Game-Labs Forum

Ideas for authentic Pirates - Questions to you all

Dear Devs,

I like and love the game in its status. Because of its working progress, I want to give you my feedback. I play Pirate.

In every game, where a Pirate system is able to be played, i love to do so. And yes, I joined Pirates in NA aswell. But I didnt know, that they are a Nation - which is a totaly wrong understanding of what pirate was in the 16th to 18th century. If someone had told me before, that I can choose the "Nation" Pirate, I were joined france frist, scam all the Clans and players, kill some friendly mates and become pirate then. Because this is, what pirates did in those centuires. They never fight to own a harbour. They fight harbours to own more stuff.

So here are my points:

1) Pirates shouldnt be able to own Ports. They only should be able to "raid" them for getting stuff out of it. Only 1-3 Hideouts which are only shown on Pirates map, should be owned by pirates. Not more not less. Because being a pirate is kind of a political statement. ATM Pirates are "friendly" to each other because they have to. This is FAAAAAAr away of beeing authentic. So here is the Idea: No Port Capture or battle for owned ports.

2) Be a Pirate : When I capture a ship from e.g. the Great Britains, I will steal the Flag and sail under my new fake flag. As long as i dont attack anyone - to get somethings like a criminal timer and be detected as "fake" Great Britain - i should be able to use every port / facility / chat or more from the Nation, i fake to sail for. Only when i get criminal flagged and or get killed, the flag should be gone.

3) Pirates should not be able to craft ships. They can dock at every harbour (fake flag at Point 2 explains why) and they can buy ships there or get into "deals" with clans of any nations to get ships. Also they should focus in raiding fleeds and capture ships. But Pirates should be able to upgrade or optimize their ships. e.g. enhance Speed and crew, better boarding abilities for fast travel Boardings at 6kn or something similar. Pirate ships should be a very scary thing in open world fights. And i dont mean, that they should be tanky or overpowered. They only need to have things, which nation ships dont have.

4) Turning into "Pirate" should be a penalty for players. So they should be thrown out of their "safed" life in a 150 member clan into a deep community of ugly, angry and beard people who kill each other for no reason, when the rum rations ran out. Learn how to sail, steal, fake flag, keeping morales up and get away with slaves / captured ships should be horrible hard for a normal player. But this should be all, what pirates should be able to do. Sitting in MT to craft things is dumb. No Pirate of our history books ever sit in a port and craft a plank for a ship. They all raid a port and take those ready build ships and the wife of the guy who crafted it. 

5) Give pirates some capturing advantage but for. eg. let them be attacked from npc's aswell, when they get a criminal timer. Those timer should be there for 1-2 hours.

6) A Pirate need to learn everything new. Sailing Routes, noone know and all stuff like that. So take away the teleport to capitol function for Pirates.

IMPORTANT: Pirates shouldnt be a Nation as they are atm. They should not have any friends in their own "Pirate faction" expect their Clan or ally mates. They should be able to fake flag. They should not be those pve focused Trader / Crafter / Labor hour seller as atm. Take all of the pirates harbours. Give them Hideouts. I saw so many pirates sailing around, who are no pirates and acting like Nation People... Organize political Port capturing Situations shouldnt be able... The Pirates atm are by far not authentic. Everyone who dont see this, should go back in the history lesson ;) (no offense)

Added Ideas by other players:

From Hethwill: A successful raid by pirates should blast a city morale ( citizens are simply left to their own designs with the feeling their overlords cannot save them ) and turn it unaligned for a full maintenance cycle [ 1 full day after maintenance the port gets blocked to all actions, no entering the port ], and then returns to nation control as normal.

Edited by tiggily
  • Like 17

PIRATES REVISED

-Pirates first entry into the world should be by way of selecting a nation of origin.

-Pirate missions
 Transport of contraband goods
 Capture of trader ships
 Engage combat vessels
 Privateer missions (government sponsored and assigned)

-Pirates
 Bribes and false papers
 Can only be purchased in neutral ports and are the medium of exchange for
 clandestine products and services.
 Combinations and levels of bribes and false papers would be necessary
 for Pirate missions.
  1 Flags- Pirate flag, National flags.
  2 Bribes- Cargo transport info, False papers.
  3 False papers- For contraband transport missions, False national identities.

-Privateer
*Letter of marque and reprisal
 Government license authorizing a person to attack and capture enemy vessels
 Issued by rear admiral level players purchased with xp gained after
 obtaining Rear Admiral rank.
 Privateers will be given letters of mark and reprisal, Given a ship for their
 missions and gold for expenses.

-Pirate reputation scale by nation
 -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3
3 Very good reputation (Privateer loyal to national identity willing
  to do what
  it takes to confound and deter their nations enemies)  
2 Good (reputation loyal to national identity and interests)
1 Fair (Sails under national flag only supportive in common interests)
0 Neutral
-1 Shady reputation (not trustworthy)
-2 Criminal reputation (know criminal)
-3 Nefarious criminal (Well known organized criminal)

• Like 8

These ideas sound like real pirating. No nation, no loyalty. Some designated islands for bases of operation like Nassau or Tortuga. This could lead to a smuggler/fence type character. Buy from the rats and sell to the nats. Pirates should be able to have more crew in their ships since boarding is the preferred tactic. Instead of Glorious Marines, there should be a pirate badass mod. And yes, port raids. I would like to see privateer mechanics to. Rats used schooners a lot so we should have big schooners in game that can hold 150 men. 

• Like 1

Don't let a flag on ones stern determine if a player is a pirate or a national, but let the players own name and renown be the only clue to what allegiance that player holds. Each individual player should be able to build his/her own reputation in this game.

One does not need special pirate mechanics. One needs the ability to fly every flag he/she wants and let other players determine if he/she is worthy to sail among them. It should all be a players choice during their career to fly whatever flag they want and it should be every other players choice to perceive that choice to its own merits.

We don't need special rules for anyone group, we need a game mechanic that allows players to play however and what they want within this sandbox and may their reputation of their name alone proceed them.

• Like 2

lets apply same realism to other nations also

so 

1) Usa should not have any first rate since in the period the game is based they not owned any first

2) No russian ships

3) All minor nation like swedish etc cant have first rate 

4) Santi only used if you are spanish

etc etc other non-sense

IS A GAME  , so talking about historical accuracy when you have multiple dur ships is rethoric.    You either apply same historical accuracy to all or to none.

Pirates are the 2nd biggest community in game, nerf them to oblivion for the sake of being historical accurate and the game is dead since you lose a good 30-40% of the pop

so 

1) Usa should not have any first rate since in the period the game is based they not owned any first

2) No russian ships

etc etc other non-sense

IS A GAME  , so talking about historical accuracy when you have multiple dur ships is rethoric.    You either apply same historical accuracy to all or to none.

Pirates are the 2nd biggest community in game, nerf them to oblivion for the sake of being historical accurate and the game is dead since you lose a good 30-40% of the pop

I'd say they're getting a pretty good nerfing already.  The hammer and anvil being applied by the US and Britain must be really hurting at the moment.

The devs supposedly have something planned for the pirates already, if true, it'll be a wait and see thing.

Edited by Haratik

i also believe pirates can only capture ships like (not higher then) normal frigates 

pirates never sailed marine sol ships 

so pavels and santi are a no go area for pirates

they did not even build ships they only stole them

so pirates in my opinion are a restricted nation as a hole

historically seen you could ask yourself the question >did they have a admiralty to sent ships to >the answer is NO.

Edited by Thonys

Don't let a flag on ones stern determine if a player is a pirate or a national, but let the players own name and renown be the only clue to what allegiance that player holds. Each individual player should be able to build his/her own reputation in this game.

One does not need special pirate mechanics. One needs the ability to fly every flag he/she wants and let other players determine if he/she is worthy to sail among them. It should all be a players choice during their career to fly whatever flag they want and it should be every other players choice to perceive that choice to its own merits.

We don't need special rules for anyone group, we need a game mechanic that allows players to play however and what they want within this sandbox and may their reputation of their name alone proceed them.

This. Lytse nails it correctly. Even if there is the disguise mechanic the player name must remain somehow, after all if there's something all pirates liked back then was their infamous deeds being known and their name being spoken of.

Despite the OP rework of old ideas posted again there is something that can't be dismissed.

>>>fixed lairs - I was an advocate of this a while ago, but then what will happen when the spots are known and camped all the time ?

>>>crafting - this is where I cannot agree. Nations had issues with building ships in the caribbean, even the RN favoured India for this rather than the West Indies which remained with their local needs with sloops, brigs and similar classes. So best is to give Pirates not crafting but "modification", transforming ships into custom build pirate versions, not open to be traded nor sold and treated like a NPC ship regarding capture. Fair game.

>>> Nothing stops a 150 players, pirates, to work together no matter what you wish. Don't call it a nation. Call it a nightmare.

There are a lot of good ideas floating around being the oldest form the mix of Admiralty Renown and Pirate Infamy.

• Like 2

I see where you are coming from, but mechanics are essential in an MMO to ensure balance and among many other things, to prevent abuse.

I like your idea, that I could play British, attack fellow British players but rather than be moved to the pirate nation upon committing a criminal act against a countryman, I'm allowed to keep my British flag with my fate being determined by other British players who would KOS me.

To allow this to happen, all players would have to be able to attack any other player regardless of nation.  Whilst this is already in place within the Pirate faction, I imagine complete chaos would ensue if it was open to all. I think it would just lead to mass ganking and a toxic community.

This. Lytse nails it correctly. Even if there is the disguise mechanic the player name must remain somehow, after all if there's something all pirates liked back then was their infamous deeds being known and their name being spoken of.

Disguise mechanic wouldn't work at all if players name was still visible. Example, there are a few of us that hunt regularly on the east US coast. Because of this, we are very well known to the US players up there. If they saw Long Beard sailing with a USA flag, it wouldn't fool them for a second.  If a false flag mechanic was introduced (pretty sure admin said it will never happen), then the player flying a false flag would need also a temporary false name.  Even then, it would be difficult to pull off.  For example, say I am sailing a false flag with false name.  Would I be immune from attack? If yes, this would be a VERY abused mechanic. If not, then all a player would have to do is see whether I was attackble or not to determine whether I was flying a false flag.

There are so many mechanics that would make pirates more realistic, but sadly, in an MMO, many of them just wouldn't work.

That's the whole point, Mr. Longbeard. Your reputation aka your name is known enough to get you hunted. It's very authentic, as sailors in the day had a very good knowledge of who was in the area in what ships. I'd be all for the false flag mechanic with the stipulation they introduce an OW telescope that would enable you to give you name/nation info. That way, lazy players are at risk, as are slow traders.

• Like 2

Disguise mechanic wouldn't work at all if players name was still visible. Example, there are a few of us that hunt regularly on the east US coast. Because of this, we are very well known to the US players up there. If they saw Long Beard sailing with a USA flag, it wouldn't fool them for a second.  If a false flag mechanic was introduced (pretty sure admin said it will never happen), then the player flying a false flag would need also a temporary false name.  Even then, it would be difficult to pull off.  For example, say I am sailing a false flag with false name.  Would I be immune from attack? If yes, this would be a VERY abused mechanic. If not, then all a player would have to do is see whether I was attackble or not to determine whether I was flying a false flag.

There are so many mechanics that would make pirates more realistic, but sadly, in an MMO, many of them just wouldn't work.

Hmmm. Maybe scramble the name or similar wordplay and only reveal it to the ships in the circle if an Attack action happens.

In itself a disguise mechanic is challenging, unique for Pirates, and very well worth testing in the future.

Pirates must be unique but NOT in the way everyone wants them to be. I get tired of reading the same arguments and suggestions over and over again aka. no crafting, no conquest, "no nothin' jon snow".

• Like 1

Nations are doing, what Nations did in their days. They try to enhance the political influence and military power of their Nation. But thats the Point: Pirates never did that. NEVER EVER. And there must be a very big gameplay difference between a Nation Player and a Pirate.

When I start playing, the first thing I read in Pirate chat was: "Someone wanna make Fleet Missions?" Second Sentence was: "WTS Labor hour" and the third thing was:"Lets take port xy from the Great Brits". If I would have joined the France, I guess those impressions would be very similar.

But people dont play pirate and get a hard life - as mentioned while choosing Nation. They only join another Nation which is sometimes stronger then other Nations. Pirate missions should not be PvE. There are tons of NPC cruising around. Why is there no mission like "Capture France Trader Snow".

Ask yourself, why a Sailor in the open world should know, that there is a pirate incoming, just by clicking? There is no Pirate flag at my ship in open world. So let me sail as Great Britain, spain or something else to get in fighting range to a foreign trader ship.

Why does Pirates need ports? And even that many? Why should they produce compass wood to sell it for 1.500 in Grand Turk to NPC? They should not have any port as those mentioned hideouts. And the People who love and like the Port battles, are no Pirates in no means. It would be easy to swap them back to any Nation of their wish.

Pirates need no first rates... They didnt capture those ships at all. They go for Trading ships or similar to gain profit, slaves and a new usefull ship. First rates are used for defense reasons. And they are not made of steel. If they are solo traveling, they are very easy to sink.

In my mind, the Pirates need to have a hard life out there but with the chance of a big profit. Also they dont have to be friendly to each other ;) Why should they?

That's the whole point, Mr. Longbeard. Your reputation aka your name is known enough to get you hunted. It's very authentic, as sailors in the day had a very good knowledge of who was in the area in what ships. I'd be all for the false flag mechanic with the stipulation they introduce an OW telescope that would enable you to give you name/nation info. That way, lazy players are at risk, as are slow traders.

Even a simple false flag mechanism would be very interesting. using mostly existing one it could be as simple as 

- Hide "contraband" labels for IA fleets.

- Under a false flag  you cannot initiate combat (with a 1 min countdown?

- When you "tag" (press attack)  national the "contraband"   label appears for IA "contraband" fleets  AND players under false flag

- Players under false flag should not selected national channels, group with nationals, etc..... in short they will still be their real nation/pirate for all other purposes not specified.

- Hide player name to a half/third  the current view distance

- Let pirate(*) change flag anytime 

(*)Or let any player use this , but  only pirates can entry enemy (non regional capital?) ports when using false flag.

Edited by Eishen
  • Like 1

At the moment I am "Pirate Tiggily". WIth my new Flag i should be "France - Tiggily". Hide Player name to a half / third is a very good point. The Countdown before i can attack is also a very nice Idea to keep it balanced.

• Like 1

Tiggily, pirates did have 1st rates and for ten years did challenge the whole european colonial navies and did establish a small "nation". Please refer to Red Flag Fleet.

I do agree with the supression of the construction of ships of the line but NOT because of the reasons you keep posting. The same reasoning can be used for the National Navies and supress them from building anything above a 5th rate at best.

But I digress, let's get back to the point and keep it interesting.

- We are agreeing on one unique point - disguise

- We can discuss a second point - the impossibility of crafting balance through capture and modification: ability to combine durabilites, up to rate limit, with the added pirate specialty of refitting the ships.

1. Pirate shouldnt be able to own Ports : no more crafting materiels to craft ship that lead to point 3.
3. pirate should not able to craft ships : pirate will use 1 duration ship, no more good upgraded( who would like or could really afford to bring very expansive stuff when they can lose everything in 1 battle). Pirate will be condemmed to use basic stuffs when the world is hunting them in gold ship and gold upgraded. This is just another world for nerfeding pirate without really said it.
4."Turning into "Pirate" should be a penalty for players. So they should be thrown out of their "safed" life in a 150 member clan into a deep community of ugly, angry and beard people who kill each other for no reason, when the rum rations ran out"  : historically , during war time all nations were using privateers to capture enemy traders. Then they signed peace treaty, those sailors just became unemployment and rejected by their own nations and turned into pirate. Some people believed that serving under a pirate ship was something very awfull , ugly but the reality was just the opposite, the  crew served under nation used to be oppressed by the captain that was the only master of live and dead before god, he ruled his ship like a monarch ruled his kingdom whilst pirate  were much more democratic, every commun sailor can vote to demote their captain if they judged he was unsuit to the rank. ( exemple Hornigold was deposed as captain of the Mary Anne then elected Bellamy as captain ). I believe the condiction for a simple sailor was much more better on pirate ship than on a royal navy ship.
"IMPORTANT: Pirates shouldnt be a Nation as they are atm. They should not have any friends in their own "Pirate faction" expect their Clan or ally mates. " Again historically Pirates did actually have a fleet and never attacked each other unless in very rare exception of power conflict. The fact was that republic of pirate did exist in Nassau where pirate captains docked to share their loots and experiences.  Blackbeard was later voted by the pirates of Nassau to be their 'Magistrate', to be in command of their 'Republic' and enforce law and order as he saw fit. That s very far from the lawless pirate,  "Everyone who dont see this, should go back in the history lesson" and dont only watch hollywood movie about piracy  (no offense).
The only way british empire can bring the piracy to an end was giving king's pardon to all pirates and  hunt down and capture those pirates who refused to surrender. What would happen if no pirate accept king's pardon insteed they build up their own republic and keep fighting against royal navy, that was we tryed to play in game.
Also this is a game, historically pirate only want to hunt trader ships because only them give profits.  Pirate avoided to fight royal navy as much as possible because  who would like to take a risk in battle with no gain. But this is a game, making pirate only able to hunt trader ships are no fun to play for players that play pirate and forbid them to take part in a big content of the game  if that was you really want to do .

Edited by thp

1. Pirate shouldnt be able to own Ports : no more crafting materiels to craft ship that lead to point 3.

3. pirate should not able to craft ships : pirate will use 1 duration ship, no more good upgraded( who would like or could really afford to bring very expansive stuff when they can lose everything in 1 battle). Pirate will be condemmed to use basic stuffs when the world is hunting them in gold ship and gold upgraded. This is just another world for nerfeding pirate without really said it.

First of all - sorry for my bad english sometimes. Now to your points: Pirates can buy normal ships at every harbour if they can use any mechanic of stealthing themselve. False Flag was an example.

The Republic of Pirates was a small Part in Nassau. For 11 years and not more. Never founded as a Nation. It was some kind of safe harbour for privateers. But it was not state or something similar. Most Pirates from those centuries formed up to syndicates. The so called "Republic of Pirates" just survived 11 years out of more then hundred years with pirate activities.

People who want to play in the - so called - "big content" of this game, can do so in 7 Nations. Pirates should be totaly diffrent to them. And to keep up with your example: The Republic of Pirates didnt fight for Ports somewhere deep in enemy Terretories. They didnt sail with first rates aswell ;) Small fleets against Navy frigates could be possible. Thats all.

The Gamestyle of a Pirate should more be like an outlaw. And I am pretty sure, that there are tons of Players like me, who would love to see an outlaw Pirate life in this game. The Base of the game is totaly great to do so. With stolen ships from other players and bought ships from raided gold its a very diffrent gameplay.

Ask yourself: Where is the diffrence between any of the 7 other Nations and the Pirates atm? I counted 2. 1) No Pirate NPC  2) Pirates can attack each other to avoid battles ;) or even raid their mates. ah and even 3) I can buy 1rd anytime in MT.... :( no command ;)

Pls dont get my Ideas about pirate lifestyle wrong. Its not written with a bad mood against the devs because i really love this game and the settings. I just think that those way of playing would enhance the fun and experience for everyone who is playing. Think about a sailing turn, where you dont tab out to look youtube videos, because everyone who is crossing you could be an enemy. It would bring back the heartbeat while hauling tons of trading materials. People who love to be outlaw, can be outlaw just by choosing Pirate.

so 

2) No russian ships

etc etc other non-sense

1) America did have a 1st rate within the time line USS Franklin

2) Russia did have a vast amount of ships in the time period

3) Sweden did have a 1st rate http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4584-konung-karl-108-swedish-1st-rate-1694/

4) This is the only one you are right about, only known 1st rate Spain has is the Santisma

Dont throw out false information and claim its historically accurate

• Like 1

First of all - sorry for my bad english sometimes. Now to your points: Pirates can buy normal ships at every harbour if they can use any mechanic of stealthing themselve. False Flag was an example.

The Republic of Pirates was a small Part in Nassau. For 11 years and not more. Never founded as a Nation. It was some kind of safe harbour for privateers. But it was not state or something similar. Most Pirates from those centuries formed up to syndicates. The so called "Republic of Pirates" just survived 11 years out of more then hundred years with pirate activities.

People who want to play in the - so called - "big content" of this game, can do so in 7 Nations. Pirates should be totaly diffrent to them. And to keep up with your example: The Republic of Pirates didnt fight for Ports somewhere deep in enemy Terretories. They didnt sail with first rates aswell ;) Small fleets against Navy frigates could be possible. Thats all.

The Gamestyle of a Pirate should more be like an outlaw. And I am pretty sure, that there are tons of Players like me, who would love to see an outlaw Pirate life in this game. The Base of the game is totaly great to do so. With stolen ships from other players and bought ships from raided gold its a very diffrent gameplay.

Ask yourself: Where is the diffrence between any of the 7 other Nations and the Pirates atm? I counted 2. 1) No Pirate NPC  2) Pirates can attack each other to avoid battles ;) or even raid their mates. ah and even 3) I can buy 1rd anytime in MT.... :( no command ;)

Pls dont get my Ideas about pirate lifestyle wrong. Its not written with a bad mood against the devs because i really love this game and the settings. I just think that those way of playing would enhance the fun and experience for everyone who is playing. Think about a sailing turn, where you dont tab out to look youtube videos, because everyone who is crossing you could be an enemy. It would bring back the heartbeat while hauling tons of trading materials. People who love to be outlaw, can be outlaw just by choosing Pirate.

Henry Morgan, Francis Drake  (in the caraibe)  and many other pirates over the world did capture ports if you care to make some research. Even Jamaica used to be a pirate bay before it became British posession. Many of those gentlemen were pirate and then retired from piracy when they were rich enought.

Libertalia( still not sure it exist ) was a possibly fictional colony founded in the late 17th century in Madagascar by pirates under the leadership of Captain James Misson.

Outlaw only meant outlaw of king and country, but some pirates still have their own laws, it s just doesnt work if people live in society without at least some basic  harmony.

If you want to play a lawless pirate that sail in small ships only that's all good for you. You still are free to do it as many other pirates already done. I personally know some of pirate in Black clan exclusively play that way already. But  what you want is forcing all other pirates to play your pirateway because you think that s the ONLY way is kind intolerant and historically not true either.

"Ask yourself: Where is the diffrence between any of the 7 other Nations and the Pirates atm?  " Those national players have nothing in commun with royal navy either if you ask my opinion, they play like pirate but under the name of nations, they are free to do what they want.

I think the developers stated something before like  the main difference between national players and pirate was what they fight for. Royal navy fight for king and country whilst pirates fight for gold , rum & whore or what ever they want. Then why cant pirate fight for the ideology republic of pirate ?

Edited by thp

Those ports are more similar to the mentioned hideouts. At the moment Pirates owning more Ports then some Nations. I said they should not be able to capture Ports. Didnt say that there are no Ports which they can use as hideouts.

If I would take your example, then pirates must form a clan and capture a port for that clan only. Then they can keep it as long as they can defend it. Because those mentioned examples everytime started with a bunch of privateers or even pirates.

"Pirates" are lawless. They formed up groups and wrote down their own laws. Those laws never count for every pirate. And sailing small ships isnt really true. A Pirate Frigate is a big "enough" ship to capture mosty everything interested out there. Also you can easily kite and kill Constitutions and others. The way u describe seems a bit intolerant aswell btw.. There was a Republic of Pirates, Brethren of the Coast and much more similar "Clans". But those clans stands for themselve and not all pirates in the whole world. In Naval Action, all Pirates are together. One big bunch of people sailing under the "Nation of Pirate" Flag and capturing / defend ports in the same size as spain, Great Britain or France. Those scenarios never happend in real life.

So my question again: Why is the pirate way so similar to nation way.

BTW: To setup a Shipyard in these days and craft mentionable ships took ages. Build up trading routes and crafting facilities aswell. When we go back to the Republic of Pirates, which lasts 11 years, they could never manage to build up a high trading and crafting influence. In Naval Action the Pirates are real trading and crafting gods. A thing which you can perform in every nation. There is no need to make it that similar.

I want to give some nice Ideas and not to break gameplay. Who ever want to play big ship boredom and trading simulation, could do this in 7 other existing Nations. So it should be fair, if there is another way of gameplay in Naval action aswell, isnt it? That is not really intolerant. To say: "But some pirates like it" and because of this you create Nation number 8 with a totaly similar way of play, then this is intolerant.

Think about some creative Ideas for a Pirate way of life. The thread is called "Ideas for authentic Pirates", not "Force Pirates to play diffrent". Think about a modified captured Trinc with more crew and the posibility of capturing while at 6kn or so. Just as an idea. Hull should be weak because of higher speed and turn rate. You can capture ships pretty easy but also can sink easy when u mess with the wrong people. It would bring a bit more dynamic fights in the game and also those Pirates could play the real Pirate way a bit better and the crafter / trader are in the correct Nation to do so.

Upgrade for Pirates: Fusil Boucanier.

Similar to a Fowler, very long barrel. Was primarily used to aim at the key positions: helmsman, rig master, master, officers, prior to the boarding.