Game-Labs Forum

Port Battle Lobby in NA?

Before you vote, keep in mind that you're voting for having a lobby in general and NOT for what I find a good lobby should have, thanks!  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need a port battle lobby in NA?

• Yes, it will help to organize defense and attacks!
    • No, I don't want a lobby before entering a port battle!

[before you vote, keep in mind that you're voting for having a lobby in general and NOT for what I find a good lobby should have, thanks!]

2PyJ7qB.jpg

hi,

first I wanna say that I've never been in a port battle in Naval Action nor am I very eager to participate in one at the moment, hence it is very possible that my suggestion doesn't work well with NA.

However, from my POTBS days I remember that more and better overview and control over the port battle lobby instance would have been something awesome.. 

Here's what I think a good lobby should have:

Once attackers outside of a port which they intend to conquer are able to click 'join port battle' they'll join a lobby screen instead of immediately being transferred into the port battle instance. That lobby screen functions as an organization tool which the conquest flag buyer is in control of. However, everyone inside the lobby will be able to see what the flag buyer sees..

• Inside the lobby people get information about the players which have already joined the lobby like name, clan, level, ship, formed groups and port battle timer. 
  • The flag buyer can transfer control over the lobby to a different player which has already joined the lobby if he so desires.
  • The flag buyer and players inside the lobby can both create groups. 
  • The flag buyer can kick players out of the lobby. If kicked players try to reenter the flag buyer will see a request to join the lobby and ship info.
  • A lobby chat tab will automatically become available and includes the possibility to vote on things.
  • The flag buyer can draw lines and make marks on a tactical map of the port battle which everybody inside the lobby can see. Wind should be displayed, too. Admin can allow others to draw lines and make marks as well. 
  • The flag buyer will have to decide when to close the lobby and start the actual port battle before he runs out of time.
  • Once the battle has started stragglers will be able to directly jump into the battle for 40 mins. 
  • If the flag buyer disconnects/ crashes inside the lobby screen or decides to jump out of the lobby without transferring his flag buyer status, admin rights will be transferred to the leader or highest ranking member of his clan. If the flag buyer has no clan the rights will be transferred to the highest ranking leader of a different clan. If there is no clan leader, the highest ranking player will receive control over the lobby. 

Defenders will have the same style of lobby as well. However, defenders will have to use the chat to vote for a port battle commander if they so desire. An elected commander will have admin controls over the lobby. If a port had a governor it would make sense to automatically make him port battle commander as long as he gets early enough into the lobby. If the governor is not online or doesn't like to command he either stays away and people vote or he makes someone else leader inside the lobby.

Do you see possible exploits or unfair situations a port battle lobby could create considering the current iteration of Naval Action? 

Remember that there're also downsides to a port battle lobby like:

However, you could also argue that having no lobby at all makes the game more difficult. The initiators of an attack would be forced to organize an attack on their own without any tools provided by the game. Being able to control chaos requires a level of skill which a lobby tool would negate, hence make the game easier! 

Edited by BACk ALLEY ShENANiGANS

[before you vote, keep in mind that you're voting for having a lobby in general and NOT for what I find a good lobby should have, thanks!]

first I wanna say that I've never been in a port battle in Naval Action nor am I very eager to participate in one at the moment, hence it is very possible that my suggestion doesn't work well with NA.

i would edit the poll if you don't mind to reflect this statement above  :)

Players team up/meet up before buying a flag, so they don´t waste too much time of the 1h flag duration with forming a fleet and to give the defenders as little time as possible to form a defending fleet.

I´m not against lobbies in general though.

I didn´t vote yet since this poll might be edited.

This seems like an interesting suggestion. I'm on the fence about if it would work well in this game, but allowing everyone to jump into the lobby once the port is reached and the flag planted, and then for the flagcarrier or whoever lead the assault to be allowed to select who actually gets into the battle seems like a nice idea. Of course this would increase the importance of being in a well connected and port battle oriented clan, but that is a good thing in my view. It would give well organised groups of players the opportunity to utilize this advantage without being sabotaged or accidentally blocked by randoms so easily. 

Someone will always feel left out and slighted of course, but clans could rotate and organise to remedy this and keep their players happy.

We definitely need it as well as attacker/defender map where all players can see and plan their attack. Potbs style room with player avatar icons and voice chat. Trade enabled. 

In case you're being sarcastic, I brought this topic up because of the tactical n' organizational possibilities a lobby map could provide not because it was in POTBS  :(

I'm not at all suggesting to blindly copy/paste whatever we have seen in potbs.. It is up to the flag buyer if he wants to make use of the lobby or just skip it and I am not even sure if a lobby would make much sense in NA after all..

I really have no real agenda here and simply brought the lobby thing up because playing admiral/ high command is fun for some people and would add more brain to the game as far as I see it..

However, you could also argue that having no lobby at all makes the game more difficult. The initiators of an attack would be forced to organize an attack on their own without any tools provided by the game. Being able to control chaos requires a level of skill which a lobby tool would negate, hence make the game easier! 

I apologize if I have misinterpreted your comment, though. xD

Edited by BACk ALLEY ShENANiGANS