Game-Labs Forum

Development plans for conquest mechanics (RVR)

This is awesome, but I have to throw in a word of caution: If Alpha has taught us anything, it is that unrestricted RvR is bad for the playerbase, and harmful to the losing nation's community. Blockading and conquest of Capitals will have an impact on people who are not wholly active in RvR.. and I bet that is the majority.

Personally, I can get behind the anything goes approach, but at the same time I worry we will play an empty game :)

Winning a map reset needs to come with spoils for the loser as well, like a massive penalty of some sort for the winning alliance in the next round.

• Like 7

For all the people crying about steamrolling small nations your forgetting the small little fact that PB's are being reworked to be a rare occasion with 2 days of preparations and will never be anything but full unless a nations sports less than 25 players in total, which i sincerely doubt, meaning that victory or loss in RvR will be dictated solely by skill instead of zerging.

• Like 2

Any comments on Pirates in RvR with where this is going?

I understand the alliance mechanism dosnt really factor in the pirates, so do we become mercenaries? 

I dont pirates mind being out of the RvR system entirely, since historically they didnt really fight over control of territory as much as the nationals.

But we definitely can't have the pirate system the way it is now if RvR with alliances are going to come into play.

• Like 3

Seems like it's Nations..... But I'm not sure on some of the letters.

Edit: Yes, definitely nations, with I being independent/freeport, N being Neutral, P being Pirate.

Thanks! Makes perfect sense. I couldn't figure out the WC on Gustavia, but of course Sweden and Spain couldn't both be S.

Interesting.

Does the (I) equal freetowns or the (N) or the big white circles? If (I) or (N) is not freetowns, whats the difference in them?

Looks to me like "I" is freetowns, "N" is Neutral (capture-able). No idea what the white circles would be.

EDIT: Red circles are obviously capitals, seems like white circles are towns that may be changing faction? E.G Sunbury is listed as US on this map?

Edited by Captain Kibble

Regarding total victory, if it will be anything like in potbs then it should go something like this:

step 1) Once it's becoming clear that some nation/coalition is starting to win the map, half of the victim nation stops playing and pvers start hating on pvpers while not doing anything to prevent their current situation. The casuals of steamroll nation start joining the pb's to be part of the rape train and it will affect the results of the port battles for said nation due to communication and organization problems. The members of losing nation will try to escape the sinking ship to winning side before map is officially won to also receive benefits of victory, a lot of angry people because of crossteaming.

step 2) After map reset, the winning nation gains certain amount of players from loser nation (forced alliance here to make this transition easier I suppose) because people prefer to be on the winning side and the circle continues.

Good luck to the moderators of national news if this get's implemented

• Like 1

Regarding total victory, if it will be anything like in potbs then it should go something like this:

step 1) Once it's becoming clear that some nation/coalition is starting to win the map, half of the victim nation stops playing and pvers start hating on pvpers while not doing anything to prevent their current situation. The casuals of steamroll nation start joining the pb's to be part of the rape train and it will affect the results of the port battles for said nation due to communication and organization problems. The members of losing nation will try to escape the sinking ship to winning side before map is officially won to also receive benefits of victory, a lot of angry people because of crossteaming.

step 2) After map reset, the winning nation gains certain amount of players from loser nation (forced alliance here to make this transition easier I suppose) because people prefer to be on the winning side and the circle continues.

Good luck to the moderators of national news if this get's implemented

Not all care about Nation win. Some only care about pvp and there will be lots of it. Once 10 action zones light up all ships will head there. Boring? No not with this design. I remember In Potbs we only pvped and only on occasion helped with RvR. In the end Devs have to balance pvp-rvr rewards, so both parties are happy. 

• Like 1

May I suggest that if a nation is wiped out, you can start as that nation from a free port and pull the flag from that free port to try and re-take the nations capital.  This will allow people who want a challenge of rebuilding a nation the option to go that nation and try and recreate that nations foothold.

Example:  Spain is wiped off the map, anyone who starts as Spain will start at Key West with the option to pull the flag from Key West for La Habana (Spain's capital).  No other flags can be pulled from the free port and the flag can only be pulled if La Habana is occupied from a nation other than Spain. 

• Like 5

Looks to me like "I" is freetowns, "N" is Neutral (capture-able). No idea what the white circles would be.

EDIT: Red circles are obviously capitals, seems like white circles are towns that may be changing faction? E.G Sunbury is listed as US on this map?

Then look at the Costa del Fuego area. Cabo Canaveral, San Sebastain, Jobe, & Rio Seco are all freetowns with only Ays (regional capital) & Cayo Bisayno as Spain and therefore capable? I think the (I) is something else.

I believe that this sort of grand conquest can certainly be fun, but I don't believe it should be the primary mode of the game. As we've seen with PotBS, this sort of game style does lend itself to people swapping sides simply to grind rewards, and in this specific case will end with the smaller nations, such as Sweden and France, being wiped out rather quickly due to close proximity to their neighbors and lack of buffer zones. 

I'm certainly in favor of giving it a test and seeing how it goes, but I believe that in final release it would likely be best to have this sort of conquest be a secondary game mode running parallel with an ongoing and constant server in the current games iteration/EVE style. It's simply better for prolonged play, and a lasting investment by the playerbase.

May I suggest that if a nation is wiped out, you can start as that nation from a free port and pull the flag from that free port to try and re-take the nations capital.  This will allow people who want a challenge of rebuilding a nation the option to go that nation and try and recreate that nations foothold.

Example:  Spain is wiped off the map, anyone who starts as Spain will start at Key West with the option to pull the flag from Key West for La Habana (Spain's capital).  No other flags can be pulled from the free port and the flag can only be pulled if La Habana is occupied from a nation other than Spain. 

Um with the new PB system there is no "flag" to pull.

• Like 2