Game-Labs Forum

Ship crafting restricted for every nation

Having played the game for some time and witnessed some lack of incentives for players to engage in open world PvP (apart from annyoing others or assisting PortBattles), I had some "fancy" idea, either to find out how the community might react to the suggestion or to enhance the PvP-gameplay. Also, I catched up on the idea that every nation should have a certain "feel", making it special and distinguishable to every other nation.

Starting from this page and having looked at the ingame-shipyard (s. attachement)

http://www.kotiposti.net/felipe/England/england.html,

I thought about the topic "ships per nation" (what´s in the game actually, historically).

What happened, if every nation could only CRAFT their respective ships only?

Let´s go through the following list:

All: Basic Cutter, Brig, NavyBrig

France: Rennomee, Belle Poule,

USA: Lynx, Niagara, Constitution

Sweden: Yacht

Denmark (Russia): Mercury, (Cherubim) Frigate, St. Paul, (Ingermanland)

Spain: Santisima Trinidad

Pirates: none (Pirate Frigate)

Dutch: (Amsterdam)

Great Britain: Cutter, Pickle, Snow, Cerberus, Trincomalee, Bellona, Victory

Assuming for now, Pirates will not be allowed to craft (maybe Pirate Frigate and for ALL ships) but refit ships,

crafting national ships (and for ALL ships) only would certainly limit SWEDEN / DUTCH / SPAIN.

Therefore, I´d bring in 1-2 ships for Spain/Dutch, skip Sweden (or Dutch) for now and rename Denmark to Russia (why not? or call it Baltic alliance or whatsoever).

Try to balance things out, finding a compromise and start from here. Skip Sweden and add further nations / spots in the game as buyable DLC (Sweden + ships, or Venice + ships) based on consumer wishes and polls.

If you did that, if you restricted every nation just to a couple of ships (2-3 for ALL and 2-3 extra national ships)

what might happen?

Certainly some nations would be favoured (they have better ships), but as numbers count right now ingame this is not a big factor.

Assuming, I am a French player, I´d certainly fancy going for PvP to catch the famous Victory or another ship.

I´d also made me feel pretty special if I managed to capture an American Constituion.

Why should I have an incentive as a Spanish player to set sails for Dutch waters or even French waters? Because, there is something out there for me, I have never seen before, the well-known Rennomee, supposedly tha fastest ship in the game.

Also, Pirate Raids made a factor now, as Clans have a target now heading for Dutch/French/US waters. It just makes a difference now, if I torment the British or really set sails to blockade Willemstad and bring home 10 special Dutch ships (sounds a bit like Viking raids...).

Also, loosing a special national ship to the enemy would make me really feel bad about...

Yes, war for ressources (as it seems to head that direction), but also war for ships is thinkable...

What do you think?

Any discussions welcome....

post-20927-0-56452100-1458331429_thumb.png

As I said, some minor adjustments needed....I doubt, it is planned by the Devs and I am not sure, if the community

liked the restriction and/or the incentive being associated with....

Edited by Wilson09

Because the original plans could not be found, they are using plans from a Swedish shipbuilder (Chapman), and even though it is named after the ship you sourced, it isn't a Dutch ship.

Edited by Zeekoning

And yes, I am well aware of the ongoing ship-polls....

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/535-player-selected-ship-winter-2014/

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/2994-player-selected-ships-2015-final-poll/page-20

now:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/8340-player-ship-selection-1st-half-2016-final-poll/

A shame, the Swedish WASA did not make it...but maybe this time...?

Just think of the incentive to catch one of those, if you go out as a Pirate limited to nothing but Brig/Pirate Frigate...ofc,

the problem would be to balance it.

You either can think of capturing AI-fleets (would distinguish it greatly from plain XP fleeting..) with dura 1

and giving some sort of bonus to board and capture "real" player-sailed ships...

Why else should a Pirate clan meet on a Saturday to go on a big mission to get those?

Edited by Wilson09

I'd also like each nation to only be able to craft their own vessels. It would be more realistic and actually make each faction have its own identity.

If you wanted a ship from another faction, well, you'd have to board one and capture it, like they did in the past.

But yeah. It"s still too early for that with the current number of ships we have.

We would need to have at least 1 ship for each rate per faction or close to that.

So nice idea, but as for now, technical issues get in the way.

Until we get the pacific (or Europe) added there would be no historical grounds for adding Russia.

Denmark and Sweden had larger navies and had colonies in the Caribbean.

And this would make zero sense until the time when every nation have ships of every rate... and they need a number of 5th and 6th rates...

Maybe in a few years...

• Like 1

Oh, that´s a nice idea. Blueprints...imagine the "breaking news", someone broke up a captured Santissima (instead of sailing it)

and he finally gets a Blueprint (with a chance of 1:100).... ;)

Well, I'm a level 50 crafter.  I have every bp but a pavel.    I gained the Trinc, Constitution and 3rd rate bp's by doing just this.  Currently if you are a high enough crafter you have a very good chance of getting a bp drop.  So I'm not talking out my arse per say, I'm talking by experience and if it is a 5x dura, 3x dura or a 1 dura for each  class and is full health this also buffs your chances....so yes it actually is a fact and i did this before THEY BUFFED the bp drop.....so form your own opinion.  I have mine.   B)

On the topic of crafting, nats feel pirates shouldn't craft to suit the realism of the time.  What everyone needs to remember, this is a game.  You are not going to get pirates who want to be 100% pirate.  Some pirates who care less about conquest, national alliances, and want to kill anyone may also want to craft.

Great Britain: Cutter, Pickle, Snow, Cerberus, Trincomalee, Bellona, Victory

Two of these ships were drawn from French lines. That should should show why this would be a silly idea even if it wouldn't bankrupt GameLabs by requiring seven times as much content.

The basic idea is limiting the shipyard restricting players to national/historical ships,

not necessarily douple or triple the number of available ships.

But like games in Total War Arena, most players don´t care about history-links, as long it is "fun"

(relating to the game where it is possible to play Arminius alongside Leonidas and Cesar in battle).

Arcade gaming. Nothing wrong about it...

>>What happened, if every nation could only CRAFT their respective ships only?

What´s wrong about that?

Instead of "bashing" me, you could come up with precise information.

So, the Brits used ships from the French line?

I am by no means an expert at this topic, nor do i pretend to be one.

I am just saying, limit the ships to the ones, originally being used

by the factions in this certain period.

Also, I´d be a big supporter of tightening the time period being played.

Edited by Wilson09

It's a nice idea on the face of it, but as Maturin said the reality is that you'd need specific national counterparts for most of these ships which creates a pile of new - and currently unnecessary - work for the developers. Each of the current ships more-or-less fill a particular role (early trainer, trader, ship of the line, interceptor, whatever) and removing a nations ability, even just early on, to fill one of those roles because they can't craft the ship that fills it purely for cosmetic reasons would be a poor choice, I think.

Also, I´d be a big supporter of tightening the time period being played.

+1 on this.

To expand a bit it would be interesting to explore different servers being different time periods rather than just arbitrary divisions.

In the 1700-1720 server there is no US faction. Spain is a major player. Pirates are a HUGE issue.  Add some 17th century ships. There are no Trincs, or Connies, etc...

In the 1800-1820 server you have the super frigates. Spain, the Dutch, and pirates are marginal.

There's a reason there's a nerf the Trinco thread. It's pretty much the most modern ship in the game.

• Like 2