Game-Labs Forum

Map with ports controlled by nation

Mindfield

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mindfield.

Made a map some time ago showing nation controlled ports & contested information in real time (updates automatically every 15 minutes with in-game data).

At the moment it only supports PVP1 server, mainly because that is where I play at. If I get requests to implement other servers I will.

I am also open to other suggestions, however please note that my spare time is limited and they will take some time to be implemented.

Here is the link and a screenshot:

http://naval-action.byethost7.com/map/

42Cb0yE.png

• Like 3

Hello Mindfield.

Made a map some time ago showing nation controlled ports & contested information in real time (updates automatically every 15 minutes with in-game data).

At the moment it only supports PVP1 server, mainly because that is where I play at. If I get requests to implement other servers I will.

I am also open to other suggestions, however please note that my spare time is limited and they will take some time to be implemented.

Here is the link and a screenshot:

http://naval-action.byethost7.com/map/

42Cb0yE.png

Nice map  hopefully you will do one for pvp2...

All righty.

I uploaded a new version of the map. It includes a new menu system with I believe makes it easier to search for ports and find other usefull data. Furthermore, it enables me to include more features in the near future without getting it too clutter. It also includes a server selection, although as of right now, only PvP1 and PvP2 servers are available.

http://naval-action.byethost7.com/map

Check screenshots below:

Server selection

6PqpfxB.png

Search Ports updated

FnFAE49.png

Statistics and summary

Zbp4ma1.png

As usual, if you have any suggestions let me know.

Cheers.

Edited by MADCannon
  • Like 3

Shhh.. it's a secret.

Hint: Check log files, the clue is in there.  :D

So, I spent some quality time with the log files last night and missed it. Would love to know more about how you've set this up, from a technical standpoint. It's very cool.

Suggestions that might be interesting if feasible:

- Current server populations

- Number of players in each faction currently logged in

No idea if that's possible, but I did see one spot in one log file where a bunch of usernames were listed, so maybe?

• Like 1

So, I spent some quality time with the log files last night and missed it. Would love to know more about how you've set this up, from a technical standpoint. It's very cool.

Suggestions that might be interesting if feasible:

- Current server populations

- Number of players in each faction currently logged in

No idea if that's possible, but I did see one spot in one log file where a bunch of usernames were listed, so maybe?

Look in log files for RequestContestedPorts. If you need further technical explanations contact me in a private message.

Those usernames you saw are most likely to be your clan mates, or port capturers. Both are public information shown in the log.

About the population: While you can easily get the server population as a "High//Low" indicator, there is no "easy" way to know the number of players currently logged in, at least that I found. So will need to fiddle with it more if this data is to be shown somewhere in map.

• Like 1

its a very nice map, any chance you could (not sure if its doable) but add port timers to the map?

I believe it might be doable, however I am not sure if that information is meant to be publicly available from outside the game or if it will provide "too" much information for players/clans to easily plan for port battles and such, if you know what I mean. I might need to talk to a developer about this.

In the meantime, I will work on it.

Some friendly advice from a fellow log file analyst: the content of the log files can change with any patch update as the devs change what they are working on and testing.

There is no guarantee that the info logged today will still be recorded there tomorrow.

The work TDA has done with data from the game logs was always with the understanding that it could go away at any moment -- just to set expectations. ;-)

• Like 1

Some friendly advice from a fellow log file analyst: the content of the log files can change with any patch update as the devs change what they are working on and testing.

There is no guarantee that the info logged today will still be recorded there tomorrow.

The work TDA has done with data from the game logs was always with the understanding that it could go away at any moment -- just to set expectations. ;-)

Hello ObiQuiet. 

Thanks for the advice. 

I am not getting the data from the log files. The log files did, however, point me in the right direction. Whether *that* method is public and available in the future I do not know. And if it doesn't I always got other alternatives, though a bit more intrusive. But since I do not plan to invest the time to get there, I will have to drop this project. 

So for now, let's enjoy the map.  :D

Edited by MADCannon
  • Like 2

Changed a couple search options as well = "Show only found" will hide markers that don't fit the search criteria. If you want to show the results like it was before the change, you can always toggle that option off.

The process of showing/hiding markers takes a slight toll on the CPU (not much tho), but since someone told me they find it really useful I decided to implement it.

I will try to optimize it at much as possible during next week.

Have a nice weekend.

PD. Remember to make sure you clear the cache.

Truly wonderful creation. Helpful interesting aid to players to enable an illustrated view of our OW.

Thanks for preparing this. Hope you get as much enjoyment from it's development and our praise as I do from it's usefulness. Now when I log in I have a strategic view of the national distribution (and implied control ) surrounding me.

Recluses map is great for use with PhotoShop. Would be too hard on my download and processor speed to combine it with this.

Siegfried's map is awesome. The Burning Sail map is interactive and it would be great if yours was integrated with it. Regardless we have some wonderful resources now. Compliments all round. Thanks fellas.