Game-Labs Forum

At this point Marines are confined solely to boarding actions and with the latest patch they have been restrained a little with their abilities to insta-prep. 

One of the historical uses of Marines was as sharpshooters on the decks and masts of their ships and they would do this whenever the ships entered close combat (see: Nelson being killed by a sharpshooter etc). 

PROPOSAL

Equipping the Marines upgrades enables a passive "crew killing" ability when under 100m range.The mechanics of which would be a "X% chance of a crew kill" dice roll wherein the quality of Marines increases the frequency of the roll (i.e. 1 roll per minute for Common, 2 for Fine, 3 for Mastercraft, 4 for Exceptional) to reflect training improving reload rate.

Targeted enemy crew can be randomized between weather deck gun crews (if targeted ship has them) or sail-handling crew numbers. 

While this is a bonus to combat pre-boarding, the downside will be the visual cue of constant musket shots (puffs of much smaller smoke) when under 150m. This has the potential of obscuring vision of the Marine carrying vessel when trying to make cannon shots, while also signifying to the defender the presence of Marines. 

The_Battle_of_Copenhagen_1801_by_Christi

Marines in the background sniping at sail handlers in the Battle of Copenhagen 1801

Fall_of_Nelson.jpgNelson, mortally wounded falls to the deck of the Victory while in the background Marines line the gunwales trading volleys while sharpshooters pick out specific crew. 

• Like 6

Would be a nice feature being able to do that, of course they'll lose their battle prep while doing so. The mechanics for crew killing are already present, just deliver musket shots to the weather deck, maybe even in volleys of fire at will options.

• Like 1

For your reference here is detailed thread about this topic:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/380-musketmen-sharpshooters-swivel-guns/page-7?hl=musket#entry182936

Keep in mind that effective range for musketry, especially on a moving platform is about 75m.

Indeed, that's why I had the effective fire be under 100m before the dice rolls kick in whereupon the "hits" are RNG'd to an extent. Thank you for the link, seems there are some similar thoughts!

As far as men on deck, I don't think at this point it's particularly necessary and as admin's have said it's a performance hog. Reducing the men on deck to mere puffs of smoke could provide the atmosphere but hopefully without the penalty of performance. 

The idea is quite nice for a start. I would actually see the perks being more of a split by nation.

All Nations will have their respective Marines with more or less proficiency accordingly. Some nations had naval infantry, others dedicated sea infantry, etc.

• Like 2

The idea is quite nice for a start. I would actually see the perks being more of a split by nation.

All Nations will have their respective Marines with more or less proficiency accordingly. Some nations had naval infantry, others dedicated sea infantry, etc.

An interesting thought to break it down by nation! I feel like breaking it down into national proficiency would be a complicated proposal however and could lead to sentiments of "X Nation = OP!" which while historically accurate, I believe falls into the "fun game vs. historical accuracy" categories. Ultimately the devs want a game that's as fun as it can be while still having a level of historical accuracy.  Perhaps titling the upgrade for each nation i.e. Royal Marines for GB, Marines Corps for US, Fusiliers Marins or Compagnies Franches de la Marine for France, Dutch Korps Mariniers, Spanish Infanteria de Armada, Dansk-Norge gets the Marineregimentet, for Sweden it would be maybe useful to have an "embarked regiment" of Swedish army (Kronoberg Regiment perhaps?)

• Like 1