Game-Labs Forum

The Royal Danish American Gazette - Latest issue: November 8, 1797

Niels Terkildsen

• 7 months later...

I'm contemplating putting together one or two new issues of this newspaper, seeing as things have picked up a bit again - which I wish to encourage by providing some fluff, so to speak.

To help me with this, I encourage anyone that is in possession of relevant news, information, opinions, &c that could be conveyed in this humble newspaper, to contact me. Other contributions could be in the form of poetry, as well as satire, &c. I'd also encourage business-men within the proximity of the Danish American Islands to submit advertisements of any sort, be it requests or offers.

All of this can be sent by private mail, or delivered personally to me, Niels Terkildsen, Queen-Street, Christiansted.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Knobby said:

Nice, love the old newspaper style. Just wanted to say though that the 'long s' ,or 'f without crossbar', is only ever used when in the middle of a word. Never when it's the first or last letter of a word.

Only British used it afaik.

Also it is lovely to read the Prussians in the leewards as Ruffians :D

30 minutes ago, Knobby said:

Nice, love the old newspaper style. Just wanted to say though that the 'long s' ,or 'f without crossbar', is only ever used when in the middle of a word. Never when it's the first or last letter of a word.

Thank you!

I think you will find that the ſ (long s) was used both in the beginning and the middle of words, the exceptions being, obviously, when capitalising, and sometimes in compounds and the like - words such as successful where it may be written "ſucceſsful" (where the first part is ſucceſs, and that is how you write double-s when in the ending of words).

Example:

rdag-jan-30-1773-eugenio.jpg

28 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Only British used it afaik.

Also it is lovely to read the Prussians in the leewards as Ruffians :D

It was also used in a similar manner (with slightly different rules) in fraktur (in Germany and Denmark for example).

Ruffians is glorious indeed ^^

EDIT: See the issue from Friday the 23rd of September for actual use of Ruſſians under the headline: "Pirate Aggression".

Edited by Niels Terkildsen
  • Like 1