Game-Labs Forum

'President' American 44-Gun Frigate (With Plans)

'President'

xLnb9F0.jpg

USS President was a wooden-hulled, three-masted heavy frigate of the United States Navy, nominally rated at 44 guns. George Washington named her to reflect a principle of the United States Constitution. She was launched in April 1800 from a shipyard in New York City. President was one of the original six frigates whose construction the Naval Act of 1794 had authorized, and she was the last to be completed.

Characteristics 

Class and type:

50-gun

60-gun (1817)

Tons burthen: 1533 7⁄94 (bm)

Length:

173 ft 3 in (52.8 m) (overall);

146 ft 4 3⁄4 in (44.6 m) (keel)

Beam: 44 ft 4 in (13.5 m)

Depth of hold: 13 ft 11 in (4.2 m)

Armament:

30 × 24-pounder guns (10.9 kg)

28 × 42-pounder (19 kg) carronades

2 × 24-pounder guns (10.9 kg)

Plans

byUm23d.jpg

• Like 5

One of the US frigates in a 'as launched' config without those raised bulwarks would be really nice to have ingame :)

Edit: USS President in a storm by A. Roux, 1802

gvTbwnE.jpg

And her sister United States, also by A. Roux

McYxscJ.png

• Like 3

Might be an additional plan in the American Ship Plans thread, Wind, from a 3D imaging perspective. I don't recall quite correctly.

I couldn't find any plans there. Can someone compare her to Constitution? What are the differences. 

Here´s original draft of the Constitution-class:

Not solid bulwarks, much better looks, in my humble opinion :P

Edit:

How comes the uploads are rescaled? The pic I uploaded had 2 mb (4900*1800), the attached file is 390 kb.

Edited by Malachi

Here´s original draft of the Constitution-class:

attachicon.gifConstitution_class.png

Not solid bulwarks, much better looks, in my humble opinion :P

Edit:

How comes the uploads are rescaled? The pic I uploaded had 2 mb (4900*1800), the attached file is 390 kb.

I sure wish the Constitution in game model had the same curves as the real Constitution.  :mellow: 

• Like 1

i wanna see all the USS frigate make it into game with their slight variants in difference so people can pick which suits them best in their own way, someone made a post about the recipes and different stats for them would be interesting.

Can someone compare her to Constitution? What are the differences?

From the Barbary Wars shipdata register:

Constitution: 

length 175', breadth 44' 6', depth in hold 14' 3'' *, tonnage 1576, battery (1804): 30 24-pounders, 14 12-pounders, 8 32-pounders

*measured  from the keel up to the gundeck, not like the upper gun deck as for President, I assume

President:

length 176', breadth 45' 10', depth in hold 19' 8'', tonnage 1576, battery (1801): 30 24-pounders and ?

there are also mast and spar dimensions for both ships (President 1801, Constitution 1803), looks like President had a slightly smaller rig.

Oops, sorry, you´re right, the second pic in my post also shows President. Maybe I was a bit confused by the title: The United States ship President entering the harbor of Marseilles :P

Edit: Are there any other pictures or descriptions of President´s figurehead?

Looks like there two women:

Edited by Malachi

Oops, sorry, you´re right, the second pic in my post also shows President. Maybe I was a bit confused by the title: The United States ship President entering the harbor of Marseilles :P

Edit: Are there any other pictures or descriptions of President´s figurehead?

Looks like there two women:

ETNhvll.jpg

They look like angels or just 2 girls staring to the left. 

What is seen cannot be unseen...

Oh my....P

Looks like the figure in the middle is supposed to be George Washington sitting on a rock, 'supported' by two female full-length figure representing Justice and Truth (description in American figureheads and their carvers )

Transom:

"Stern: In the center of the taffrail, the figure of America the right arm resting on the base of a monument and three books representing the three branches of government; in the right hand a pen, to record the heroic actions of her sons; in her left, the Constitution of the United States; at her feet, the American Fasces erect, supported by the standards of the Army and the Navy. On her right the figure of Wisdom, and the left the figure of Strength, both inclined, and looking to the center; in the right hand of Wisdom, a spear, the left resting against the port, and the bird of vigilence at her feet.; the left hand of Strength resting on a herculean club, the right hand resting against the port as the grand supporters of America ..."

U.S.S. President and the Constitution are of the same design by Humphrey's with minimal deviations like all ships have at that yards due to materials, construction techniques, equipment etc. 

The only one of the big four that is actually different in a meaningful amount outwardly is the  U.S.S. Chesapeake which was altered extensively by Josiah Fox and ended up being smaller and lighter constructed/armed then the other three 44s. Congress and Constellation where designed by Humphrey's in the beginning to be nominal 38 gun. 

Edit:

When you use the "My Media" tool to post a pic that you have uploaded to your profile gallery it posts as a thumbnail image, as you can see in the code when posting. This is the preferred method for forums, because it is a space saver and requires much less scrolling to get to the next post.

If you wish to post a full sized image, then you need to use the "Image" tool button located second row about in the middle. This requires you to upload an image to a outside source like imgr.com or the like and then paste the link to that full image in the tool window that pops up. 

Edited by Cpt Blackthorne
  • Like 1

Here's another copy of the President and Constitution plans as they are in Chapelle's book. I'm also including a comparison I put together of frigate sterns in the US Navy at the time for another website. Constitution and United States were broadly similar to the President plan there (taken by the RN after they captured her), but after the war they were refitted with the Guerriere-type stern for increased stern firepower (at the time the US 24-pdrs were weak there, couldn't fire the main deck armament there either without damaging the structure, as Constitution did).

Anyway, their appearance changed heavily between construction and the War of 1812, much less Constitution as she is today.

http://imgur.com/a/T3aDz

post-23027-0-05705300-1467217093_thumb.jpg

post-23027-0-29476100-1467217175_thumb.jpg

post-23027-0-48999700-1467217218_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

these original builds look so much more appealing to the eye than the refit with these ugly bulwarks.

Also the colourscheme at launch looks a lot better than our black n white. Altho.. thats my opinion

The color changed regularly. During the War of 1812, for instance, they had both white and yellow stripes. Nelsonian checker and the more old-fashioned patterns were applicable. The ugliest, to me, was probably the one they wore from about the 1820s through the 20th century, where the white stripe continued unbroken across the bow. Really don't like how they blacked out the bow detail and just painted right across it. The bulwarks were worse later in the 19th century too, when she had solid waist bulwarks. Those were too heavy for her structure and finally got removed a few decades ago.

http://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/266.2-Salt-paper-print-1858.jpgThis is a photo of Constitution in the 1850s undergoing refit. You can see the heavy, solid waist too.

This is how she looks today, well, before her recent refit started. It's mostly the later structure still, but detailed to look like the War of 1812 configuration (the whole ship is an anacronistic hodgepodge right now). http://www.thedearsurprise.com/wp-content/gallery/ltigtuss-constitutionltigt/conph05.jpg

If the American frigates with yellow stripes sounds weird, try HMS Victory with white as she wore in the Victorian era. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Victory_Portsmouth_um_1900.jpg

Paint schemes after 1820 became very dull indeed with everyone using the same scheme for practical reasons. It made identifying a ship at long range from your own quite difficult. Which when faced against a much more robust and world wide present Navy of Great Britain a useful if flavorless asset.