Game-Labs Forum

Wow, that's pretty impressive!

Some fine-tuning suggestions:

At 0:30 we hear "hoist the main and topsail" (should be "tops'l" maybe)

Question: In an hour-long battle how many times will we hear that phrase?

a. Only when *we* give the corresponding command

b. 1-3 times

c. 4-8 times

d. 8 or more times

Thanks for your hard work!

• Like 1

I think what happens is sometimes guns fire simultaneously and the cannon fire pops because the gain is so high having multiple sounds played at once. At least thats what I was hearing at one point, but it hasn't stood out lately. Do you guys run the audio through a compressor or does unity do it automatically?

Was wondering how many sounds this game engine can run simultaneously, some game engines let you set 64 layers, 128 or 256 for example, some are set by default on 64 layers and you need to manually edit the .ini files to profit of more sounds run simultaneously or you loose some during complex sound environment display, then i found this : http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/220564/how-many-sounds-can-play-all-at-once.html, again there is mention of the cracks but apparently linked to some reverb and i didn't understood much about the sounds priority that are virtualized first here, game engines are not my thing.

Saw also that it could be looping sounds that generate a click before the loop if they are not starting and especially ending with a quick fade in/out effect at 0dB volume lvl ,saw some code to add a fade-in effect directly in game engine too, not sure what it i worth but who knows.

And also this : http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/375774/what-causes-the-audio-clicking-how-do-i-get-a-clea.html ,

"unity 3d sound crackling" in google gives load of result, hard to see clear in all this without spending days on it.

My soundcard can run 128 at once, 128 hardware-accelerated voices or 3D voices like they call it sometimes, most recent card can easily run 256, however i highly doubt we reach the 128 sounds at once in game, ctrl+k log that i just found in game seems to say the same, played games with way more complex and rich sound environment without any issues, will have to play a bit with ctrl+k opened record videos when it happens, then check for looping sounds displayed to verify, btw is it possible to move the crtl+k sound log window from the middle of the screen ? wasn't able to move it when i tried it .

Will see what i can come with in the next days .

• Like 1

The sounds in this game are awesome, and you guys do a great job all around. I've had neighbor complaints because I turn the game up too loud pretty much all the time at home, except for really late at night. The cannon sounds are so satisfying when you let loose on a Vic or Santi. Naval Action recently passed all my other games on Steam for most played (580+ hours and counting), and there's no end in sight. I dug the voices and can't wait to see them implemented. I second what some of the previous posters asked for - which is music...It would help with those long sails..and this game has plenty of those. Keep up the great work! I'll play this game as long as there's servers for it. Also - please nuke the rats. Take em out behind the shed and put em down. POW. One in each ear. ;)

• Like 1

Excellent work! I would add to the request for regional dialects that a difference be made in English versus "American". I know historically there would have been little difference between the two given the recent Colonial changes in government but I feel like a Yankee should be a Yankee and a Brit should be more.. British? Maybe throw some Irish/Scottish/Welsh accents in there too? Perhaps I am getting too greedy :)

Looking forward to it! 

(also if musket fire is ever added oh my goodness I will get far too excited..) 

• Like 1

It is a good job, and I'm sure it will be even better once released, as I agree with many comments above.

Sounds, btw, it's part of the immersive experience you can have with this game.

But... but... there is something I really miss right now...

A sound when I get a private message from someone within the ingame chat. 

Sometimes I just realised someone sent me a message, just to discover it was 30 minutes ago, and that information worth nothing now.

So a small "beep" when you receive a private message would help a lot!

I can't wait for the next updates to this wonderful game.

• Like 6

I am Dimitriy Dyachenko, I create sound for Naval Action. Here is the latest results of experiment with improved battle sound and voice commands, I hope you'll like it: [...]

Same as Snoop !

/drool

:)

Thanks Dimitriy Dyachenko for your work ! Makes me feel as exited as a young virgin on prom nights eve !

Edited by Kair
  • Like 1

As much as I enjoy the continued pursuit of the immersion which is well done in this demonstration unless the commands are relevant to events they will just become a 'noise' that will be underappreciated and perhaps annoy some. I do hope these verbal commands will be keyed to events such as guns being at the ready etc.

• Like 1

Dimitri, I know the Mortar Brig isn't very popular, but the sound is fantastic. Could it be possible, though not a priority, to give it some kind of sound as it goes through the air and lands?

You have this great crash as it fires, and then silence and finally a plop in the water. Also I think it should have a unique sound when striking ships. It is a 308pdr, after all.

Thank you for your great work!

Edited by Pad Seayew
  • Like 1

Sorry to come in late in this topic ( I have not played this game very long and trying to read everything in the forum...catching up)

In general sounds are really awesome and it's great that they have been set to not be too discernible as far as voices. Otherwise constant repetition would become quickly annoying.

I used to live on a sailboat some time ago and there two sounds that feel to me are missing in the game although trivial compared to cannons etc...They are adding to the mood you get aboard.

1/ The sound of the boat at anchor (there's no anchor but when it's not moving-therefore simulating being on the hook).

Halyards banging softly against the mast along with the clapping of water against the hull. Especially if it's stormy or very windy they get pretty loud and if they are pulled too tight they'll start howling and whistling.

2/ The howling of halyards, sheets and all lines (ropes) in general when in very windy or stormy weather. It really is a haunting and rather loud sound when it starts piping above 30 knots of wind.

This is already an awesome and unique game. Hard to believe it's only Alpha!

Edited by Tonnerre de Brest
  • Like 3