Game-Labs Forum

Huge FPS drop

Ned Loe

What temps? what are your specs? what is your utilisation like?

i have not have any lower fps after the patch, but that might just be me

Has nothing to do with temperatures. This is actually being talked about a lot in general chat and nation on PvP1 currently and is widespread. Graphical settings have 0 impact on it so I can only imagine it is related to something to do with the Physx changes. I'm not sure if admin was abbreviating physics or actually talking about Nvidia PhysX. Either way both would put more CPU cycle load on a non Nvidia graphics based system and Unity engine is pretty CPU focused.

• Like 1

I think I've noticed the days being more sunny and colorful which I imagine will take more GPU resources. I play on max setting using an 390X and am getting 60+ fps in combat and 45-50 in the open world which appears to be a small increase after the patch.

ppl worry about FPS way to much...your TV works on a 25-30 fps basis as do most films. You don't see people complaining about frame rates then. If its 30 or above with a large number of players being in the area....don't worry

please lets not start a fps debate...

Anyway, sometimes with new patches, graphics settings get reset.  Maybe check the settings.

Edited by Petrov
  • Like 1

please lets not start a fps debate...

Anyway, sometimes with new patches, graphics settings get reset.  Maybe check the settings.

It isn't a settings issue. I get the same lowered fps on everything at lowest and maximum. MSAA off on both. I'm sure it's not intentional and most likely an issue with a certain selection of video cards. 

i5 - 3570K

AMD 7970 / 280X

Edited by Cragger

ppl worry about FPS way to much...your TV works on a 25-30 fps basis as do most films. You don't see people complaining about frame rates then. If its 30 or above with a large number of players being in the area....don't worry

Lol.

Most films and TV series indeed run at 25-30 FPS, but the thing you have to realize is that the human eye can easily catch variation. In the case of movies doing 25 FPS, you know that during the whole movie, the frame rate will stay constantly at 25FPS from the beginning to the end no matter what, this will fool your eyes. Which is why almost nobody complain about it.

In the case of a game however, FPS change constantly depending on what's happening on your screen and never stays constantly at a set FPS, which is why even when you have let's say, in average 50fps ingame, your still feel this "stuttering"  and discomfort happening.

The only time you won't feel that is if your ingame FPS are above the refreshing rate of your screen, which is on most monitor still 60 hertz. And this is why most people wants to play above 60fps, because it's smooth just like a movie.

Edited by Nalyd
  • Like 1

It's caused by whatever changes were made to land masses. When you have no land in sight you get the same or similar FPS to when you were right outside a port prior to the update.

Can confirm, getting 50fps in the middle of the Gulf atm.

Has nothing to do with temperatures. This is actually being talked about a lot in general chat and nation on PvP1 currently and is widespread. Graphical settings have 0 impact on it so I can only imagine it is related to something to do with the Physx changes. I'm not sure if admin was abbreviating physics or actually talking about Nvidia PhysX. Either way both would put more CPU cycle load on a non Nvidia graphics based system and Unity engine is pretty CPU focused.

I'm with the same problem since I bought the game. (http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/10378-low-performance-on-nvidia-gtx-960/?hl=performance) But no answer. A lot of people with Nvidia cards have this problems. I've met 1 guy with a 960 with 1fps, other guy with 970 with 25fps... this isn't normal.

With a 2016 Mid-High PC, this game must be playable.

1. it is entirely possible, the info is nice to have anyways for troubleshooting as there are people reporting increased temps with this patch, increased themps can lead to hitting the thermal limit which can lead to thermal throtteling

2. It uses NVidia Physx(unity engine does), so the performance impact would in theory be higher on AMD cards(especially if you have a weaker CPU) however i noticed absolutely no regression in performance with max settings with the following setup:

CPU: fx 8320 @ 4.3GHz

RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz

GPU: r9 nano @ 1040MHz core & 530MHz memory

ps: just a suggestion, when reporting problems that could be hardware related somehow(like worse fps, graphical artifacts etc.) including the specs is always usefull in troubleshooting.

we are looking into the FPS problem

most likely it is caused by transfer of some functions to GPU

workarounds 

put graphics onto medium and increase options gradually until you get a comfortable fps in the OW

alternatively lower game resolution 1 notch 

My spec: Phenom2 x4 970 3.8Ghz         - Usage in game: 40-50% on all cores

Asus Amd Radeon R9 290x    - Usage in game: 99% all the time no matter the settings used

8 gigs of ram at 1600 mhz  

No matter WHAT option i choose this never changes. Usage always is the same.

And graphics changes usually result in minor FPS gain. 

FXAA- off

Antistropic filtering- off

shadows- low/low

AA- off

Texture/lvl of detail is at max.

Ress. 1080p

This settings will give me 38-42 fps open world near land and in small battles with few ships.

On open water with no land in sight i will get about 50. Battles with many ships i get a FPS drop to around 25-30 at max!

So this is the weird thing.. I know my proc i an older one but it's still underutilized. I can still surf the web, watch YT videos while playing the game so i know the CPU has enough juice left.

Why my card is on 99% i really don't know. I had a less powerful card with the same results. 

Whatever is going on here i believe i should be doing better FPS wise with my rig. Not maybe by much but a bit better. 

No matter WHAT option i choose this never changes. Usage always is the same.

And graphics changes usually result in minor FPS gain.

Well regarding GPU usage, 100% or close to it(so in your case 99%) is excactly what you want

Please admin, can you begin to optimize a little the game?

If you do it when is close to release the amount of work would be huge. And all of us knows what happens to unoptimized games at release...

Going for optimizations to early on leads to a large amount of wastage due to the fact that some might have to be undone, redone, or cause issues with other things added later. That said being efficient in design as you go is just as important as some poor performing aspects (*cough* Scaleform operations for UI as some other titles have done *cough*) can never be optimized away. 

2. It uses NVidia Physx(unity engine does), so the performance impact would in theory be higher on AMD cards(especially if you have a weaker CPU) however i noticed absolutely no regression in performance with max settings with the following setup:

CPU: fx 8320 @ 4.3GHz

RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz

GPU: r9 nano @ 1040MHz core & 530MHz memory

I agree, i saw no difference after yesterday's patch, running the game on ultra on :

CPU : AMD fx8350  (max 25% while playing, 30% while playing+streaming)

GPU : MSI R9280x (running at 99% when playing, a bit more than 50% dedicated memory used)

RAM 8Gb (~4Gb used)

I have between 47 and 52 fps, no matter where i am.

Edited by Jean Henry de Eden

I'm confused about my own FPS.

I have a GTX 980, and so do two of my clannies. When I said I think the game is locked at 30fps they jumped in and said they were getting 60.  I matched my game settings to match theirs but it made no difference. I was getting 30-32 fps no matter what I did.

Recently been playing the division and getting a steady 60fps so I know it's not my card / rig.

Totally stumped by this one.

I'm confused about my own FPS.

I have a GTX 980, and so do two of my clannies. When I said I think the game is locked at 30fps they jumped in and said they were getting 60.  I matched my game settings to match theirs but it made no difference. I was getting 30-32 fps no matter what I did.

Recently been playing the division and getting a steady 60fps so I know it's not my card / rig.

Totally stumped by this one.

Please check the Graphics options in the game:

Battle FPS and Open World FPS, there might be a 30 FPS limit in your settings

we are looking into the FPS problem

most likely it is caused by transfer of some functions to GPU

workarounds 

put graphics onto medium and increase options gradually until you get a comfortable fps in the OW

alternatively lower game resolution 1 notThank you. I've been asking for a month and finally do something about this problem.

Thank you. I've been asking for a month and finally do something about this problem.

Please check the Graphics options in the game:

Battle FPS and Open World FPS, there might be a 30 FPS limit in your settings

Yeah I checked that, I disabled both. 

I have done some more tinkering and found that the bottleneck is the processor. I overclocked my processor and managed to get the frame rates up to 50-55. Did get BSOD so stopped the OC. Back down to 30fps.

Not sure if this is something that can be addressed by the devs since I can play AAA games no probs @ 60fps.

It's not a big deal tbh, 30fps is absolutely fine tbh.

Yeah I checked that, I disabled both. 

I have done some more tinkering and found that the bottleneck is the processor. I overclocked my processor and managed to get the frame rates up to 50-55. Did get BSOD so stopped the OC. Back down to 30fps.

Not sure if this is something that can be addressed by the devs since I can play AAA games no probs @ 60fps.

It's not a big deal tbh, 30fps is absolutely fine tbh.

What CPU you got?

What CPU you got?

It was an 8 core phenom II something or other.

Not to worry though, I've brought my other PC up from the office and I'm getting 110-115 FPS on medium, 80-90 FPS on High, and 60-70 FPS on Ultra.  Me is a happy boy again :D

So CPU definitely plays a big part regardless of what card you have.

Intel® Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32712MB RAM
DirectX Version: 12
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

Top Right Hand Corner  :lol: 

112.png

Edited by Long Beard
  • Like 2