Game-Labs Forum

The Hopefully Comprehensive List of Ships Ingame and in Development

Otherwise known as the "Brigand's not here; I'll have to come up with something" thread. :P

This thread is designed to be similar to Brigand's nigh-invaluable "List of ships and other vessels in the game" thread, but with some different info arranged in different ways. Note, however, that this is intended to be a companion to Brigand's thread, NOT a replacement. I have no wish to usurp his work. There's been a bunch of info that's surfaced over the past few months about new ships, as well as new ships being added to the game. Ordinarily, I'd just repost this info in Brigand's thread and suggest that he add it to his OP, but with him not around very much, what I post there has been getting lost in the discussion, and I've found myself having to dig in order to find it for other people. Therefore, I thought I'd create a new thread, using the most recent information available. Also, while Brigand's thread focuses on the real-life technical aspects (which I am not very knowledgeable about, so don't expect to find as much of it here), I thought I would provide ways of looking at this info that hopefully will benefit the people who are just interested knowing what we have, and will have, in the game. It seems very often that people argue that certain nations have too many or too few ships in-game, or that certain rates (size categories) of ships are too well or too poorly represented. I intend to organize the information in this thread in ways so that it will be easy for people to view the facts related to these topics, so that they may more easily form their own opinions regarding them. 

There is one more thing I feel I should mention: I want everyone who reads this to feel that they can trust the information they're reading. That means that the information here should be based on what we know, not what we're hoping is true. That means I'm not going to list a ship on here based on rumors or data-mining, at least until that ship is confirmed to be in development. That also means that, no matter how many times people ask, I'm not going to include player-made ships in here until it is confirmed that the specific ship(s) in question is(are) going to be added to the game. I have no wish to spread potential misinformation or say anything that may give people the wrong impression.

Disclaimer: Now, I'll try to keep this up-to-date for a little while, but I'm sure to move on eventually. My interests change over time, and real life can sometimes cause difficulties as well. That's just how it is. If this thread ever gets overly outdated, I sincerely hope that it gets consigned to the forum scrapyard, and a different thread takes its place. Now, enough of the preliminaries; let's begin:

My sources: 

(Read this if you want to, or you can scroll down to get right to the good stuff.)

Spoiler

1.) The "Work in Progress" thread. This is where the developers tend to post pictures of new ships that they're working on. You should check it now and then, if you don't already. 

2.) This quote, by Admin, originally posted here on October 1, 2015: 

On 10/1/2015 at 11:42 AM, admin said:

·      Unarmed and armed traders: (2 new ships planned, 2 possible)

·      Unrated 8-16 guns: Lynx, Cutter, Pickle, Yacht, Privateer

·      6th rates 16-26 guns: Brig, Navy Brig, Snow, Mercury, Cerberus (3 new ships planned)

·      5th rates 26-50 guns: Renomee, Surprise, Frigate and Variants, Belle Poule, Trincomalee (3 new ships planned)

·      4th rates 50-64 guns: Constitution (2 new ships planned)

·      3rd rates 64-80 guns: 74, Bellona (2 new ships planned)

·      2nd rates 80-100 guns: St. Paul (3 new ships planned)

·      1st rates 100-140 guns: Victory, Santisima (1 new ship planned)

3.) The aforementioned "List of ships and other vessels in the game" thread, which is itself a gathering of info from various sources, and lists the specific ships that are in the game or are confirmed to be in development. 

4.) This quote, confirming Agamemnon and Kepler (a fictional razee of the St. Pavel) to be in development:

On 3/23/2016 at 12:37 PM, Mirones said:

we get the option to razee ships 

Agammenom-Indefatigable 

and now 

Pavel-Kepler

4.1: More info on the Kepler: 

On 3/22/2016 at 8:21 PM, Prater said:

V3hV2Frm.png

zCw6Fz9.png

36 gun ports.

5.) The Player Ship Selection 1st half 2016- Final Poll. The winners by votes are Christian VII and Diana. 

6.) These quotes:

On 6/30/2016 at 7:49 AM, cgmax said:

le Bucentaure  is ready and waiting its turn for QA with others ships like Ocean, Hermione, Prince and others.  The dev team is focused on game-play issues and delivering the new patch. As mentioned before new ships will be added with every patch.

On 6/30/2016 at 10:21 AM, SteelSandwich said:

Prince references to the Prince de Neufchatel 1813, an 18-gun Schooner (US, not british):

http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=23487

7.) This gallery, courtesy of Kanay and OlavDeng2, of Santa Cecilia, also known as the "Black Ship" HMS Hermione. (Not to be confused with the French La Hermione whose replica was recently launched.) http://imgur.com/a/Ohea4

8.) This image, posted by the devs on their Facebook, of a gunboat.

9.) This thread on the Hercules: 

11: Pandora: 

10.) This quote from Naval Action's Facebook page, confirming HMS Endymion to be in development:

*A post from someone else, asking for more 24-pounder frigates*
Naval Action indefatigable and endymion will be such ships

11.) This quote from Barberouge, regarding the winners of the Player Ship Selection 2017 poll:  

• Montañés
  • Wrecker
  • Téméraire

12.) This quote from Admin, regarding the Player Ship Selection poll's wildcard:

admin, on 26 Oct 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:snapback.png

I think it was Wasa or Diana - need to check

HMS Leopard: https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/31189-forthcoming-seasonal-update-information-nsfw-leopards-and-npc-port-battles-on-the-peace-server/

Le Redoutable: https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/987-work-in-progress/?do=findComment&comment=675394

HMS Implacable (Duguay-Trouin): https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/987-work-in-progress/?do=findComment&comment=676560

Note: Le Redoubtable and HMS Implacable (formerly the French ship Duguay-Trouin) are both variants of the Téméraire class, so it's safe to assume that they are going to be representing the Téméraire class which won the player ship selection poll.

Now, by combining the information from the various sources above, we can get an idea of what's in development, and how that stacks up alongside what we've already got. Keep reading to see for yourself:

Ships by rate: 

For simplicity, I'm going to use the rate system that Admin used in the quote above. If I've listed anything incorrectly from how it is in-game, please let me know. I'm sure there are those of you who will argue the historical accuracy of this rating system, but I'm not sure if that's the point here. Note, however, that we don't know how some of the ships that are in development are rated, and since they could be listed in one of multiple categories, I've tried to list them wherever it seems likely that they might be rated. In these cases, I've listed the ships like this, in both the categories that they might belong to: "[named ship] or unknown ship." If the named ship turns out (when it is released) to belong to one category, then the unknown ship will be the ship in the other category, and vice versa. Edit 3/7/2019: I'm listing all the unknown ships as "possibly in development" now. It was a long time ago when they were mentioned, so who knows if the devs are still working on them, or they may have been added to the game already.

Traders: 6 in-game, 0 known to be in development, 2 possibly in development. In-game: Trader Cutter, Trader Lynx, Trader Brig, Trader Snow, Le Gros Ventre, Indiaman. In development: Two unknown ships might be in development.

Unrated / 7th rates, 2-16 guns: 7 in-game, 0 known to be in development. In-game: Lynx, Cutter (Alert), Yacht, Pickle, Privateer, Mortar Brig, Gunboat.

6th rates, 16-26 guns: 8 in-game, 1 in development. In-game: Brig (Fair American), Navy Brig, Rattlesnake, Rattlesnake (Heavy), Snow (Ontario), Mercury, Niagara, Prince de Neufchatel. In development: Pandora.

5th rates, 26-50 guns:  15 in-game, 1 in development. In-game: Cerberus, Hercules, Le Requin, La Renommée, Surprise (L'Unité), L'Hermione, La Belle Poule, Santa Cecilia, Frigate, Pirate Frigate, Essex, Indefatigable, Endymion, Trincomalee, Diana. In development, Kepler.

4th rates, 50-64 guns: 7 in-game, 1 in development. In-game: Constitution, United States, Ingermanland, Agamemnon, Wappen von Hamberg III, Wasa, Rättvisan. In development: Leopard.

3rd rates, 64-80 guns: 2 in-game, 4 in development, 2 possibly in development. In-game: Bellona, 74. In development: Le Redoutable, Implacable (Duguay-Trouin), Montañés, Wreker. Possibly in development: unknown 3rd rate, unknown 3rd rate.

2nd rates, 80-100 guns: 3 in-game, 2 possibly in development. In-game: Saint Paul/Pavel, Le Bucentaure, Christian VII. Possibly In development: unknown 2nd rate, unknown 2nd rate.

1st rates, 100-140 guns: 3 in-game, 0 known to be in development. In-game: Victory, Santisima Trinidad, L'Océan. 

Ships by nationality:

This is a list of the nationalities of the known ships in-game and in development. The unknown ships obviously aren't listed, because we don't know what nations they'll belong to. A lot of this info is from Brigand's thread; please correct me if I get anything wrong. I'm also not going to count the trader variants (trader lynx, cutter, snow, brig), as they're reskins of their non-trader counterparts. The Frigate and Pirate Frigate aren't listed, since they're kind of a mix of designs. The Privateer, Navy Brig & Mortar Brig, Rattlesnake (Heavy) and 74 aren't listed, as they're reskins/variants of the Lynx, Brig (Fair American), Rattlesnake, and Bellona, respectively. The Gunboat isn't listed because it may just be a generic design. The Hercules isn't listed here because we don't know who originally built it.

British: 11 in-game, 2 in development. In-game: Cutter (Alert), Pickle, Snow (Ontario), Cerberus, Santa Cecilia, Indefatigable, Endymion, Trincomalee, Agamemnon, Bellona, Victory. In development: Pandora, Leopard.

American: 8 in-game, 0 known to be in development. In-game: Lynx, Brig (Fair American), Prince de Neufchatel, Rattlesnake, Niagara, Essex, Constitution, United States. 

French: 8 in-game, 2 in development. In-game: Le Gros Ventre, Le Requin, La Renommée, Surprise (L'Unité), L'Hermione, La Belle Poule, Le Bucentaure, L'Océan. In development: Le Redoutable, Implacable (Duguay-Trouin).

Russian: 3 in-game, 1 in development. In-game: Mercury,  Ingermanland, Saint Paul/Pavel. In development: Kepler.

Swedish: 4 in-game, 0 known to be in development. In-game: Yacht, Indiaman, Wasa, Rättvisan

Spanish: 2 in-game, 1  in development. In-game: Diana, Santisima Trinidad. In development: Montañés. 

Dutch: 0 in-game, 1 in development. In development: Wreker.

Danish: 1 in-game, 0 known to be  in development. In-game: Christian VII.

German: 1 in-game, 0 known to be in development. In-game: Wappen von Hamburg III.

---

And I think that just about does it. Tell me if you'd like anything else added to this, or if I've made any mistakes. 

Edited by Arvenski
Updated 10/27/2019
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Trincomalee is 5th rate in game.

Dude, I still don't know what to do about that rating thing. (It would probably help, though, if it wasn't 12:25 in the morning and if I didn't have a cat mewing at me. :P) Maybe I'll figure something out tomorrow. 

Edited by Arvenski
  • Like 1

Show very well the  absurdity of the high number of US ships in the game...

The Constitution I can understand since that was a rather special design... but no good reason for selecting US ships for the other ship classes... other than pandering to US playerbase at the expense of history.

No one is forcing you to play. There are plenty of ships in the timeframe that the U.S can use. No one country is better for the game than any other.

Problem is not the number of US ships... but the low number of ships for the other nations.

The other nations all had bigger navies than the US...
That makes them way more important than the US if you want to cover this period in naval history... and that is what the webpage say they want.

Also the simple fact that the US only existed for the last part of the period this game try to cover makes it a clear case of money beats history... 

The number of ship models should reflect that...

But atm they are clearly more interested in pandering to US players, than providing a representative collection of ship models.

• Like 1

well.. a lot of ships were selected via player votes.

Its not the devs fault that the users voted for the lineup we have.

And its fact that the US is a huge part of the Naval Action community.

@Arvenski you may want to add the "Frigate" under swedish ships since its a chapman design

And then there is the Farquharson as a spanish ship. (I guess Ragnars ships are approved for further work)

• Like 1

@Bungee Lemming: The Frigate may be partly based on a Chapman design, but isn't she also based on a Russian design as well (the Cherubim)? Also, I'm not listing player-made ships until they are confirmed by the devs to be on their way to implementation in-game. 

@Mighty Alex: Unité is French, sure, but don't people generally think of her in-game as HMS Surprise?  ;) 

Edited by Arvenski

Great thread, hope you can keep it up to date as ships are developed.

As for ratings I would use in game rates, as players without the extensive knowledge of age of sail will be confused with your list when in game if they are looking at a specific rate and they don't see the ship listed there. 

@Bungee Lemming: The Frigate may be partly based on a Chapman design, but isn't she also based on a Russian design as well (the Cherubim)? Also, I'm not listing player-made ships until they are confirmed by the devs to be on their way to implementation in-game. 

@Mighty Alex: Unité is French, sure, but don't people generally think of her in-game as HMS Surprise?  ;) 

Yep but many ships traded hands and some more than once. I would list as country of origin.

• Like 1

What matters is who designed and built a ship, not who captured her (sometimes there's a succession of captures) or from what nation some players think she's. That's a significant issue for french plans as long as the best online source of information for them is the Royal Museums of Greenwich (providing plans of only captured ships) and not the French naval Museum.

However, ship nationality is indeed a minor issue.

• Like 1

Great thread, hope you can keep it up to date as ships are developed.

As for ratings I would use in game rates, as players without the extensive knowledge of age of sail will be confused with your list when in game if they are looking at a specific rate and they don't see the ship listed there.

Players with extensive knowledge of Age of Sail will also be confused because there was not one single system of rating, and even particular systems changed with time. Rates are arbitrary and tell you nothing about actual relative combat power. Counting guns can lead you astray as well.

But yes, the in-game rating system should be used.

• Like 1

Otherwise known as the "Brigand's not here; I'll have to come up with something" thread. :P

This thread is designed to be similar to Brigand's nigh-invaluable "List of ships and other vessels in the game" thread, but with some different info arranged in different ways. Note, however, that this is intended to be a companion to Brigand's thread, NOT a replacement. I have no wish to usurp his work. There's been a bunch of info that's surfaced over the past few months about new ships, as well as new ships being added to the game. Ordinarily, I'd just repost this info in Brigand's thread and suggest that he add it to his OP, but with him not around very much, what I post there has been getting lost in the discussion, and I've found myself having to dig in order to find it for other people. Therefore, I thought I'd create a new thread, using the most recent information available. Also, while Brigand's thread focuses on the real-life technical aspects (which I am not very knowledgeable about, so don't expect to find as much of it here), I thought I would provide ways of looking at this info that hopefully will benefit the people who are just interested knowing what we have, and will have, in the game. It seems very often that people argue that certain nations have too many or too few ships in-game, or that certain rates (size categories) of ships are too well or too poorly represented. I intend to organize the information in this thread in ways so that it will be easy for people to view the facts related to these topics, so that they may more easily form their own opinions regarding them. So, without much further ado, here goes:

Disclaimer: Now, I'll try to keep this up-to-date for a little while, but I'm sure to move on eventually. My interests change over time, and real life can sometimes cause difficulties as well. That's just how it is. If this thread ever gets overly outdated, I sincerely hope that it gets consigned to the forum scrapyard, and a different thread takes its place. 

British: 8 in-game, 1 3 in development. In-game: Cutter Alert, Pickle, Snow Ontario, Cerberus, Surprise, Trincomalee, Bellona, Victory. In development: Indefatigable, Hermione(Blackship), Farquharson.

American: 5 in-game, 2 in development. In-game: Lynx, Brig Fair American, Navy Brig, Niagara, Constitution. In development: Essex, Rattlesnake.

French: 2 in-game, 3 in development. In-game: Renomee, Belle Poule. In development: Gros Ventre, Bucentaure, Le Commerce de Marseille(Ocean-Class). 

Russian: 2 in-game, 1 in development. In-game: Mercury, Saint Paul/Pavel. In development: Ingermanland.

Spanish: 1 in-game, 0 known to be in development. In-game: Santisima Trinidad. 

Dutch: 0 in-game, 1 in development. In development: Amsterdam.

Swedish: 1 in-game, 0 known to be in development. In-game: Yacht, "Cherubin" chapman hulllines.

Danish: 0 in-game, 0 known to be in development.

---

And I think that just about does it. Tell me if you'd like anything else added to this, or if I've made any mistakes. Obviously, there's going to be changes as soon as the Player Ship Selection poll is finished; I'll update this post when the time comes. 

of course there might be more that i am not allowed to tell you otherwise check the dutch Wiki: http://navalaction.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

Cutter/Alert, Snow/Ontario: People know those vessels as the Cutter and the Snow. I may edit the post to include their historical names as well, but I'm not just going to call them the Alert and the Ontario. Same with the Brig/Navy Brig/Fair American. That might confuse folks.

Hermione's name was found through datamining, as far as I know, and I'm not sure if I want to include that in my list. The way I see it, we don't know if that was just part of some scrapped dev project that someone forgot to delete from the file system. People leave crap lying around in all sorts of places. I don't want to give the wrong impression by listing something as "in development" if we don't actually know if it's coming.

Farquharson: until they're confirmed to be going to be implemented in-game, I'm not listing player-made ships.

And no, I'm not listing the Frigate as Swedish. Sorry. 

Edited by Arvenski

of course there might be more that i am not allowed to tell you otherwise check the dutch Wiki: http://navalaction.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

The name of the french trader "Le Gros Ventre" is incorrectly written in the Wiki : "Grosse Ventre" (http://navalaction.wikia.com/wiki/Grosse_Ventre)

See e. g. : http://ancre.fr/fr/monographies/51-monographie-du-gros-ventre-gabare-du-roi-1766.html

Moreover, French ship names keep the definite article : La Renommée, Le Gros Ventre, Le Bucentaure, Le Commerce de Marseille, L'Unité.

I know : these are just details...  :)

Okay, the OP's been edited. The Cutter, Snow, Brig, and Navy Brig now have their historical names listed in parentheses; the rating list has hopefully been cleaned up (I may have over-thought it the first time, as cleaning it up was a lot simpler than I expected: I just had to think "outside the box" a bit), and the proper technicalities of written French have been edited in. :P

Show very well the  absurdity of the high number of US ships in the game...

The Constitution I can understand since that was a rather special design... but no good reason for selecting US ships for the other ship classes... other than pandering to US playerbase at the expense of history.

Actually if you look at it from a ship design point of view rather than simply who had the biggest navy it is not so absurd and not "at the expense of history". Note also that the US ships other than the Constitution are all smaller ships, 6th rate and smaller.

Lets take the Lynx , and Privateer. These ships represent a new design of fast schooners known as Baltimore Clippers. They featured in the War of 1812 as privateers and blockade runners. They were part of the shipbuilding industry in the US after the revolution. Some further reading:

http://www.maritimeheritage.org/ships/baltimoreClippers.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Clipper

The Niagara  is a similar design (sharp hull and tall rig), although with a brig (snow) rig. So I think these ships represent differences in ship design particular to the US shipbuilding industry of the time. From that point of view these ships represent a unique ship class for NA and should be in the game.

As for the Navy Brig I did not know that modeled after a US ship. I thought it was modeled after British brigs like the Cruizer class. Actually it may have been a response to calls for a more powerful brig.

Development priorities.

First we will continue tuning and balancing the ships and general gameplay. This includes ship performance, damage, resources pricing, distribution of goods and many other things.

Second we will add new ships. We plan to add at least 1 ship every month. We of course will try to add more. if the game will continue doing well we will add as many as possible.

Development schedule.

We plan to deliver content patches approximately every month. Gameplay tuning patches are going to be delivered weekly, sometimes bi-weekly. Hotfixes will be delivered immediately when they are needed (like the hot fix of chat tomorrow)

Anyone here who can tell me how long ships usually take to get implemented? I realise it's not an easy question, but i'm wondering if there's any reason hoping for more ships in the next one or 2 big patches. 

5 minimum wich includes 3 Traders and offical release of Niagara and Ingermanland.

but there might come some more toys besides them.

Edited the OP to include this bit here:

There is one more thing I feel I should mention: I want everyone who reads this to feel that they can trust the information they're reading. That means that the information here should be based on what we know, not what we're hoping is true. That means I'm not going to list a ship on here based on rumors or data-mining, at least until that ship is confirmed to be in development. That also means that, no matter how many times people ask, I'm not going to include player-made ships in here until it is confirmed that the specific ship(s) in question is(are) going to be added to the game. I have no wish to spread potential misinformation or say anything that may give people the wrong impression.

Hopefully that should clarify what I'm trying to do a bit. 

Edited by Arvenski