Game-Labs Forum

Development priorities 2

1,567 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote on the priorities for the next 3-4 content patches

• Hired crew and officers (incl supplying them with provisions, food production and fishing)
    • Overhaul of War & Peace mechanics and national relations, pirate role and national alliances
    • Open world PVE: epic events, more variety of fleets, more missions (incl delivery missions)
    • Arranged PVP: Leaderboards, tournaments, pvp events, duels and ow duel flags, balancer improvements
    • Overhaul of resource distribution, labor hours rework, crafting improvements, exploration for resources

As a new player 3 days into game.. I find the grind of leveling quite boring. Only way to level is doing orders..while all fine and dandy some new missions and variation would be awesome.

Not sure how much more I can take of doing 3 ship battles..to port..oil 3 ship battles..to port...rinse and repeat

If you want to grow your base the higher players are going to have to deal with what they got. Developers should be worrying about how to get players to stick once they start. If they did a special price people would buy..then they would play and with no other missions or other way to gain xp other than doing the same thing over and over they will leave.

No, if you want to play a game in which you are an immediate superstar, then there are arcade games that give you that option.  If you are bored you shouldn't play this game.  If the intent is to grow players who stay and play, then they need to continue to develop depth in the game.  They are doing that on a continual basis, and as it is alpha, there will be a lot more as the months progress.  As Doomed says, there are already a number of things to do in this game, and the list is growing.  If all you want to do is battle, you have the option of going out alone with a class 5 ship and battling, or teaming up with others.  You don't have to grind your way to the top.  And then ask yourself when you are there if you aren't going to be bored then too.  Play an arcade game if that is what you want.

Well I'm quite happy to play alone on the PvE server against the AI. I have never been a lover of multiplayer because there are always those who don't play by the rules and this causes problems for those who just want to play by the rules. Having read through most of this thread, it seems that a lot of people playing as Pirates on the PvP servers are just out to cause havoc. Thank's but no thank's I am enjoying the game as I like playing it, where I can do what I like without interference from those that just want to go around sinking anyone they fancy, just for the sheer fun of it. Yes PvP probably is the best way forward for those that like to play as a group or be part of a clan, but I don't think its for me. Playing alone is what I have always done with any computer game and this game as far as I'm concerned is no different to any other games I enjoy. I enjoy Naval Warfare games and this one is the best so far, regarding the Age of Sail and I am happy with what I have learned so far with the game.

There is still a lot I don't quite understand about this game, especially the crafting side and trading, but I have only been playing just over a week and almost at the rank of Lieutenant Commander I have four ships to my credit. The basic (Fine) Cutter, A Navy Brig, a Trader Brig for treasure hunting and fishing and I have just bought a Trincomallee, ready for when I have acquired enough crew to fully complement it. I have made most of my three quarter of a million gold by fishing and selling fish meat for 99 gold at certain free posts on my travels, and so far have landed lots of bottles, grabbed the booty from the treasure ships and sold a lot of it around the ports of the Carraibean for the best prices. I have caught fllying fish and bull sharks that can fetch 5,000 gold each and I even sold a giant deep sea manta ray for 7500 gold.

I have visited every British port on the map and been to many neutral and free ports on my travels and  I have enjoyed every minute of the game so far. I hope to make the rank of Admiral and own my own Victory in the not to distant future, all through fishing, trading and opening bottles I have landed, just as a challenge. Yes I do occasionally like to do battle with some AI orders which boost my XP points and challenge a few contraband smugglers now and again. It's surprising how the XP mounts up, just by spending time travelling around the map. For anyone who wants a few tips on where the best fishing grounds are, don't fish in shallow waters, you only land small fish, that converts to 1 fish meat portion. if you want the big stuff, that earns more money, you need to be in deep water miles from land. Tuna, Dorminio and Grupper makes the most fish meat portions one Dorminio fish makes 15 portions, Tuna makes 5 portions. They land faster than you can handle in mid ocean.   Don't convert flying fish or bull sharks, these fetch more money, sold individual, but you won't land many of these, they are as rare as hens teeth. you just have to know where to get the best price for them.  My Traders Brigg must be the most travelled ship in NA. Have fun. 

Edited by Billy Budd

No, if you want to play a game in which you are an immediate superstar, then there are arcade games that give you that option. If you are bored you shouldn't play this game. If the intent is to grow players who stay and play, then they need to continue to develop depth in the game. They are doing that on a continual basis, and as it is alpha, there will be a lot more as the months progress. As Doomed says, there are already a number of things to do in this game, and the list is growing. If all you want to do is battle, you have the option of going out alone with a class 5 ship and battling, or teaming up with others. You don't have to grind your way to the top. And then ask yourself when you are there if you aren't going to be bored then too. Play an arcade game if that is what you want.

Looking I hit fleets and OW stuff.. as for pvp have not found any yet.. All I am saying is variation for new people to play.. your rebuttals of go play an arcade game is immature. I enjoy the game and don't have a problem with the pace of leveling up..just want more variation on how to gain xp.

The facts are right there in front of you..people play and don't stay.. I have a feeling it is due to only few ways to get xp in the game.

Looking I hit fleets and OW stuff.. as for pvp have not found any yet.. All I am saying is variation for new people to play.. your rebuttals of go play an arcade game is immature. I enjoy the game and don't have a problem with the pace of leveling up..just want more variation on how to gain xp.

The facts are right there in front of you..people play and don't stay.. I have a feeling it is due to only few ways to get xp in the game.

Take a break from the normal play of the game. Set sail in a trading brig and explore the rest of the map, away from your home port. Do dome fishing and make some easy money and you may be lucky and catch a few bottles. You can then open them and find out the location those treasure ships, which contain some pretty nice goodies, you can either keep, or sell on to make money. At the same time you will also gain XP, for the time spent travelling. It's not all about fighting battles, there are plenty of ways to enjoy this game. It's what you want to get from it, that counts.   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not sure where to put this thought. So i'll just type it here. I have been playing this game a while now I like it, but what I don't like is. You guys are trying to set this game up to be historically correct. Am i wrong on this note? every patch that has come out makes the game a little deeper ,and more to what the real world was like during this period  of history. So with that said this is what i don't like or what i find very strange to this game. The fact that you have Pirates as a faction that can take openly take ports is just crazy to me. None of the pirates in history ever controls main ports and what not they were guys that ganked the little guys on the sea. Few were known for staying around certain towns and controlling the area around it ,but not ever owning a town and stopping the real nations from going into ports with any of the ships they had on hand. In my option you should have the cities if any for the pirates locked and set so they cannot take other locations.

• Like 1

Although I´d love to have a better resources system, with convoy events and stuff, I´d rather have a crew simulation system, with consumption, skill and morale cause after all, the human resource is the single most important factor of naval battle, and currently is the one most undeveloped of all.

Edited by stormridersp

Whats the issue with them ?

The OW battle exit issue is that you get dumped right back into the frying pan if you manage to survive the initial encounter, or the 2nd, or the 3rd... Very glad the devs are planning to have surviving battle defenders automatically escape to the nearest friendly port. I would assume that means either national, allied or free port.

The mission entry issue is that the mission marker stays open in OW for 30 minutes while combat closes instantly.

• This is guaranteed to be a point of frustration to unaware new players and lone wolf types. It ain't all about the clans and gankers. I understand the idea of being able to counter or reinforce hostility generation, but I think it's better served by players/groups spawning their own Combat missions in the region or actively PvP hunting those who have - not gate crashing their missions. 
  • The nail in the coffin for me on leaving it open is the fact that johnny-come-laters effectively "materialize" into the thick of things a-la Star Trek. We argue vehemently against visible ultrafast OW movement, but accept teleporting into a battle instance? I vote for consistency.

Just expressing my preference that these 2 issues get planning and development priority over anything proposed in this poll.

Edited by Angus McGregor

The OW battle exit issue is that you get dumped right back into the frying pan if you manage to survive the initial encounter, or the 2nd, or the 3rd... Very glad the devs are planning to have surviving battle defenders automatically escape to the nearest friendly port. I would assume that means either national, allied or free port.

The mission entry issue is that the mission marker stays open in OW for 30 minutes while combat closes instantly.

• This is guaranteed to be a point of frustration to unaware new players and lone wolf types. It ain't all about the clans and gankers. I understand the idea of being able to counter or reinforce hostility generation, but I think it's better served by players/groups spawning their own Combat missions in the region or actively PvP hunting those who have - not gate crashing their missions.
  • The nail in the coffin for me on leaving it open is the fact that johnny-come-laters effectively "materialize" into the thick of things a-la Star Trek. We argue vehemently against visible ultrafast OW movement, but accept teleporting into a battle instance? I vote for consistency.

Just expressing my preference that these 2 issues get planning and development priority over anything proposed in this poll.

I agree with the first point completely but the second point is asking for ez mode in my opinion.

Pve lovers and grinders can go play pve and not add false numbers to my server and screw up testing for real pvp players. BY letting grinders even do braindead missions all day is a compromised already so by letting those of us acually looking for a challenge be able to find pvp by finding where they hide is ok.

If you want a fight to close faster then either just attacl ai on ow or pvp. WHy is that a bad thing on a pvp server ?

... the second point is asking for ez mode in my opinion.

Pve lovers and grinders can go play pve and not add false numbers to my server and screw up testing for real pvp players. BY letting grinders even do braindead missions all day is a compromised already so by letting those of us acually looking for a challenge be able to find pvp by finding where they hide is ok.

If you want a fight to close faster then either just attacl ai on ow or pvp. WHy is that a bad thing on a pvp server ?

I think PvP and PvE can coexist together if balanced allowances are made for both. The hijacking of the PvE Combat missions for regional (anti) hostility generation was a major loss for the PvE player. If asked I would've argued vehemently against the Combat mission hijacking and asked that a separate category of Hostility missions be added.

Sorry - I guess I should've been clearer on the 2nd point, you seem to misunderstand my objection. It has absolutely nothing to do with PvP or PvE. It is the sheer craziness of having an enemy fleet suddenly beam in/materialize right next to you. If anything, to me you appear to be wanting the EZ mode. Enter the instance at point blank range, start shooting.

IMHO the devs need to either fix how late entries spawn into a combat instance... pull circle distance away on heading where they crossed the 'invisible' pull circle (if they opt in) around the mission marker (major dev effort).

...OR...

close mission instances instantly too (easy for devs). In that case Pvp'rs wanting to fight the combat mission people have to catch them on the way *to* the mission, not land in their lap inside.

I think PvP and PvE can coexist together if balanced allowances are made for both. The hijacking of the PvE Combat missions for regional (anti) hostility generation was a major loss for the PvE player. If asked I would've argued vehemently against the Combat mission hijacking and asked that a separate category of Hostility missions be added.

Sorry - I guess I should've been clearer on the 2nd point, you seem to misunderstand my objection. It has absolutely nothing to do with PvP or PvE. It is the sheer craziness of having an enemy fleet suddenly beam in/materialize right next to you. If anything, to me you appear to be wanting the EZ mode. Enter the instance at point blank range, start shooting.

IMHO the devs need to either fix how late entries spawn into a combat instance... pull circle distance away on heading where they crossed the 'invisible' pull circle (if they opt in) around the mission marker (major dev effort).

...OR...

close mission instances instantly too (easy for devs). In that case Pvp'rs wanting to fight the combat mission people have to catch them on the way *to* the mission, not land in their lap inside.

I understand you wanting to be able to avoid pvp. UNFORTUNATELY i like pvp.

They have two servers, one for pve and one for pvp. I think the more opportunities to make pvp available and easy to obtain is best you do not. Simple disagreement.

The devs have been testing lots of different things do do with missions. Right now missions acually serve a purpose, other than padding your xp or pocket, so if your mission can effect hostility then they deserve to stop it.

At this time if you want care free pve ( on my pvp server) then attacking ai ships locks players out. How is this difficult?

I believe you want the best of both worlds. YOu want to grind free xp , free gold, free drops and mindless safe pve while you to raise hostility. If im wrong then simply attack ai bots right?

The devs are only testing so we both get to voice our opinion. Im only countering your opinion because i acually like pvp.

I think pve server should allow port battles and no open world pvp then all the carebear players who think every move is a gank and everything isnt fair can go play there but still do the one thing they all seem to like and that is the mess of port battles.

All the other TRUE pvp open world real players can play real pvp! I wish the devs would explore this idea. I GAURENTEE this would make everyone happy. Killers and carebear both.

Hello Captains

As we are coming closer and closer to land in battles content patch.

It is our long and valued tradition to give players the opportunity to help us choose the right priorities for the development. 

Previous 2 priorities were delivered to mixed results. Not everyone was happy with the production buildings. Crew management was an exciting addition. 

Please vote on the next priorities for the development and share your concerns if something is missing.

Proposed priorities are in the poll. 

will this be in 1st or third person? since its on land?

• 2 weeks later...

what you really need to do is work on this rookie area trash. 1 sec you are in the rookie and then the next, you are not. you need to make it so that it shows on the map. i was in rookie area with fleet, the next, i get attacked and my fleet is not in battle but their fleet is? what a bad idea. either fix it or better yet, get rid of it. we already have a rookie area for new people to play in, and its called pve! many people have complained that it doesn't work most of the time, and is useless! i am one of those people!!!

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Something i would like to see is a port battle system with slots for ship classes, giving people who sail smaller ships also a chance for competitive play. I know there are shallow ports, but most big fleet battles I'm left out because I prefer to play a frigate and do not intend to race to max rank for the biggest ship. 

I can't imagine there were no frigates in naval battles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_battle_at_the_Battle_of_Trafalgar#British_fleet

even if it are 5 slots per faction this would already be nice. give every class a chance, or make a system the battle is based on points / battle rating (forgot the exact term) instead of the amount of ships. 

example: if you bring bellonas you can bring more then if your team only uses victories. It brings more variety in a battle, more chaos, more tactics.

I do see frigates having a supported role in battle like destroying sails, chasing ships that are trying to escape, targeting crew or something like that.

• Like 3