace up to what you came into the battle with.  This is to prevent exactly what the OP is trying to do is get free crew with boards to replace the ones you lost in another battle.  Think of it this way.  Why would more crew want to join you cause you can't keep your crew alive?

You want to know a fast cheap way to get your crew back?  Make med kits and use though instead. If you make them you can actually get the crew back fairly cheap.   

hm, ic, maybe the perk has been changed, but I didnt see this change in any change log or patch notes. So whats the point of this perk now anymore? Just for being able to chainboard in battles, but not for replenishing crew for your crew pool? Don't know, if this is still worth then - only if your main goal is to just go boarding all the time...

I think, I may drop that perk for more combat perks then.

hm, ic, maybe the perk has been changed, but I didnt see this change in any change log or patch notes. So whats the point of this perk now anymore? Just for being able to chainboard in battles, but not for replenishing crew for your crew pool? Don't know, if this is still worth then - only if your main goal is to just go boarding all the time...

I think, I may drop that perk for more combat perks then.

To me it works exactly like I expected it to.  My LVG tags a trader and I get him slow enough to board.  My LVG is fit to board with extra crew and marines and a few other things dealing with only boarding.  I can pretty much win a board on a Brig or Snow trader with two moves.   I might of lost say 5-10 crew.  Well I tend to kill about 30-40 crew when I attack so that leaves 20-30 crew to be pressed into mine and since I only lost 5-10 that is all I get.  The rest are sent to Davy Jones locker or part of the ransom when I sale the ship back in port (or break it down).   This is the same when I board ships in fleet battles with my Trinc.  I Get all my crew lost back most the time and able to continue onto the next ship that I"ll beat down and board.  When I leave the battle I try to make my last ship a board to get all my crew back from the fight.  Than we can keep going to the next mission and grinding.  The perk was never meant as a way to get back lost crew you didn't have on your ship in the first place.  I would say stop trying to board unless your rigged up to board too.  That is prob why your not getting many crew back if any.  Also you want to get many as possible you go for MORAL BREAK not kills.  The faster you get the moral to 0 the faster they will surrender and the more crew you get to press into your lost crew that fight.

I have tested the multi board and capture in a battle where i put 20 crew on the Trinc my Trinc boarded in a Fleet mission and capture.  I than went to another ship (think it was Surprise) and I boarded it and won.  I got back my 20 crew I put on the Trinc and all that I lost in the fight.  So at the end of the battle i had full crew and the two ships.  Though I sent them back to port to be scrapped sold.  When I did this I got back the crew that I put on them cause I was just a few short (think 5) at the end of the battle from what I started from and what was left on each ship when I beat them.

I notieced the same thing, you can use it to chain board ships and bring up our crew to the max a ship can hold but you can't repletish your free crew with it.

Yesterday i tried to fill up my crew from 536 while sailing a boarding fitted bucantaure in the first battle i manged to board a 3rd, bellona and a pavel and messed up the pavel boarding a bit so i ended with about 650, but in the battle resultes i got only around 530 so no new crew. S

o i tried again after using one med kit and that battle i started with 680 crew i ende up with 950 crew but in the battle results i didn't got any new crew.

So you can only pervent your self from lossing crew but you can get new crew that way at least if your capping ships of the line (they are sold after the battle automaticly).

PS: one more try as follows:

I bought crew in port to 300 and went out once more. I boareded 2 ships and hat ~380 crew afterwards (and put 2 men on each of the NPC ships).

After sending both ships to outposts in battlescreen I had exactly 304 crew. So it seems, that you cant get more crew through boarding than you had when leaving the port on the first place. I am almost sure, that this mechanic worked different a few days ago.

Can anyone else share his/her experiences with press gang perk lately?

I think had same issue...I was like missing around 200 from 1100 crew total so took ~790 crew on my Buca for boarding solo 200xp mission to see can I get free crew through boarding. Had two 3rd rates and filled my ship to 840 but after leaving mission had same ammount as before entering mission which was ~790

did i understand the reported bug correctly?

Bug

If you enter into battle with 50 people you will exit with 50 people even if you got 1000 more through the press gang perk. Right?

yup that is correct

did i understand the reported bug correctly?

Bug

If you enter into battle with 50 people you will exit with 50 people even if you got 1000 more through the press gang perk. Right?

exactly, what I meant. Not sure though, if it's a new bug or feature ;). Maybe you have changed the mechanic intentionally, because you found it OP to get previosly lost crew back. Just didn't find any hint in any changelogs so far...