Game-Labs Forum

Battle Entry Timer really is too short

I know that we are trying to cut down on "ganking" and things like that, but I know I'm not the only one who thinks that the battle entry timer is way too short. Unless you are right there when the battle starts you have no hope of getting in. It's what, 2 minutes now? I don't think it should be unlimited, but it ought to be a little higher, say 5 minutes.

• Like 2

Many timer lengths have been tried. As far as I'm concerned I like 2 mins the best. You say that unless you are right on top of the battle you can't get in. That's the point. I think it's good as is.

• Like 3

I know that we are trying to cut down on "ganking" and things like that, but I know I'm not the only one who thinks that the battle entry timer is way too short. Unless you are right there when the battle starts you have no hope of getting in. It's what, 2 minutes now? I don't think it should be unlimited, but it ought to be a little higher, say 5 minutes.

You don't know what torment you are asking for to be unleashed. 

• Like 4

It really is not though, if anything i'd prefer a 1-1(1/2) min timer so that nothing can get to your battle that wasn't in the view range, as stated above in previous iterations we've tested multiple different systems this 2 minute timer is the best so far.

• Like 1

Well i´d like to have it some longer, since if you sail alone say to a port from where a port attack will be started and you run into pirates f.e. you´re fucked if you´re outnumbered. Cause till you can call same near help the battle timer is already closed.

The Battle timer is to Long. If they hide in a Port/battle Screen they are still able to gank you. Since invis and invu is around 60 seconds the battle timer should only be 60 s.

Ist quite easy to join a battle if you are in a Group and if you get attack near a port and no one want to help you within 2 minutes you Nation are those to blame. If you are to far away/behin your Group so they can't help you, you are the one to blame

Longer timers means larger battles - reinforcements - unpredictable results

Shorter timers means smaller battles/skirmishes - no reinforcements - predictable results

Its all about perception. I liked the 5 min timers a lot more... it made everything more exciting and dangerous... 

Edited by fox2run
  • Like 2

Longer timers means larger battles - reinforcements - unpredictable results

ganking possibilty and players which fit got in groups has a higher disadvantage

Shorter timers means smaller battles/skirmishes - no reinforcements - predictable results

not true, reinforcments available for 2 min, so it stay as in your "linger timer" Statement

Its all about perception. I liked the 5 min timers a lot more... it made everything more exciting and dangerous...

it made everything more boring and save for carebears since they can help for ages

The 5 minute timer made "invisible" ambushes so easy it was totally exploitable ...without anyone being able to help the poor dastard.

I dont get this. It is easier to aid a distress-call if you have longer time to response, no?

I dont get this. It is easier to aid a distress-call if you have longer time to response, no?

We had 5 minutes.

During 4 minutes and 30 seconds you are 1v1 and you have the bigger ship. You going to cry HELP ?

Suddenly 5 more warp in ( invisibility and invulnerability timer ) and battle closes and no one will help - Please donate your 1st rate to the cause, thank you.

It was like this.

NOW you pay attention to the surroundings and possibility for this to happen is way way way lower.

Flotilla attacks will still happen.

• Like 1

...we will never agree on this, Sir. Im insulted by your rude manners and demands satisfaction. My civilized conduct leaves me with the only option left, however. I therefore hand over the choice of ship-type of our forthcoming duel to you, as I consider an apology for these wild theories of yours as unlikely as your will to adopt reason and enlightment.

Regards

fox2run

Edited by fox2run

Duel accepted. I defer the guns complement choice to you given we shall be using a Privateer.

On the thread note, the 5 minutes for all its pros has some serious loopholes and that's why a compromise was introduced without resorting to over extended invulnerability timers.

Both OW battle timer and OW invisibility/invulnerability timers are intimately connected.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this works both ways. It is easier to jump out of port and sail to someone's aid but at the same time it is also easier to exploit sitting invisible in port/ battle screen, etc and jump into battle/gank started by a bait ship.

Look at it this way - on the open ocean the only ship able to aid a distress call was one that happened to sailing nearby and see your sails on the horizon. That is what the 2 minute timer represents. You may need to adjust your tactics - one can certainly have a large battle on the open seas the fleet will just have to sail closer together - in formation it you will just like fleets in the time period. Frigates can scout ahead to spot the enemy fleet. If you sail independently as a pirate or privateer looking for traders you can chase one while scanning the horizon for enemy warships without fear that a fleet will be joining the battle from a port 200 miles away.

IMO the timer promotes a type of game play that you may not like, but is more representative of naval warfare of the age of sail.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP.

Unfortunately, 2 mins just isn't long enough. Even if you are close to the battle, the amount of times I've gotten to the outside of the circle only for it to close is plenty.

With that said, with positional reinforcements, 5 mins would give players even more time to 'pick their spot'. As it stands, with two mins, if you're lucky enough to get their in time, often you don't have enough time to sail to the other side of the circle.

So yes, up the time to 5 mins, but only when positional reinforcements are removed.

Any word on positional reinforcements admin?  Last word I heard is you guys had the stats required to work on a solution.

Which includes the Devs.

I'm working on finding a suitable privateer so this endless discussion can be closed for good. 

We can meet outside Ile La Vache. It is possible to bring up to 48 spectators under a flag of truce. Prepare your crew for a last voyage under the malfunct 2 min timer, Sir!