Game-Labs Forum

'Rayo' Spanish 80-gun Ship (With Plans)

Ned Loe

'Rayo'

The Rayo was an 80-gun ship of the line of the Spanish Navy. As was traditional for Spanish ships not named after a saint, its second, dedicatory name was San Pedro Apóstol. It fought at Trafalgar and was dismasted as a result of damage sustained in the battle. When she sortied after Trafalgar in order to recover prizes, the warship was captured by HMS Donegal. Subsequently, she ran aground and was wrecked in a storm. Her broken hull was set ablaze and destroyed by British sailors on 31 October.

Characteristics

Class and type: 80-gun Rayo-class ship of the line

Tons burthen: 1,750 bm
Length: 55 m
Beam: 15,80 m
Draught: 8,68 m
Sail plan: Full-rigged ship
Complement:
80 guns, 1752: 453 men
100 guns, at Trafalgar: 812 men
Armament:
As a 80 gun ship (1751)
30 × 24-pounder guns
32 × 18-pounder guns
18 × 8-pounder guns
2 × 3-pounder guns
As a 100 gun ship (1803)
1805 - 100 guns
Lower Gun Deck - 30x Spanish 36-Pounder
Upper Gun Deck - 32x Spanish 18-Pounder
Spardeck- 32x Spanish 8-Pounder
Roundhouse - 6x Spanish 18-Pound Carronades

Plans

3o8sWJb.jpgIkcPm8y.jpg

9P5SYr3.jpg

Bonus. Identify these ships. HD Plans.

XknCBQ4.jpg

tKSMMsz.jpg

wgHoRnc.jpg

• Like 1

Your 1803 armament is incorrect, as math would indicate. Also, 1805 is the correct year of her re-classing and armament to 100 guns.

1805 - 100 guns

Obviously plans posted under her name appear to be for her as an 80-gun ship. The second unidentified plan is Rayo with spar deck and more guns added.

Forum search shows both have been posted here already:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/2425-ship-request-2nd-rate/?p=92097

plano11_max.jpg

• Like 1

Somewhat off-topic, but it appears that some of those plans mark Center of Gravity and Center of Buoyancy a la Chapman?

And if so, they somehow managed to add a spar deck and dramatically increase the armament without seriously affecting the CoG. 

Somewhat off-topic, but it appears that some of those plans mark Center of Gravity and Center of Buoyancy a la Chapman?

And if so, they somehow managed to add a spar deck and dramatically increase the armament without seriously affecting the CoG. 

The  Rayo was build in La Habana , maybe they use heavy tropical woods for the lower parts and use lighter woods fot the upper to move down the  COG ?

i don't have any reference to prove that , just my idea based on how the COG works in Kerbal Space Program xD

Your 1803 armament is incorrect, as math would indicate. Also, 1805 is the correct year of her re-classing and armament to 100 guns.

1805 - 100 guns

Obviously plans posted under her name appear to be for her as an 80-gun ship. The second unidentified plan is Rayo with spar deck and more guns added.

Forum search shows both have been posted here already:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/2425-ship-request-2nd-rate/?p=92097

plano11_max.jpg

Made corrections. Old post was deleted, so I wanted to make the dedicated thread for her and provide good quality plans. 

XknCBQ4.jpg

Just to try to answer the "bonus" question!

I think the 3rd rate depicted here is one of the French 3rd rate designs, when the British and French navies were trying to perfect a third rate design in the 1760s-80s. She's very similar to the Bellona, but clearly shorter and with fewer guns perhaps. I can't name a specific class, but I know that both navies came up with a lot of different designs- and that only a select few actually were built, or had success. Bellona was one of those great successful designs :)

This appears to be a 60 gun ship. Both the British and French historically whipped up 60 gun 4rd rates, which didn't get anywhere notable. The 60 gunner ships didn't work out so well, as they were too lightly armed to compete in the line of battle. I don't think this plan here is of a successful class of ships, and perhaps that ship was never built at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Uhhhh.... the old Rayo. He was the oldest ship who fought in Trafalgar. By that time he was out of phase but his captain and his officers had lot of experience. The history of this ship is really interesting, if you can, I encourage you to read about this ship

Edited by Pablo Frias
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 28.06.2016 at 7:59 PM, _Masterviolin said:

XknCBQ4.jpg

Just to try to answer the "bonus" question!

I think the 3rd rate depicted here is one of the French 3rd rate designs, when the British and French navies were trying to perfect a third rate design in the 1760s-80s. She's very similar to the Bellona, but clearly shorter and with fewer guns perhaps. I can't name a specific class, but I know that both navies came up with a lot of different designs- and that only a select few actually were built, or had success. Bellona was one of those great successful designs :)

This appears to be a 60 gun ship. Both the British and French historically whipped up 60 gun 4rd rates, which didn't get anywhere notable. The 60 gunner ships didn't work out so well, as they were too lightly armed to compete in the line of battle. I don't think this plan here is of a successful class of ships, and perhaps that ship was never built at all.

This is a Spanish ship development sistema Jorge Juan 58 cañones1752г. The exact name of the ship is unknown.

африка 58пушек 1752г Jorge Juan Система.jpg

Edited by SlavaPrizrak85
  • Like 1

On 28.06.2016 at 6:07 PM, Capitan Camuñas said:

The  Rayo was build in La Habana , maybe they use heavy tropical woods for the lower parts and use lighter woods fot the upper to move down the  COG ?

i don't have any reference to prove that , just my idea based on how the COG works in Kerbal Space Program xD

Spain used this technology.  In particular, to improve seaworthiness  navío Santisima Trinidad. Trinidad was made entirely of Cuban mahogany. Was very strong but with poor sea keeping qualities.  Engineer Romero Fernandez de Landa proposed to replace the wood trim on the sides easier.

Quote. "Navíos de la Real Armada 1700 - 1860" Enrique García-Torralba Pérez  "A estos efectos se solicito al entonces Ingeniero General Romero Fernandez de Landa, que formase un plano con la propuesta de las modificaciones a introducir; el plano referido no se ha conservado, como tampoco las propuestas que solo conocemos por las referencias a las mismas efectuadas con motivo de su discusion; al parecer, la propuesta de Romero consistia en aligerar las maderas de sus costados con lo que, al reducirse el peso de estos, se disminuia su propension a la escora, solucion ya adoptada para los primeros navios de Gautier, que padecian el mismo problema y que, como veremos en su momento, se revelo altamente efectiva. El problema era el monto de las obras y su costo pues implicaban rebajar el puntal del buque, deshacer la 1 cubierta y hacer de nuevo la 2 y la 3 , variando los anchos y altos de las portas, asi como reconstruir los baos de las cubiertas, todo lo que suponia un costo de 200.000 pesos." 

Edited by SlavaPrizrak85
  • Like 1