Game-Labs Forum

[WIP] Leeuwenhorst/Edam, 56-gun Dutch SOL (1742)

Wicked Mouse

With the lack of Dutch ships in the game, I decided to attempt one myself that could potentially be useful. Don't expect wonders (in terms of speed and pretty renders) coming from me, it's all hobby work, but I'll try my best at it :) I'm working off of this scan of the ships Leeuwenhorst (named after an area in the former province of Holland, now Zuid Holland) and Edam (named after a small fishing village). There's little I could find about these ships, so this drawing is all I can work from. I chose to make this ship, because for one the size (4th rate) and secondly the typical Dutch stern that was apparently common design pre-Batavian Republic (when France conquered the Dutch republic in 1795). Similar designs can be found on the 3rd rate Stadt En Lande, and the frigate Eendracht, for example.

Here's a first concept:

8SUWqzc.jpg

• Like 12

Thanks, guys :) Boyancy is a problem the devs have to deal with, not me. I just build it like it is :D But the big low belly are generally a dead giveaway that the ship is shallow draft.

Here's some more detail on the stern windows:

zdvq9qF.jpg

• Like 2

Tis a good start, i would definetely love her in the game,

Keep in mind that it is not a normal frigate. its a dutch so it has a low draft not a deep draft. 

but good work

Well she isnt a frigate, she is a 4th rate ship of the line

Question, are you aiming to keep her within poly limit of the game, or are you going all out in the design of this one? :)

Trying to stay within limits as much as possible in order to be able to possibly pay a contribution and see it in game. No guarantees of course :)

• Like 1

Trying to stay within limits as much as possible in order to be able to possibly pay a contribution and see it in game. No guarantees of course :)

Wait, was some limit posted somewhere? I think I still have my Pheonix waiting to be finished somewhere :3

When is she coming in I love it already??

No, idea. Even when it's finished and sent to the devs it could take a long time before it makes an appearance in the game, if it would be accepted at all :)

Any experts of the early 18th century Dutch ship designs know if this is the way the oriel is meant to be shaped? I've shaped it according to the drawing viewed abeam, but not entirely sure about its final shape.

ed4Rv0S.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful ship, would love to see it in the game.

Not sure if the devs would consider it :) I have zero communication with them, let alone the person who handles importing ships.

Anyway, I've been working on it a bit off and on. I've noticed some ship models having the windows close to the hull made of wood, instead of glass. Probably because some hull structure is behind it anyway, or just save on some costs. Some ship models didn't appear to have it, while others only the windows most to the rear were with glass. Either way, I decided to make the first windows 'solid':

Q5tdbL3.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I haven't worked an awful lot on it since then, I'm afraid. Been distracted with other stuff, like a part-time job. And I feel a little uneasy on how I should model it (both because of little info about the bow and inner parts, and the how-to guidelines from the devs). Don't know if they would actually want to get this one in the game.

• 1 month later...

There's very little to find about the ship(s) unfortunately. When trying to search for it, I can only find that drawing in our national archive, and mentions of the ships in documentation/books from the Brits about Sir John Balchen encountering the Dutch who joined the British, telling that the ships carried 54 guns (probably not counting stern chasers), like here, here and here. Apparently Leeuwenhorst was commanded by Rear-Admiral Reynst, and Edam by captain Fransel/Frensel or Vice-Admiral Schryver (1744). Also found a Dutch book mentioning the same history.

From the 1660's we got data that ships around the 50-60 gun mark carried a variety of gun calibers. Depending on the wealth and availability of their admiralty, it would vary between 18-12-6 and 12-8-6. Nearing the turn of the century you see that the armament of 50-60 gun ships improves to a consistent 18-12-8 or 18-8-6. Gradually into the first half of the 18th 8lb on the upper is lost, and i find no mention of ships carrying less than 12's. Just as 8lb becomes standard on the fc&qd.

Somewhere during the 18th, aprox 50's to 60's, 24lb become the main battery to carry into combat.

I think it would be in line with reference data to estimate her armament on 18-12-8.

• Like 1