Game-Labs Forum

News from the south

admin

Map wipes when a faction wins the map or mets certain victory conditions happen regularily in the already 15 year running MMO World War 2 Online / Battleground Europe. It's part of the game.

XP progress remains and stays with the character and account. But the map is reset. It enables a fresh game from time to time, new strategies, alliances or to try and play another faction the next time..

• Like 1

Oh man, I'm so glad we elected this guy to speak on behalf of all of us. Good call, everyone. Drinks are on me! ;)

Hmm, you're not very good with the English language, are you?  (Perhaps, you are Quebecois?)

My statement addresses the group (particularly those thinking that moving the Spanish capital will somehow solve Spain losing all its ports).  My statement doesn't presume to speak for anyone, but myself.

I'll take that drink though, thanks.  Scotch, neat.  ;)

Hmm, you're not very good with the English language, are you?  (Perhaps, you are Quebecois?)

Quebecious? Perish the thought! No, it was more about teasing you for presuming to speak for "everyone," as it's done so frequently. Nothing personal; I would do the same to anyone that did so. I'm obstinate like that ;)

I'll take that drink though, thanks.  Scotch, neat.  ;)

Scotch, always a fine choice indeed! I highly recommend Dallas Dhu 1979 (Gordon & MacPhail), if you can get your hands on a bottle. It's been my obsession since trying it at a tasting last year.

Edit: cleaned up the formatting with the quotes, which I bungled like an amateur.

Edited by Francis Tabernac

Quebecious? Perish the thought! No, it was more about teasing you for presuming to speak for "everyone," as it's done so frequently. Nothing personal; I would do the same to anyone that did so. I'm obstinate like that ;)

Scotch, always a fine choice indeed! I highly recommend Dallas Dhu 1979 (Gordon & MacPhail), if you can get your hands on a bottle. It's been my obsession since trying it at a tasting last year.

Edit: cleaned up the formatting with the quotes, which I bungled like an amateur.

Sorry, just assumed because of you're name, location, and since you sail for France.  As for the scotch, I'd love to try the Dallas Dhu 79, though it'd have to be a special occasion for that bottle.  Admittedly though, I'm more of an Islay man than Speyside.

Those tend to be peatier (for simplicity's sake), don't they? That's more along the lines of my brother's tastes than mine. He's been slowing nursing a bottle of Ardbeg Supernova that, if nothing else, will certainly clear your sinuses!

Edit: Got carried away thinking about scotch and forgot to answer the other part: no worries, the name was chosen only because I sail for France, and I only sail for France because a very old acquaintance that also plays has been a member of SLMFr for the last 12 years or some crazy thing. I'm originally from the west coast, but for all intents and purposes I'm a good ol' Albertan redneck ;)

Edited by Francis Tabernac

"Everyone here realizes that by removing the Spanish capital from Cuba, then you only put the next closest enemy to the US further away.......meaning more ports for the US to capture uncontested, meaning more resources for US, and creating a snowball effect that would make the US even more powerful.

So, you may move the Spanish capital, but Spain will still get demolished by the US if it so wishes.  And since Port conquest is central to the RvR success of this game, the US will still want to take their ports.

This changes nothing except helps the US snowball out of control even faster with no opposition in Cuba."

So, as Spanish, is that my goal in the game? To be a meat shield for The British? If you dont want the snow ball to grow, go take those ports first.

Althought I underestand the location of Havana as capital, because of historical reasons,(there were many other cities more important than Havana anyway. Havana was only the meeting point of the Spanish gold fleet before sailing to Spain) it is not only threatened by the US, also by pirates from the east and Brits from the South.

From my point of view as an Spanish player anywere between Victoria and Tordo would be nice. It is far from the rest (which would give us some time and an strategic advantage without the need of buffing us in any way)

Anyway, that wouldnt solve the problem either, since the main problem (from my point of view) is not the location but the game mechanics at the moment. Any decision the devs take regarding the location of the Spanish capital will be useless if all our ports (no mater where) can be taken while we are sleeping. 

Gaizka

Edited by Gaizka

This really isn't fair for the British

After spending literally a month waging a campaign down south in panama to capture ports, losing ships, time and spending effort waiting in the early hours of the morning to attack ports due to their timers, after fighting almost 40-50 Spanish players every time and effectively earning our victories there, it appears we are about to have all that effort get thrown out the window.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Spanish failed at diplomacy with the British and with the Americans, either refusing terms or attacking their ports.

The simple fact of the matter is that they clans then abandoned their own capital, leaving both their recruitment base and reinforcements, to set up a base in panama. This base was also strategically poor as it left the Spanish to literally get pushed in both sides by the Dutch and the British. They allowed the loss of their own ports.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Spanish lost in panama due to combined arms and teamwork; we brits had to work hard with the dutch to destroy those southern ports against fairly equal numbers.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Spanish lost by battles and not by mechanics; they lost their third rates, constitutions and other heavier vessels and therefore could not continue the fight. There was no foul play in taking or losing those vessels.

The simple fact of the matter is that both the British and Spanish abused their port timers, with on one occasions my clan having to wake up at 2AM in the morning to capture a port.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Spanish clans joined a European sever when they do not live in Europe of follow European time, that is their own fault.

The simple fact of the matter is that this move effectively negates any point of strategy; why should I, or any of my nation bother waging successful offensive when my opponents bad actions will simply be condoned and assisted by the developers? If my clan was this badly beaten I would not go to the forums and demand my opponents work be effectively made invalid.

This sets a bad precedent, and I hope all nations become aware that eventually this form of intervention will also affect them later on.

This really isn't fair for the British

I can agreed with a lot of your points here, but this is a Alpha game in Early Access stage. It needs to be adjusted, this is not for fix wrong decisions or diplomatics of some clans. This is for build a better and balanced game in release.

I am in this game since more a year now. I was lost my grind 3 times and I am grinding now again. I understand the Early Access and I accept it.

• Like 1

"The simple fact of the matter..."  is that you need a girl mate.

Spanish got zerged by the two largest factions on the server, until the devs add some mechanics to keep you kids from being so scrubby they can help em as they see fit.

Were it up to me they would get rid of all NPC's, you want to be the half the server faction? Fine, you going to have to hunt everyone everywhere to level and have fun.

Want to level quick and have fun? Play the underdog so you have more to fight.

• Like 1

No port reset, no capital location change and no mechanic is going to address an issue of a Nation failing to work together..  all it will do is set the whole process up to happen again, and this time, alliances are already formed and people will do exactly the same, but faster, so there will have to be more mechanics, more port resets and more location changes done with ever increasing frequency.

The only Issue I think the devs have to deal with is the issue of stopping a nation abandoning their home port for the sake of new players entering the game.

It's not the capturing nations that should have to suffer resets and restarts.

The logical approach, suggested many times by many people is that the home port should have a buffer of 3 or 4 ports either side of them to protect the newbies and give the nation a solid base to operate from even if they are reduced to that area only during hard times.

Other smaller nations have existed quite successfully by making (AND KEEPING) alliances and working as a cohesive group.

Just because there is no full game mechanic for diplomacy in the game to date doesn't mean it doesn't happen..  in fact it happens a lot and countless hours are taken up with it.

Nations that are capable of this shouldn't be penalised because another nation is only a group of players using the same flag that have no interest in working together.

Don't introduce mechanics that penalise those that play the game, but by all means protect new players into the game and provide a relief for players to fall back to when it all goes wrong.  When that Nation does start to get their act together, they will then have a strong base to spread out from to start progressing again.

As things wheel around, each nation may well find itself loosing areas and having to consolidate, but it should be evolution rather than mechanic.

Mailce 

The argument you lot are making of being "punished" for grouping up and crushing a lesser foe, makes me concerned that you have so much invested in this, that you would make such an unreasonable argument. 

Seriously, go for a walk or something.

The main issue with map wipes is that it makes no sense to relocate your "HQ" if you end up losing it every two months like you did in POBS.

British players very rarely bothered setting up Iron production and Forges in Port-of-Spain because after ever reset, it was Spanish again and whether it would be retaken right away was just too uncertain. Doing economy in other interesting ports was completely out of the question.

And just think about what this means for nations that start out with very few ports such as Sweden or the Dutch.

After reading the developers' goals on making ports much more defensible (such as gun batteries assisting attacked players outside ports and making certain ports much more difficult to attack) and hopefully the implementation of true diplomacy, I think a situation where one faction gets entirely annihilated will hopefully be mitigated. I hope that in the future there may be additional checks that make ganging up on one faction in particular less enticing to encourage attacks on different factions, but if anything I hope this encourages players who aren't afraid to take adversity head on to join Spain in the future. You certainly won't complain about a lack of PvP.

• Like 1

Please keep posts in the National News section related only to in game diplomacy and roleplaying in game news and actions.  Mechanics discussions must be made in the Open World, Economy, or Combat Mechanics forums.  Locking as having gone wildly off topic for this forum.  Keep it in the correct area please.