Game-Labs Forum

Suggestion For PVE, possible end-game and an interactive open world with pirates.

My idea is a pretty complex one but it's one that'd make life on the PVE server pretty interesting, keep in mind, this is an idea for the PVE server, for those that want this to be applied to the PVP server changed would have to be made to my idea, but it goes as followed.

The Pirate Nation: On the PVE server, there aren't many who play pirates as of yet, why not make this an NPC nation, make them the big nemesis of the seas for the PVE server with big AI fleets that roam, and attack people, occasionally even when those fleets are big enough, attack ports. It gives everyone on the PVE server a chance to experience massive port-battles. 

Pirates could capture our ports, we could capture theirs, and it's still PVE seeing the pirates would be AI enemies. we've already seen that the AI in this game is very advanced so actually implementing this sort of NPC behaviour shouldn't be hard at all. 

Not only does this give everyone on the PVE server an incentive to be active at the later levels because right now let's be honest once you get into your shiny victory there isn't -that- much to do. It actively gives Conquest as a possibility for the PVE server. Of course one or two pirate ports would have to be protected from being captured so the nation couldn't be completely wiped out and according to the NR. of players online there would have to be a comparable amount of pirates, maybe not 1:1 but 3:1. a pirate for every three people online, when you then look at several hundred people online on our PVE server it's quite plausible that there's pirate fleets around large enough to attack smaller ports, which we then have to go and defend, or re-capture, as well as the other way around, assembling a group of people to go attack pirate ports would force the AI pirates to congregate at these ports, and would again lead to some proper fun end-game content and large-scale sea-battles, as well as decent rewards for all who participate.

Now, as you can probably guess by this part in the article, what about the few players that -do- play the pirate faction, we could simply give them a several week-long notice to move to another nation of their choice and allow them to keep their rank/items/ships. They of course wouldn't lose anything, wouldn't be fair.

How would this influence the open world itself.

Well, as we all know, Pirates are Marauders by nature, they roam in little packs, or by themselves, ambushing little ship convoys, or traders.

As a trader ship, you would have to try to run away from these pirates, or combat them, depending on which trader ship you're in this might be mildly hard, to quite hard.  and it'd add a challenge to trading, because right now it's just sail to a port, pick up your goods, and sail off again with barely any danger.

And yes, for some traders it'd be hard but, Take the Gros-ventre for example. 250 men, twenty guns. an exceptional one rigged to defend boarding attacks will make it nearly impossible to capture it, where anything that could capture it, it would simply out-run. it'd give the smaller traders an incentive to team-up, or hire their own little NPc fleets as you can do at lower ranks.

Of course this is prone to balancing, it wouldn't be fun to be in a trader lynx and have 3 frigates jump you, as a result I suggest a very simple aggro system. that goes as followed. Depending on enemy ship, VS your ship, you both get a rating of 1-10. where 10 meaning they will chase you and try to engage combat, and 1 meaning they couldn't care less if you had nude ladies standing atop of your deck. and how this would be calculated depends on your ship tier/class/cargo capacity, and what the pirate AI is sailing, for example, if a single pirate frigate sees a lone Gross-ventre the aggro-rating would be quite high, for the frigate its a juicy trader target, and from the trader's PoV it's something they can defend themselves against. 

But imagine an open world and game environment where all of this would be implemented. you could do something new every day without ever really running out of things to do, because everyone one could do on the PVP server one could now do on PVE. and let's admit it, there's a lot of us that want a taste of PVP without the full-life of it and with this I mean sailing a little frigate and having 25 third rates chasing you just cause they can, no, I mean the end-game action such as port battles, and cooperating trade-missions with fellow players. sounds pretty good, no? 

Any feedback on this idea is welcome, and thanks for reading this frankly, huge post.

~Nelgatha.

• Like 13

PvE server is such a desert that it doesn't make any sense for the devs to single it out for upgrade.

It's plenty active. And bringing in such an update will make it even more active, as well as this update can be applied to any server that needs more AI activity, with minor changes, of course.

Edited by Nelgatha

For me, im only interested in PVE and I'm kind of expecting that there will be an AI which will make the life on the PVE Server more interesting. I hope that an advanced open world AI for the PVE server is something that is planned. And Nelgatha's idea is worth considering. Strong pirate AI faction seems like the best thing to do.

• Like 1

PvE server is such a desert that it doesn't make any sense for the devs to single it out for upgrade.

That's exactly why the population on this server is going extinct. No content, no fun, no players (I am exagerating, although some players do see it that way). That doesn't mean nothing should be done for PvE content. People know it's an alpha. They come, play a week / month, get bored by the lack of content, and leave. And they will eventually come back 2-3 months later to see how the game improved.

If no improvement is made on PvE side, then the game will lose it's PvE players for good. People will come back 2-3 times, see there has been no improvement for months and will forget about the game. Great new games are released on a regular basis, which makes it even harder to keep your playerbase afloat. Ignoring one part of the population will have bad consequences and devs should not allow this to happen.

But you are free to think that only PvP has the right to voice its opinion, and get improvements/content and that losing PvE playerbase won't affect the game as a whole.

I am up for any kind of PvE content suggestion, thanks to Nelgatha for taking the time to write it down and post it here.

• Like 3

Thank you Nelgatha for your suggestion.  I am for this idea as it gives the players on this server something to do.  I think in order to make it so that the pirates aren't just crushed in one or two days, maybe they should be given a small set of ports (maybe 5 or so of the neutral ports immediately surrounding Mortimer Town) expanding outwards as the nation grows and contracting when it shrinks.  

I think this is a really decent Idea.   Especially if as the game moves towards full release you want to maintain a pve niche.   I like pvp.  I'm an eve bitter vet, but having a healthy mix of playstyles isn't a bad thing.

That's exactly why the population on this server is going extinct. No content, no fun, no players (I am exagerating, although some players do see it that way). That doesn't mean nothing should be done for PvE content. People know it's an alpha. They come, play a week / month, get bored by the lack of content, and leave. And they will eventually come back 2-3 months later to see how the game improved.

If no improvement is made on PvE side, then the game will lose it's PvE players for good. People will come back 2-3 times, see there has been no improvement for months and will forget about the game. Great new games are released on a regular basis, which makes it even harder to keep your playerbase afloat. Ignoring one part of the population will have bad consequences and devs should not allow this to happen.

But you are free to think that only PvP has the right to voice its opinion, and get improvements/content and that losing PvE playerbase won't affect the game as a whole.

I am up for any kind of PvE content suggestion, thanks to Nelgatha for taking the time to write it down and post it here.

You are most welcome, Let's hope enough people like the idea for it to catch the dev's attention.

• Like 1

Instead of removing pirate as playable nation in PVE server let the devs focus on mission system so we get diff type of missions add the all server and that will bring some variety/changes of play style to the game . 

Ummm, NO! I WOULD  NOT like this idea - at all.

I am a Pirate on the PvE.  I have a lot of stuff built up thus far... and constantly grinding to raise my level. I prefer for it not to change at the moment! Why dont you suggest one of the Nationalities go NPC? Say, Spanish. They seem to be chasing my butt most of the time!

Edited by yankyaeger

I am a Pirate on the PvE.  I have a lot of stuff built up thus far... and constantly grinding to raise my level. I prefer for it not to change at the moment! Why dont you suggest one of the Nationalities go NPC? Say, Spanish. They seem to be chasing my butt most of the time!

Please re-read my idea more carefully, pirates would be given ample time to move their stuff to a new port of choice, they wouldn't lose anything, they would just have to become another nation.

sounds really interesting over all... i was about to suggest that FOR PVE servers, ships bigger than 3rd rate should also be added to the open world, just because of the fact that you mention: why the need for the biggest lineships when the biggest enemy you´ll face is a 3rd rate? we just had talks today in the chat, talking about how we would like - but probably won´t get - to fight for example a Santissima on PvE ... well... 

i´d have suggested to make them not capable, if the devs wanna keep the highend ships crafting only... the AI could just sink/ burn itself if you try to cap it... a practice not rarely done in that age ... *shrug*

fact is, PvE needs more, way more to be attractive, and it certainly would be more popular if things like that were in game...

i support your idea, although i can see quite a few people complain (and probably rightly so), because playing a pirate is probably the incentive for many to play games like this in the first place...

although i´d count myself towards those people, i enjoy playing in a "nation" quite alot and wouldn´t cry too much, if pirates became an NPC faction... i can still be a free booter/ buccaneer after all, role playing ftw  :)
((even more so, if some kind of standing-system were in place, allowing to take contracts from different nations, maybe... what ever :) ))

as he mentioned, pirate players would not lose anything, they just get their stuff transfered over... also, Pirates make alot more sense as an NPC faction than Spain, Denmark or what ever nation... although i understand your concern, his proposal has quite some logic to it...

edit:

maybe the devs could also add the possibility to play an "unaffiliated" captain, who could either contract with a certain nation, or several, or do "piraty" stuff without actually being part of the "pirate nation" or any other for that matter ... combined with a standing system, he then could be friend to a few and foe to many, or vice versa... 

PvE servers could and probably should use a different ruleset than PvP does...

Edited by KittyHawkes

Kitty is right, during this era plenty of captains sailed as neutral privateers either under a letter of marque or under their own flag, not quite pirates, not quite affiliated with a nation, that could work. but I'm glad so many people like my idea.

As for the bigger ship idea, even if they were capturable, a green/grey victory that's capped [and thus without any traits] still wouldn't stand up to the crafted ones, although having the 1st rates crafted only is also still a good idea.

Nel, your using your noodle! I like the the overall concept you've outlined. It is for sure that something needs to be done on the PVE server a conquest game with the conquest element removed seems somehow incomplete.

I have tried to play the PVE server but can't stay with it due to the pace while at the same time I'm getting so burned out with the constant PVP grind on the PVP server. Your idea, or something akin to it could really make the PVE server a fun place to spend time.

I too hope the Dev's read your suggestion.

• Like 1

Nel, your using your noodle! I like the the overall concept you've outlined. It is for sure that something needs to be done on the PVE server a conquest game with the conquest element removed seems somehow incomplete.

I have tried to play the PVE server but can't stay with it due to the pace while at the same time I'm getting so burned out with the constant PVP grind on the PVP server. Your idea, or something akin to it could really make the PVE server a fun place to spend time.

I too hope the Dev's read your suggestion.

Thank you, me too :)

Good idea, but perhaps a hybrid AI/Player Pirate faction would be better? If the faction is under X size, they will get Y amount of the AI assistance you suggested. That would both give a menacing pirate faction at all times, and allow those who play pirate to continue.

Nice idea.

----------

Of course, PvE matters, big market, and if you look at the "spicy" conversation

at the PvP (national news and ingame), many might also like to switch to play

a "quieter" game. Who needs being insulted (f***off, report, oh I did not say anything,

really, why did you report me?) after a working day?

Also, thinking of the start at the PvP-game, the biggest fun part was capturing the first

AI-ships with a group of friends...

----------

As "pirates" are the enemy of all nations by nature it is a good idea.

You could also think of another (new) AI-nation (not played by real players) attacking other nations,

but this would complicate matters. Would open the door for some player-AI-diplomacy, though.

But I think, pirates being agressive Ai,

straightforward approach and makes sense.

+1

+1

+1

Makes me think of creating a PvE-character then...

Edited by Wilson09

Kitty is right, during this era plenty of captains sailed as neutral privateers either under a letter of marque or under their own flag, not quite pirates, not quite affiliated with a nation, that could work. but I'm glad so many people like my idea.

As for the bigger ship idea, even if they were capturable, a green/grey victory that's capped [and thus without any traits] still wouldn't stand up to the crafted ones, although having the 1st rates crafted only is also still a good idea.

1st of all, thanks... i guess we´re more or less on the same page regarding POSSIBLE mechanics for PvE...

2ndly, you´re probably right about captured ships not being competetive with a good crafted one, but i based my statement upon an answer by Ink in the steam forums, where he stated that they didnt want it simply for that reason... but still, i believe there should be possibilites to make us fight the big guys, without compromising the balance/ crafting system/ ship economy ...

although, as i guess you would probably agree, i can´t see that on PvE servers, since i personally take the opportunity to test a ship by capturing one, but for sure would prefere a good crafted one any day... and i guess that´s true to most players *shrug*

i understand that on PvP servers, where the risk to sink is much higher, getting huge ships for free, even if they were worse than crafted ones, would be pretty tempting and cause some issues i guess... but on PvE it´s a whole different matter... you stick to your gold ship for a long while normally, which makes it double atttractive to invest good money in it... how ever, sorry for using your topic for this, but i think that´s something that goes a bit hand in hand with all the "who do we fight and for what reason" thing...

and with the "privateer" bit, i think it´s at least an idea for a compromise between "no playable pirate nation" and still being able to play one, if you so choose... *shrug*

well, i´d really be intersted what thoughts the dev team have so far about stuff like this and/ or similar... just brainstorming, i don´t expect things to be set in stone at this stage of development

Edited by KittyHawkes

• 1 month later...

-UPDATE-

It's been a while since I've made this recomendation now and with recent updates [big AI fleets, epic world missions] it's actually become an even better idea, clearly the scripts for big AI fleets and the tactics they use are there, why not put them to good use to make the PVE side of this game more than just a few ships vs another few ships, I'm sure I'm not the only PVE player that'd love assaulting an NPC port, and let's face it...at least on PVE the population is declining rapidly because the people that have achieved what they want [Max rank, biggest ship, etc etc] have nothing to do.