Game-Labs Forum

'Friheten' Swedish 4th rate 1728 60 guns (With Plans)

Ned Loe

Based upon my present study of the picture provided:

-The inscription in red by the bow, "Flottornas Constr cont Tillhorig" if i have read it correctly is Sweedish; and means  "Fleet _____ _____ Belonging", leading to an assumption that this is a royal vessel due to the crown atop the inscription. I couldn't figure out what Constr Cont means, but I'm assuming it has something to do with construction or construction for.

-Built 25th June 1728; im hoping this more specific date will help out.

-I barely can read the scrawly cursive but I am making an assumption that the name is something like "Feliagland"? I'm really making a shot in the dark there. I thought it could be "Fredericus III" based on some wikipedia lists but I really don't know. 

Edited by _Masterviolin
  • Like 1

It's swedish indeed. A rough translation of the text in the bottom right is: "...The amirality has ordered 14 June 1728, to make a blueprint of a man-of-war with 60 cannons, after the dimensions of the ship(?) A.Brehmen ....150 foot long, 39 foot wide...Karlscrona (Karlskrona) 25 June 1728."

I'm going to make some more research but I'm not sure if this ship was ever made though. I don't recognize any name.

Edited by Olof Cederström

It could be Friheten (60 cannons). They started constructing it 1728 and it was finished 1731. Built in Karlskrona.

It could possible be these too

Edited by Ligatorswe
  • Like 1

The drawing of the ship is by Charles Sheldon (he were the shipbuildmaster during this time).

He were in charge of over 59 ships. But the closest to the time is as Ligatorswe have writen either Enigheten or Friheten.

But if its a 60 gun ship its more likley to be Friheten as Enigheten had 66 cannons.

Well I found out propably where you got the blueprint from

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/K0025081_00001?beta=true#?s=0&cv=0&c=0&m=0&z=-0.0206%2C-0.1167%2C0.834%2C0.5621

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/?Sokord=Charles+Sheldon&EndastDigitaliserat=false&AvanceradSok=False&FacettFilter=arkis_ark_typ_facet%24Karta%2fritning%3a&FacettState=7p%2fdfg%3ac%7c&page=6&postid=Arkis+3D524ABB-A478-42BD-BFCB-345730FE91C2&tab=post#tab<--- this link if the one top dont work and just press on the button "Bild"

It seems like he got an order on to do a 60 gun ship and go from the demensions of the ship HMS Bremen (which he also built)

Edit: The link on Riksarkivet which meantion HMS Friheten is this link : https://sok.riksarkivet.se/?Sokord=Friheten&EndastDigitaliserat=false&AvanceradSok=False&FacettFilter=arkis_ark_typ_facet%24Karta%2fritning%3a&FacettState=7p%2fdfg%3ac%7c&page=1&postid=Arkis+DDF5BD76-CF7B-4FEA-95C5-384C70D8006F&tab=post#tabNo picture of the plans but its possible to get it scanned or get to look on the drawing (unsure on how they do only asked for pictures from the 50s over the shotdown of DC3 in the baltic sea)

Edited by Tomms123

Look at the figurehead at the bowsprit. It looks like a lion with a crown. Liberty (Friheten) or unity (Enigheten)?

Indeed its a lion with a crown. I think this is ,to 99% chance, HMS Friheten as its a 60 gun vessel. HMS Bremen were also a 60 gun vessel and it states the demensions on this ship on the blueprint shall go from HMS Bremen.

Found this:

Friheten - Freedom (66 guns ) was a Swedish ship of the line built in 1731 by Smith in Karlskrona ; participated in sjötågen 1741 , 1757 , 1760 and 1762 ; sold in Karlskrona in 1781 , and later wrecked at 1'illau

Lower Gun Deck 26 Swedish 24-Pounder
Upper Gun Deck 24 Swedish 12-Pounder
Quarterdeck/Forecastle 16 Swedish 6-Pounder

Found this:

Friheten - Freedom (66 guns ) was a Swedish ship of the line built in 1731 by Smith in Karlskrona ; participated in sjötågen 1741 , 1757 , 1760 and 1762 ; sold in Karlskrona in 1781 , and later wrecked at 1'illau

Lower Gun Deck 26 Swedish 24-Pounder
Upper Gun Deck 24 Swedish 12-Pounder
Quarterdeck/Forecastle 16 Swedish 6-Pounder

Can't be. Friheten = Freedom had 60 guns. Enigheten = Unity had 66 guns.

If we count the cannons port on the blueprint its 29 on each side. So 29*2=58. So this is either a 60 gun ship or they also count the bow chasers/stearn chasers into the count.

https://books.google.se/books?id=RchAAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA305&lpg=RA1-PA305&dq=friheten+linjeskepp&source=bl&ots=cqSNZ01cLm&sig=gw7Ec27foBRI5KO3hIqCKVtGo44&hl=sv&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7qNfT26fLAhWndpoKHRIOAfMQ6AEITjAI#v=onepage&q=friheten%20linjeskepp&f=false

Same text but it state 60 guns not 66 guns.

Edited by Tomms123

Can't be. Friheten = Freedom had 60 guns. Enigheten = Unity had 66 guns.

If we count the cannons port on the blueprint its 29 on each side. So 29*2=58. So this is either a 60 gun ship or they also count the bow chasers/stearn chasers into the count.

https://books.google.se/books?id=RchAAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA305&lpg=RA1-PA305&dq=friheten+linjeskepp&source=bl&ots=cqSNZ01cLm&sig=gw7Ec27foBRI5KO3hIqCKVtGo44&hl=sv&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7qNfT26fLAhWndpoKHRIOAfMQ6AEITjAI#v=onepage&q=friheten%20linjeskepp&f=false

Same text but it state 60 guns not 66 guns.

I thought it was a 58 gun ship (only counting 29 the first time too) but there is a single notch on the forecastle which gives it the proper 30.

I thought it was a 58 gun ship (only counting 29 the first time too) but there is a single notch on the forecastle which gives it the proper 30.

You're right there is a gun placement on weather deck on the front. Didnt notice that one ^^ Yeah then its 30*2=60