Game-Labs Forum

Ship role, comparisons of vessels and wind strength

Its an old maturin proposal and we might have time to consider implementing it.

Wind strength was important in the age of sail

In the very strong wind frigate could be slower than any slowest line ship

In the very light wind any brig could sail faster than trincomalee at any angle

To make all ships valuable global wind strength can be implemented as server weather condition 

• Wind strength will change over time and captains will be able to see the weather projection for a couple of days ahead in the lobby
  • If light winds are coming there is no point to sail a heavy frigate - well there is a point but you won't be able to catch anyone because any brig will be faster.
  • In heavy winds ships of the line will be faster than frigates 

Speed will become a lesser factor and captain will need to adjust and pick more weatherly ships which can universally sail in varied wind conditions. It will allow to differentiate ships more and make unpopular ships - more popular

(another gameplay related thing is to remove chasers from all ships ;) or add them to all ships (even if they don't exist on the model)

additional proposals on differentiating ships are

• compacting hp (ships were not so relatively weak and redoubtable was able to withstand fire from 3 british lineships with no problem)
  • increasing roles of critical damage and hits
  • much stronger ability of the broadside to tank damage.
  • Like 37

I like this, as said will change popularity of ships overall, and in certain weather conditions. As long as we stay away from no wind at all, i think this would be good.

On the side note of chasers, personally id prefer no chasers and have instead of tagging have distance based leaving(like NPC traders work)

• Like 3

Is this only for OS? Will heavy winds make sure SOL go from point A to point B in x2 speed compared to today OS speeds?

I like it. Check weather, set up ship and go hunt. or Check weather and schedule Port Attack knowing Line ships will get there fast. Enemy on the other hand can predict attacks based on weather conditions. 

Is this only for OS? Will heavy winds make sure SOL go from point A to point B in x2 speed compared to today OS speeds?

I like it. Check weather, set up ship and go hunt. or Check weather and schedule Port Attack knowing Line ships will get there fast. Enemy on the other hand can predict attacks based on weather conditions. 

both for os and battle

• Like 5

both for os and battle

How long will it stay?  A Day or an hour? If players got Lineships and sail with heavy winds, got in the battle. If battle takes long time, will it transition to normal winds or stay Heavy all the time? 

Overall this is great, in Port battles weather can turn if favor of a loosing team with frigates and beat attacker at last moment. You never know what can happen and this is very cool realistic feature. 

Please don't remove chasers or add chasers to all ships. The benefit of a snow, for example, is its chasers. If it had no chasers or all other ships had chasers, there would be no reason to sail it.

Wind strength sounds cool but will make the game more complex. Keep it simple, keep as is.

• Like 7

Most ships were capable of having chasers.  Maybe not permanently, but very often a smaller gun could be moved and fired from the bows, through a stern light, etc.

I think chasers should be an all or nothing kind of thing.  If there are "no" chasers permanently equipped in a ship, one 4lb medium in the bow and stern could be used (even if not in the model).

• Like 11

Most ships were capable of having chasers.  Maybe not permanently, but very often a smaller gun could be moved and fired from the bows, through a stern light, etc.

I think chasers should be an all or nothing kind of thing.  If there are "no" chasers, 4lb mediums could be equipped (even if not in the model).

I think crew can roll out 6lb long gun on bow and use it. 

• Like 1

• Wind strength will change over time and captains will be able to see the weather projection for a couple of days ahead in the lobby

There should always be some variability.  It should never be possible to predict the weather  with 100% certainty.  Perhaps for the next 24hrs forecasts could be more accurate but there should be some chance that the day after tomorrow the wind may change.

• Like 3

(another gameplay related thing is to remove chasers from all ships ;) or add them to all ships (even if they don't exist on the model)

why?

Chasers or lack there of add to the diversity of ships in game.  Removing them or adding them to all boats seems like the opposite of what you are trying to do.

• Like 5

why?

Chasers or lack there of add to the diversity of ships in game.  Removing them or adding them to all boats seems like the opposite of what you are trying to do.

If I sail in Heavy winds and have chasers on my 2nd, I will catch your Frigate :D. You better check weather before sailing, unless you want to get ganked by a 2nd rate. Some ships will have better speed and maneuver than others based on weather, so it will make every ship unique. All will pick their style of sailing and fighting. 

I feel it's time for Xebecs!

• Like 2

I like the general idea but adding/removing chaser certainly removes interesting aspect of the game. It is always good to implement some variety in ship design and chasers/bows were always a thing to consider when choosing tactics ingame.

• Like 1

I like the general idea but adding/removing chaser certainly removes interesting aspect of the game. It is always good to implement some variety in ship design and chasers/bows were always a thing to consider when choosing tactics ingame.

Why not let people use their favorite ship with chasers in pvp under right weather condition. I like my boat , but now it doesn't have chasers, so I am forced to take some other one I don't enjoy sailing. Why:?

• Like 3

I totally like the idea of different wind strenghts (would be a realism-based mechanic capable to give a role to different ships) :) !! About chasers I would say to respect realism/history of ships as much as it is possible: I disagree about removing or adding them to all ships, but could be cool to change how to keep ships engaged in instances: a distance-based system would be better and maybe less "gamey".

Edited by Red Jack Walker
  • Like 5

I totally like the idea of different wind strenghts (would be a realism-based mechanic capable to give a role to different ships) :) !! About chasers I would say to respect realism/history of ships as much as it is possible: I disagree about removing or adding them to all ships but (in that case), please change how to keep ships engaged in instances: a distance-based system would be better and maybe less "gamey".

History states - Captains used chasers when they needed them.

Bow chasers could be regular guns brought up from the gundeck and aimed through specially cut-out ports on either side of the bowsprit, or dedicated weapons made with an unusually long bore and a relatively light ball, and mounted in the bow. Stern chasers could also be improvised, or left permanently in the cabins at the stern, covered up and used as part of the furniture.

In the Age of Sail, shiphandling had been brought to a high art, and chases frequently lasted for hours or sometimes days, as each crew fine-tuned theirsails to take advantage of small variations in the wind. A single lucky shot could cut through a critical line, or cause a sail to split if the wind was strong, so if the ships were within range, the best gunners on each would use their chasers to make carefully aimed and timed shots at the other.

• Like 7

Please don't remove chasers or add chasers to all ships. The benefit of a snow, for example, is its chasers. If it had no chasers or all other ships had chasers, there would be no reason to sail it.

Yep i do not think getting rid of all chasers or giving them to anybody would be a good thing. Actually they give variety and sometimes incentive to pick "that ship" over another who have best stats...without the chasers. But i am all for the removal of them from a particular ship when balance is really needed. When such a ship for example become "way too much useful" because of them. I see one in my head...

Wind strength would be a welcoming addition. As long as you do not implement null wind (please...no !).

Yep i do not think getting rid of all chasers or giving them to anybody would be a good thing. Actually they give variety and sometimes incentive to pick "that ship" over another who have best stats...without the chasers. But i am all for the removal of them from a particular ship when balance is really needed. When such a ship for example become "way too much useful" because of them. I see one in my head...

Wind strength would be a welcoming addition. As long as you do not implement null wind (please...no !).

They restrict pvp ships. By adding them to all ships we open doors to new adventures. 

Here is my suggestion:

- To mount Chaser guns it takes time, 2 mins let's say. (Once moved it's permanent during battle).

- Loose 2 guns from actual Gundeck

• Like 4

Why not let people use their favorite ship with chasers in pvp under right weather condition. I like my boat , but now it doesn't have chasers, so I am forced to take some other one I don't enjoy sailing. Why:?

Because if you like a ship you should play to it's strenght points. I too have some ships that I loved to sail and they didn't have chasers. I see no problem with that. Adding chasers for everyone won't increase diversity. Now we have to make some interesting choices, but when all ships of given class will have chasers (or will be lacking) it will make some ships that normally were attractive mainly because of their chasers, less useful.

For example why should I chose Frigate over Belle Poule? 

Edited by Wyspa
  • Like 4

I love the idea, I think people have been begging for a change like this for a long time, I have a few questions though.

1.) Will these be huge differences in speed depending on wind? Or will it be more subtle like 10-20% so that you might still have a chance if you are in a fir, speed fitted renommee and against a live oak, tanky santissima in a heavy wind?

2.) Is there any chance of adding trade winds or currents on the open world to make it so that we are more likely to find player traders using known routes that are best for speed? This feature would be awesome when/if player traders had to physically sail with the goods compared to teleporting!

3.) When you say that we can see the changes coming days ahead of time, is that the ingame day?

4.) Will this affect port battle wind? 

• Like 1

History states Captains used chasers when they needed them.

Bow chasers could be regular guns brought up from the gundeck and aimed through specially cut-out ports on either side of the bowsprit, or dedicated weapons made with an unusually long bore and a relatively light ball, and mounted in the bow. Stern chasers could also be improvised, or left permanently in the cabins at the stern, covered up and used as part of the furniture.

In the Age of Sail, shiphandling had been brought to a high art, and chases frequently lasted for hours or sometimes days, as each crew fine-tuned theirsails to take advantage of small variations in the wind. A single lucky shot could cut through a critical line, or cause a sail to split if the wind was strong, so if the ships were within range, the best gunners on each would use their chasers to make carefully aimed and timed shots at the other.

Thank you for your clarification, Wind :) . I would like to see implemented such a customization opportunity in game.

Because if you like a ship you should play to it's strenght points. I too have some ships that I loved to sail and they didn't have chasers. I see no problem with that. Adding chasers for everyone won't increase diversity. Now we have to make some interesting choices, but when all ships of give class will have chasers (or will be lacking) it will make some ships that normally were attractive mainly because of their chasers, less useful.

For example why should I chose Frigate over Belle Poule? 

But, if I like pvp and a ship I am sailing, but I can't chase people, what is the point of even having this ship in the game? I want to modify it to be able to use as I want. Take example of Black Beard. Real facts and history. 

Please leave chasers untouched, if a ship can mount them then they should have them. I'd rather see a different tagging mechanic implemented. In particular faster ships should be able to catch the enemy without the constant need to tag sails.

As for the wind idea I love it.

• Like 8